Articleship - transfer

This query is : Resolved 

11 August 2013

I am willing to know procedure for late submission of form 109 and thereafter form 103. My earlier principle signed the form 109 on 15 June 2013. and i have send this to ICAI on 3 August 2013 due to unavoidable reasons. Pls suggest me can i take 21 June 2013 date for new registration of articleship as i joined new office from this date. I did not purchase the stamp. Help me please.

Ajay Mishra (Expert)
11 August 2013


If you are taking transfer during first year then no need to take prior approval from Institute for taking transfer but in subsequent year you can not take transfer without prior approval of Institute. So without taking prior approval you can not take re registration further.

In case Form No.103 is not submitted to the Institute’s Office within 30 days from the date of commencement of training, the procedure laid down by the Council for condonation of delay in submission of forms will apply. Delay fees to be paid 30 days beyond specified period Rs. 100.
31–180 days beyond specified period Rs. 300
Beyond 181 days Rs. 1000
Either of the following records may also be sent (if the delay is more than 181 days):
a. Attendance record of the Articled Assistant.
b. Original deed of Articles in Form 102, executed on non-judicial stamp paper.
c. Certified copy of the work diary of the articled assistant.
d. Stipend details with evidence in the form of Bank Pass Book/Statement.

Ajay Mishra (Expert)
11 August 2013

On termination of articles prior to completion of 3 years, a student is required to re-register himself with another Principal for the remaining period of the practical training.
1. In the event of re-registration, the student is required to submit the re-registration papers i.e. Form 103 so as to reach to the Institute's office within 30 days from the date of commencement of articled training.
2. A service certificate in Form No. 109 alongwith training report as specified in the Training Guide.
3. The deed of articles is required to be executed in Form No. 102 on a non-judicial stamp paper of the value applicable in the City / State where the employer is practising. The original deed has to be retained by the Principal and a copy with the student.
4. Where the Student / Principal is not able to submit the papers within 30 days and requires that the delay in submission of the papers may be condoned by the Council, they are required to submit the following document alongwith levy fees as fixed by the Council:

i. Original Deed of articles duly executed on a non-judicial stamp paper.
ii. Work diary from the period of date of commencement to the date of submission of papers.
iii. Attendance Record for the aforesaid period.
iv. Stipend details in the form of Bank Pass-Book or Bank Statement.
No registration fee is payable on re-registration except the payment of 2 nd installment of tuition fee if becomes due and payable.
In case the articled clerk has availed of any leave in excess of his entitlement, he should serve such excess leave period after completion of three years of articleship either under the same Principal as supplementary articles or under another Principal.

Ankur Garg (Expert)
12 August 2013


Please find below the Grounds and Procedure for Articleship Transfer:

In a major flexibility for CA aspirants, ICAI has given articled clerks a choice to opt out of the existing arrangement with a principal during the first year of articleship.

Transfer/Termination of Articleship

[Regulation 56(1)]

In partial modification of the announcement dated 30th June 2009 regarding transfer / termination of articles the Council in its recent meeting has decided that the transfer/termination of articleship in terms of Regulation 56(1) of the Chartered Accountants Regulations, 1988 shall be permissible on the grounds as stated below:

I. Transfer /termination of articles is permitted without any restriction during the first year of articles.

II. During rest of the articleship period on satisfying any one or more of the conditions as stated below: -

1. Medical grounds requiring discontinuance of articles for a minimum period of three months (on production of a Medical Certificate issued by a Government Hospital).

2. Transfer of parent(s) to another city.

3. Misconduct involving moral turpitude.

4. Other justifiable circumstances / reasons: -

(ii) Grounds already permissible in the Chartered Accountants Regulations, 1988 (on submission of requisite proof of the act warranting transfer/terminatio n of articleship) : -

a. Industrial Training (Regulation 51)

b. Secondment of articles (Regulation 54)

c. Conversion from PCC to IPCC (for termination of articles only. Re-registration of articles to be allowed only after passing Group-I of IPCC)

d. Death of Principal [Regulation 57(1)(c)]

e. Ceasing of practice by the Principal [Regulation 57(1)(a)]

f. Removal of name of the Principal from the Register of Member due to any reason [Regulation 57(1)(b)]

(iii) Marriage basis (only if there is relocation to another city involving distance of 50 kms).

(iv) Irregular payment or non-payment of stipend with reference to Regulation 67.

(v) Articled assistant desires to serve balance period of training outside India.

(vi) Shifting by the Principal to another city involving distance more than 50 kms.


The articled assistants are required to get the consent of the Institute before getting Form 109 signed by the Principal in their own interest.

The request, on any one or more of the aforesaid grounds, of an articled assistant on a plain paper along with the recommendation / consent of the Principal for transfer / termination of articleship accompanied by evidence / proof (self-attested by the articled assistant) to the satisfaction of the Institute be made. Request for transfer not accompanied by consent of Principal shall not be accepted.

In case of dispute between principal and articled assistant, the matter be settled amicably among the articled assistant and the principal concerned and the Institute shall not interfere in such cases.


You need to be the querist or approved CAclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Get CA Student App    |    x