Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Recently I faced a situation where the tax demand on regular assessment of my client for A.Y 2008-09 was deposited with a nationalized bank but wrongly the said payment of demand was done towards A.Y 2010-11. This situation may have been faced by many assessees because there may always a possibility of mentioning wrong Assessment year or wrong PAN/TAN etc in the TDS Challan or in Income Tax Challans.
In such situation the first thing that comes to mind is how one can get the challan corrected after the payment of tax so that right credit of tax is given to the assessee/deductor concerned. The power to amend such wrong details in challan after payment of tax in OLTAS has been given to Assessing officer and Bank depending upon the type of correction, which has been provided as follows for the benefit of all concerneds.
NSDL receives tax collection data as uploaded by the bank. It is not authorized to carry out any changes in the data sent by the bank to TIN.

The fields that can be corrected and the entity authorized to carry out corrections are as below:
Sl. No.
Type of Correction on Challan
Performed By
Assessing Officer
Assessment Year
Assessing Officer
Major Head
Assessing Officer /Bank
Minor Head
Assessing Officer
Nature of Payment
Assessing Officer
Total Amount
Thus application should be made for correction to the A.O or Bank in case of any mistake in Income Tax/TDS Challan depending upon the type of correction as mentioned above.

Amit Bajaj Advocate
Bajaj & Bajaj Advocates
128, Sangam complex, Milap Chowk, Jalandhar city.

M +919815243335

Published by

Amit Bajaj
(Tax Attorney)
Category Income Tax   Report

10 Likes   220 Shares   66711 Views


Popular Articles

Follow taxation Exam20 Book Book

CCI Articles

submit article

Stay updated with latest Articles!