According to a PWC report, India’s tax system is among the most complex of the world— it ranks 157th, with about 33 different payments required.
Which existing tax payer needs to register under the GST regime?
All the taxpayers registered under any of the Acts as specified viz. taxes which are subsumed, are expected to visit the GST System Portal and enroll themselves. These Acts include:
- Central Excise
- Service Tax
- State Sales Tax / VAT (except exclusive liquor dealers if registered under VAT)
- Entry Tax
- Luxury Tax
- Entertainment Tax (except levied by the local bodies)
All existing taxpayers registered under any of the Acts as specified above are required to be transitioned under the GST regime. Enrollment for GST will ensure this smooth transition.
How to enroll?
This enrollment starts on 8th November, 2016, (today) at www.gst.gov.in. The GST System Portal has been created for this purpose, and no paper enrollment will be allowed. Also, there is no provision for deemed enrollment. No fees will be charged for the enrollment. Enrollment under the GST is common for both Central GST and the State GST. There will be common registration, common return and common Challan for Central and State GST. Assessees with verified PAN shall be allowed to fill details and submit proofs.
Before enrolling with GST System Portal, you must ensure to have the following information/ documents available with you:-
- Provisional ID received from State/Central Authorities;
- Password received from the State/Central Authorities;
- Valid Email Address;
- Valid Mobile Number;
- Bank Account Number
- Bank IFSC
- Proof of Constitution of Business:
- In case of Partnership firm: Partnership Deed of Partnership Firm (PDF and JPEG format in maximum size of 1 MB)
- In case of Others: Registration Certificate of the Business Entity (PDF and JPEG format in maximum size of 1 MB)
- Photograph of Promoters/ Partners/Karta of HUF (JPEG format in maximum size of 100 KB)
- Proof of Appointment of Authorized Signatory (PDF and JPEG format in maximum size of 1 MB)
- Photograph of Authorized Signatory (JPEG format in maximum size of 100 KB)
- Opening page of Bank Passbook / Statement containing Bank Account Number of < Account Number>, Address of Branch, Address of Account holder and few transaction details (PDF and JPEG format in maximum size of 1 MB)
For first time login, you need to provide username and password that you received from the State VAT/Centre Tax Department. For subsequent login, you need to enter username and password as created by you while enrolling with GST System Portal. In case you have not received your user name and password, you can contact your jurisdictional State/Centre authorities.
Kindly note that while registering on the portal, do not give the mobile number and email address of your tax professionals, such as that of your chartered accountants etc. – they will receive separate unique IDs and passwords.
Using these details, file the relevant form, after clearly reading the instructions, for successful enrollment.
Don’t be taxed with taxes – understand them and pay on time!