Update Category: Proposed New GST Return Prototype - Introduction and Key Aspects
Update Source: GSTN Portal and Return Prototype Document
Release No.: TM/GST/035 dated 24th May 2019
GSTN releases proposed New GST Return Prototype:
The Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) has recently released a web-based prototype of the offline tool of new return system. The said prototype is set to replace the existing mechanism of filing returns (GSTR 1 and GSTR 3B), and shall go live in the coming months.
This proposed prototype is user-friendly and also offers an interactive interface allowing users to navigate through the pages using various functionalities, such as drop-down menus, invoice upload, upload of purchase register for matching with a system-created inward supplies, etc.
We bring to you a summary of the proposed changed based on the prototype released by GSTN on 22nd May 2019.
Same may be viewed by login to the GSTN Portal - Home Page - Main Menu - New Return Prototype
A. New Return filing system shall have below options:
- A normal tax payer, based on its turnover limit, shall have an option to file monthly or quarterly return
- In the proposed system of new GST Return filing, a normal taxpayer would have to file FORM GST RET-1 (Normal) or FORM GST RET-2 (Sahaj) or FORM GST RET-3 (Sugam).
- The return functionality shall be available in online and off line mode
- Annexure of supplies (GST ANX-1) – details for outward supplies and Annexure of Inward Supplies (GST ANX-2 - inward supplies auto-populated mainly from the suppliers GST ANX-1) will be filed as part of these returns.
- It will also contain details auto-populated from Form GSTR-5 (Non-resident foreign taxpayer) and Form GSTR-6 (Return by Input Service Distributor).
B. Key Features of GST ANX – 1 and GST ANX - 2:
The prototype offers the following key features:
i. Businesses would have two alternatives to upload the data of invoices issued for outward supplies, imports (goods and services), and inward supplies attracting reverse charge etc.
ii. They shall have to choose any of the below two options:
- Prepare the data relating to invoices issued using an offline Excel utility
- Upload the invoice level data directly on the new return system portal
iii. Option to view a summary of the invoice level data uploaded and also option to view draft GST ANX - 1
iv. Option to export the already uploaded data to an Excel file - possibly to make any changes/corrections before submission
- Annexure of Inward Supplies (GST ANX-2) is the form in which user can take action on the auto-drafted documents uploaded by supplier which will made available to them on real time basis.
- It will have an option to accept/reject/keep pending the invoices uploaded by the supplier
- Summary of the invoices uploaded by the supplier along with the action taken and the gross ITC available can be viewed
- A “Matching tool” shall be provided by the GSTN which can be used by the recipient to match the auto-drafted details of GST ANX-2 with their own purchase register.
- Option to view and rectify errors between purchase register and invoice data uploaded by the supplier
- Option to view the draft GST ANX-2
C. Functionalities not available in this prototype:
The draft return prototype available on the GST Portal shall not have below functionalities which may be made available during introduction of actual filing system or further release:
- User cannot save any data on click of 'Save Document' button and Action taken in ANX-2 will not be saved.
- JSON file can neither be created nor downloaded from the portal.
- The functionalities like – IMPORT EXCEL/CSV FILE, OPEN DOWNLOADED JSON FILE, REMOVE DATA IN ALL TABLES, GENERATE JSON FILE TO UPLOAD, EXPORT TO EXCEL, VIEW DRAFT RETURN, HIDE/UNHIDE OF COLUMNS, RECORDS PER PAGE, SEARCH, SORTING, FILTER AND ADD/DELETE will not be available.
- Add to Masters Facility to add supplier/buyer and items will not be available.
- VIEW DRAFT RETURN Button can be used to view draft Return FORM GST RET-1/2/3. Offline Tool will auto fill the details in draft return page based on the data in various tables. This feature is not available in prototype.
D. You may use the below link to download user manual for ANX 1 and ANX – 2:
- ANX - 1: https://demoofflinetool.gst.gov.in/assets/FAQ_ANX1_22nd%20May.pdf
- ANX - 2: https://demoofflinetool.gst.gov.in/assets/FAQ_ANX2_22nd%20May.pdf
Note - This is for information only. For exact details of changes, the notification/Circular may please be referred to, as and when they are issued.
Tags :gstgst return