CAREER AS A COMPANY SECRETARY
ICSI imparts training in Company Secretaryship by Distance Learning (by correspondence) enabling students to qualify as Company Secretaries. The Institute provides “Course Material” for all the subjects at the time of Registration. There is also provision for Optional Oral Coaching classes.
Career as a Company Secretary is not only prestigious and financially rewarding but also carries with it a high level of job satisfaction.
Stages to become a Company Secretary
The student who would like to join the Course after 10+2 has to undergo three stages to pursue the Company Secretaries Course i.e.
In addition, the student has to undergo Practical Training for about 15 months which a student may opt to start after passing the Executive Programme.
The Student who would like to join the Course after passing the Graduation has to undergo two stages of the Company Secretaryship i.e.
Besides, the student has to undergo Practical Training for about 15 months.
Foundation Programme which is of eight months duration can be pursued by 10+2 pass students of Arts, Science or Commerce stream.
Executive Programme can be pursued by a Graduate of all streams except Fine Arts.
Professional Programme can be pursued only after clearing the Executive Programme of CS Course.
Training: A Student has to undergo 15 months Management Training in Companies sponsored by the Institute after passing the Executive or Professional Programme or under the guidance of a Company Secretary in Practice.
After qualifying Professional Examination and on successful completion of training a candidate is admitted as an Associate Member of the ICSI and can use the letters ACS after his/her name i.e. Associate Company Secretary.
Admission to the CS Course is open throughout the year. Examinations are held twice a year in June & December.
Cut off dates for admission to CS course:
For Foundation Programme
31st March for appearing in December Examination in the same year
30th September for June Examination next year
For Executive Programme
28th February for December Exams in the same
31st August for June Exam next year
CS Prospectus can be obtained from any of the offices of the Institute across
Cost of Prospectus for Foundation Programme : Rs. 200/- by cash payment while
Rs. 250/- by Post or courier
Cost of Prospectus for the Executive Programme : Rs. 300/- by cash payment while
Rs.350/- by Post or courier
Payment Option : The payment can be sent to the Headquarters by demand draft drawn in favour of ‘The Institute of Company Secretaries of India’ payable at New Delhi OR by cash across the counter from the Headquarters, Regional Offices & a few of the Chapters.
Fee Structure for CS Course
The fee for CS Foundation Programme is - Rs. 3600/-
for Executive Programme - Rs. 7000/- for Commerce Graduates while
- Rs. 7750/- for Non Commerce Students
ICSI offices across
The ICSI has its Headquarters at ICSI House 22 Institutional Area Lodi Road New
ICSI has 66 Examination Centres scattered all over
h A qualified company secretary has openings in Employment and as Practising
h Companies with a paid up share capital of Rs.2 crores or more are compulsorily required to appoint a whole time Company Secretary who is a Member of ICSI
h All companies seeking listing on Stock Exchange are required to appoint a whole time company secretary
h Membership of the Institute is recognized for appointment to superior posts and services under Central Government.
Self-Employment/Practising Company Secretaries
· After obtaining a ‘Certificate of Practice’ from the Institute, Members of the Institute can go in for Independent Practice.
· Every company having a paid-up share capital of Rs. Ten Lakhs or more but less than Rs. Two Crores is required to engage the services of a Secretary in Whole-Time Practice for issue of Compliance Certificate.
· Pursuant to Clause 49 of the Listing Agreement, Practising Company Secretaries have been authorized to issue Certificate regarding compliance of conditions of Corporate Governance as stipulated in the Clause.
The CS Course is :
· recognized by the various Universities for admission to PhD Course
· appointment of Lecturers in Commerce & Management
SUBJECTS FOR CS
There are 4 papers in CS Foundation Programme
· English and Business Communication
· Economics and Statistics
· Financial Accounting
· Elements of Business Laws and Management
There are 6 papers divided into 2 Modules in CS Executive Programme
· General and Commercial Laws
· Company Accounts, Cost and Management Accounting
· Tax Laws
· Company Law
· Economic and Labour Laws
· Securities Laws and Compliances
There are 8 papers divided into 4 Modules in CS Professional Programme
· Company Secretarial Practice
· Drafting, Appearances and Pleadings
· Financial, Treasury and Forex Management
· Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency
· Strategic Management, Alliances and International Trade
· Advanced Tax Laws and Practice
· Due Diligence and Corporate Compliance Management
· Governance, Business Ethics and Sustainability
ICSI brings out Chartered Secretary journal for Corporate Professionals & Student Company Secretary & Foundation Programme Bulletin for students. While, the Chartered Secretary Journal can be subscribed by the students at a concessional rate of Rs.300, the other bulletins are sent to the registered students free cost.
The Institute and its offices maintain the database of the members / students desirous of employment.
The Institute also assist the members and students for Placement.
Campus interviews are also conducted for assisting the students to get employment.
Vacancies for the post of Company Secretaries received by the Institute are placed on ICSI Website for reference.
Role of a Company Secretary
Behind Great Corporate Progress there’s a strong backbone: The Company Secretary-
By virtue of integrated knowledge of multiple disciplines of law, management, finance and corporate governance, a Company Secretary is the vital link between the company, its:
- Board of Directors,
- Government and other Agencies.
The Company Secretary is:
· An in-house legal expert; a compliance officer of the Company.
· An expert in corporate laws, securities laws & capital market and corporate governance
· Chief advisor to the board of directors on best practices in corporate governance
· Responsible for all regulatory compliances of company
· Corporate planner and strategic manager
ICSI “Vision” :
“To be a global leader in the development of professionals specializing in corporate governance”
” : Mission
“To continuously develop high calibre professionals ensuring good corporate governance and effective management and to carry out proactive research and development activities for protection of interest of all stakeholders, thus contributing to public good”.
‘ICSI HOUSE” 22 Institutional Area,
Ph: 011-41504444, 24617321-24, 24644431-32
Fax: 24626727 E Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org, Website : www.icsi.edu
Directorate of Students Services
C-37, Sector 62, NOIDA 201 301(U.P.), Phone : 0120-4239998 / 99, E-Mail : email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
REGIONAL COUNCILS & CHAPTERS OF THE INSTITUTE
Phone: 22832973, 22816541, 22816542 Fax: 22816542
Satellite Chapter: Dhanbad: 2205076
NORTHERN INDIA REGIONAL COUNCIL
Phone: 25763090, 25767190, 25816593 Fax: 25722662
REGIONAL COUNCIL SOUTHERN INDIA
ICSI-SIRC House, No.9 Wheat
Phone: 28279898, 28222212 Fax: 28268685
REGIONAL COUNCIL WESTERN INDIA
13 Jolly Maker Chambers, No.2, First Floor, Nariman Point, Mumbai 400021
Phones: 22021826, 22844073, 22047569, 22047580, 22047604 Fax: 22850109
Chapters: Ahmedabad: 26589343, 30918705,
Nashik: 2509989, 2500150