Income tax filing for my late husband

This query is : Resolved 

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 20 March 2017

1. My husband expired in 2014 at age of 80.His income was below taxable limits. There was tds deducted from rental income in ay1516.His returns were not filed nor refund of tds taken. we have received sms from IT to file income tax returns for ay 15-16 by 31st march. I am a senior citizen myself and have following concerns

1> What will happen if I don't file nor claim refund.
2> if I file which form to file - his income was only from interest and rent and below 4 lacs
3> I do not have any will or legal heir certificate so will I be able to file and claim refund of tds.
4>as his investments have been transferred to me I filed my returns in ay 16-17.But the rental for the above property was not shown by me as that rental was going to my daughter and will continue to do so.Will that create any IT problem for me.

Please guide also any other point I need to know and take care


20 March 2017

1 If there's no tax payable no problems.
2 File ITR 1.
3 legal heir certificate is required to file the return.
4 Your daughter should show the rental income in her return.

Studentsca (Expert)
23 March 2017

1. Nothing will happen as such if you don't file the return as you are not required to do so because Income is below the taxable limit.
However you stand to lose the refund of tds which has been deducted.

File form Itr-1

You would be able to submit the return even without the legal heir certificate. It can be submitted at a later stage.

No problem as far as rental income part is concerned.

You need to be the querist or approved CAclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

close x
Get Income Tax App    |    x