Notice under section 221(1) of the income tax act, 1961

This query is : Resolved 

10 July 2011

Hi Sir/Man,

Can anyone please help me out in this matter. Yesterday I received a correspondence from Income Tax Office at my previous residential address. This was a notice and the particulars are as follows:

PAN: *******

To, My name
My Address...


I find from my records that the following demands raised against you have not been paid:-

Arrear No: 50
Nature of demand: Regular
Asstt.Year: 2008-2009
Amount Rs. : 29002/-
Date of service of demand of notice: Since due
Due Date of payment: Since Due

2. You are hereby required to show cause why a penalty should not be levied under section 221(1) of income tax act, 1961.

3. In case you have already deposited the amount mentioned above, please produce that relevant challan, either personally or through authorized representative, so that you may be given due credit for the same.

4. for this purpose, you may appear before, me either personally or through your auth. representative at my office AMRITSAR on 15-07-2011 at 11:30 am or you may send a written communication so as to reach the on or before the said date.

Yours faithfully,
Income Tax Officer.

Kindly please help me as I have paid the taxes because the company where i work have deducted the tax every month from my salary and gave me the form 16 as well. And also I have filed a tax return for the same.

Kindly let me know how I have to go ahead as I do not live in amritsar anymore and if i have to send them a written communication, then what is the format for the same.

Waiting for the response.

10 July 2011

The problem must lies in TDS on salary for which the department could not have match the corresponding deposit entries.

Check whether Correct PAN No. mentioned by the employer and also try to find out the reasons of demand by meeting the AO.
Meet the concerned ITO with the Form 16 and find out the root of problem.
Without knowing the facts it is not possible to give any letter format. Wahe -Guru Sub Theek Karega... just go to Amritsar.

Jatin (Querist)
10 July 2011

Hi Sir,

Thanks for the reply.

I want to tell you that the pan number mentioned on the top of the notice is not mine. There is a misprinting in one of the letters of pan card.....

However at that time I did not update my pan card with my employer but now it is been done. Can this be the reason of the tax not being credited.

Do u recommend me to meet the finance department of my company and ask for the details.

I do have another question, if at that time i didn;t update my pan card number, where did my tax go then.

Also I have my exams starting on 13-july-2011 and wl go upto 24-jul-2011 so in this time it is impossible to go to amritsar.

Can i send them a written reply?

Waiting for the reply.

U S Sharma (Expert)
10 July 2011

send them a letter for adjournment of date of visit. it will delay the proceedings.

Jatin (Querist)
10 July 2011

And how to do that. can you please mail me a format to do that. And by sending them a letter of adjournment can it be really delayed?

My e-mail address is

Waiting for the response.


vijayakumar.sure (Expert)
11 July 2011

Please check your tax credits in your 26 AS online and then proceed for thinking of missing entries or whether correct PAN had been given to your employer or any other missing entries, in case the demand is given earlier if you had paid that then show your supportings in person to the ITO.

13 July 2011

Rely to Income tax officer " that you have paid all the taxes through T.D.S and not liable to pay any tax" and file copy of FORN NO. 16 and STATEMENT OF TAX DEDUCTION along with this reply.

You need to be the querist or approved CAclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

close x
Get Income Tax App    |    x