Avail 20% discount on updated CA lectures for Dec 21 .Use Code RESULT20 !! Call : 088803-20003

80E deduction for loan taken for higher education

One of my client has taken loan from a UK based institute for higher education and paying interest on this loan through NEFT from an Indian bank account.

Is the interest component of this loan eligible for claiming deduction U/s. 80E even if the loan is taken from abroad. Do he has to obtain any documentary proof.

Please help me in this matter.

Divyesh Jain

No, because the lender is not covered under Banking Regulation Act,1949 or not an institution notified by CBDT.
Ps. Notified institutions are HDFC Ltd and Credilia Financial Services P Ltd.

You mean no abroad universities are eligible for claiming 80E deduction. Only HDFC and Credilia financial are eligible for deduction.

The loan was taken from Prodigy Finance in UK. Is it eligible for 80E deduction interest component.

Please help me in this matter.

The UK based Prodigy Finance is not covered under Indian Banking Regulation Act,1949; nor an institution notified by CBDT ( Which are Only HDFC and Credilia financial).
Hence, loan taken from the Prodigy finance is not eligible for claiming deduction u/s. 80E of IT act.