22 April 2012
There is a Notification No. 6/2005, it is reproduced as under:
Service Tax - ST
Small Service Provider (SSP / SSI) Exemption
Notification No. 6/2005-Service Tax
Dated 1st March, 2005.
G.S.R. (E).- In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 93 of the Finance Act, 1994 (32 of 1994) (hereinafter referred to as the said Finance Act), the Central Government, on being satisfied that it is necessary in the public interest so to do, hereby exempts taxable services of aggregate value not exceeding 1[ten lakh rupees] in any financial year from the whole of the service tax leviable thereon under section 66 of the said Finance Act:
Provided that nothing contained in this notification shall apply to,-
(i) taxable services provided by a person under a brand name or trade name, whether registered or not, of another person; or
(ii) such value of taxable services in respect of which service tax shall be paid by such person and in such manner as specified under sub-section (2) of section 68 of the said Finance Act read with Service Tax Rules,1994.
2. The exemption contained in this notification shall apply subject to the following conditions, namely:-
(i) the provider of taxable service has the option not to avail the exemption contained in this notification and pay service tax on the taxable services provided by him and such option, once exercised in a financial year, shall not be withdrawn during the remaining part of such financial year;
(ii) the provider of taxable service shall not avail the CENVAT credit of service tax paid on any input services, under rule 3 or rule 13 of the CENVAT Credit Rules, 2004 (herein after referred to as the said rules), used for providing the said taxable service, for which exemption from payment of service tax under this notification is availed of;
(iii) the provider of taxable service shall not avail the CENVAT credit under rule 3 of the said rules, on capital goods received in the premises of provider of such taxable service during the period in which the service provider avails exemption from payment of service tax under this notification;
(iv) the provider of taxable service shall avail the CENVAT credit only on such inputs or input services received, on or after the date on which the service provider starts paying service tax, and used for the provision of taxable services for which service tax is payable;
(v) the provider of taxable service who starts availing exemption under this notification shall be required to pay an amount equivalent to the CENVAT credit taken by him, if any, in respect of such inputs lying in stock or in process on the date on which the provider of taxable service starts availing exemption under this notification;
(vi) the balance of CENVAT credit lying unutilised in the account of the taxable service provider after deducting the amount referred to in sub-paragraph (v), if any, shall not be utilised in terms of provision under sub-rule (4) of rule 3 of the said rules and shall lapse on the day such service provider starts availing the exemption under this notification;
(vii) where a taxable service provider provides one or more taxable services from one or more premises, the exemption under this notification shall apply to the aggregate value of all such taxable services and from all such premises and not separately for each premises or each services; and
(viii) the aggregate value of taxable services rendered by a provider of taxable service from one or more premises, does not exceed 1[ten lakh rupees] in the preceding financial year.
3. For the purposes of determining aggregate value not exceeding 1[ten lakh rupees], to avail exemption under this notification, in relation to taxable service provided by a goods transport agency, the payment received towards the gross amount charged by such goods transport agency under section 67 for which the person liable for paying service tax is as specified under subsection (2) of section 68 of the said Finance Act read with Service Tax Rules,1994, shall not be taken into account.
Explanation.- For the purposes of this notification,-
(A) "brand name" or "trade name" means a brand name or a trade name, whether registered or not, that is to say, a name or a mark, such as symbol, monogram, logo, label, signature, or invented word or writing which is used in relation to such specified services for the purpose of indicating, or so as to indicate a connection in the course of trade between such specified services and some person using such name or mark with or without any indication of the identity of that person;
2[(B) “aggregate value” means the sum total of value of taxable services charged in the first consecutive invoices issued or required to be issued, as the case may be, during a financial year but does not include value charged in invoices issued towards such services which are exempt from whole of service tax leviable thereon under section 66 of the said Finance Act under any other notification.]
4. This notification shall come into force on the 1st day of April, 2005.
1. Has been substituted vide Notification No. 4/2007 dated 1/3/2007 w.e.f 1st day of April 2007, before it was read as "four lakh rupees", Further for the words "eight lakh rupees", wherever they occur, the words "ten lakh rupees" has been substituted vide notification no. 8/2008 ST dated 1-3-2008 w.e.f. 1st day of April 2008
2. Substituted vide notification no. 5/2012 ST dated 17-3-2012 w.e.f. 1.4.2012, before it was read as, “ (B) "aggregate value not exceeding 1[ten lakh rupees] " means the sum total of first consecutive payments received during a financial year towards the gross amount, as prescribed under section 67 of the said Finance Act, charged by the service provider towards taxable services till the aggregate amount of such payments is equal to 1[ten lakh rupees] but does not include payments received towards such gross amount which are exempt from whole of service tax leviable thereon under section 66 of the said Finance Act under any other notification.”