CA Final/Inter Fast track classes available for May 20 attempt. Call: 1800-3000-0505

CDC or passport date for seafarer

Please let me know whether dates mentioned in CDC( ship in and out record) issued to seafarer or dates according to arrival and departure mentioned in passport of seafarer who works in foreign ship , is relevant for determining NRI status?

normally the dates mentioned as arrival and departure on PASSPORT are relevant. (If it is making substantial difference in your taxation, let me add....... upto 12 nautical miles is regarded to be Indian territory. Does that make any favourable difference in your case?)

cdc dates are entered when you board the ship , therefore while ship is within 12 nautica 1 miles , still cdc entry date will be there.

So?... You have to be out of 12 nautical miles from the base line of sea shore of India for 182 days or more to be Non Resident. Otherwise, in normal circumstances count on the dates on passport