Now a days, when there is cut throat competition in every field,nobody can afford to rely on either college studies or study materials. Almost every company gives high weightage to practical knowledge, no matter whether you are a CA/CWA or a MBA from reputed institute.So,in this article I have tried to compile a list of some important areas which can help you to boost your career.
1. SAP FICO: These days most of the large scale organisations use sophisticated softwares like SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, JDedwards etc,SAP being the most preferred ERP Package.While the original certification may cost you more than Rs 3Lakhs but you can gain working knowledge of this software from any good training institute within 40-60k.And then you can improve your skills through online tutorials and books like SAP FICO Blackbook,SAP ERP Financials and FICO Handbook by S.N. Padhietc. Tally has limited reach now.
2. Microsoft EXCEL Advance knowledge: We all know how important it is to have an advance knowledge of Excel because of its high use in Financial analysis and management,MIS,budgeting,KPIsetc.You have to have knowledge of advance functions like VBA macros, sorting & filtering, pivottable, charts, graphs, V/H Look up logical and mathematical functions etc.
3. IFRS CERTIFICATION: Almost every company/Big 4s demand high knowledge of Ind AS,IFRS,US GAAP. Merely studying a course book will not be sufficient ,its very important to know how to apply them practically. In interviews of Big 4s and large scale organisations, they pose practical situations and ask how to deal with them. Basic knowledge of AS/Ind AS will not work when the situation demands systematic application and explanation in practical scenarios.
4. Financial Modeling: Knowledge of financial modeling is extremely important when you have to deal in mergers &acquisitions,projectfinance,riskevaluation,decisionmaking,private equity etc.There are various institutes which offer short term courses in financial modeling through systematic modules.
5. NSE/BSE Certification: If you want to join an organization which deals in Equity,trading,derivativemarket,capitalmarkets,Portfoliomanagement.Then doing short term certifications will be highly beneficial for building a strong foundation.
6. Certification course in Investment banking and Financial Research: If you want to build your career in investment management, wealthplanning, RiskManager, Financial Analysis etc then a course in investment banking and financial research will not only increase your employment prospects by making you technically sound but will also provide a base for CFA course.
7. CMA(US): CMA (US) stands an excellent option for those who want to excel in both costing and accounts. This course can be completed within 6-9 months. Its curriculum is to some extent based on CA curriculum. Fees is somewhere around Rs60000 in total. Being a part time course, its also easy for working people. As per their sources ,its value is equivalent to ICWA in India. So ,for people pursuing MBA(Finance) or CA this can be a good dual qualification option.
BY CA VijetaVerma