Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

We are reaching the conclusion of yet another season of ICAI examinations (IPCC and Finals). Soon we will have a batch of candidates completing the CPT exams and enrolling for IPCC. Here comes the biggest questions -

Which coaching institute to join?

Which is the best?

Who is the best teacher?

A new student browsing CAClub, would be overwhelmed by the number of coaching institutes available. Add to that the claims by each coaching institute. Some call themselves "A ranker Factory", Some claim all questions asked in examination were covered in the classes, some other claim to be best in city and few claim to be best in India. 

A fresh candidate enrolling for IPCC would no doubt be confused. 

A ranker factory

These coaching institutes claim themselves to be a ranker factory. They produce rankers. (Soon Excise Authorities might impose Excise duty on them!) Jokes apart, don't be misled by these institutes. A rank in CA is because of the efforts put in by an individual student. I do not say that coaching institutes do not play any role to help students get rank. However, it is to be understood that the contribution of coaching institute would be 20-30% whereas the remaining 80-70% comes from the student himself. Just because a coaching institute is a ranker's factory, don't join them unless they deliver quality coaching.

All question were covered in class/notes

This is the most common thread you can observe during the exams. Many coaching institutes trying to make tall claims that all questions were covered in class/notes. The claims are true. There is no denial that what was asked in exams was covered in the classes/notes. Does that make them the best? My answer to this question is in the negative. If a student completes study material, previous years papers and practice manual, he would be able to correlate all that is asked in exam with what he has studied. So questions asked in exams being covered in coaching institutes is no big deal. So if a coaching institute tries to market itself with this claim, take it with a pinch of salt. 

We are the best coaching institute 

So your institute is the best coaching centre. Best in the city or best in the country? Well best is a relative term. How do you judge you are the best. Since there are no set standards, surveys, reviews by experts, I do not take them at face value. Anyone can put up a hoarding with the "BEST" tag. But is the institute really the best? It needs some fact finding. Take feedback from the students who have attended the classes and take a call. Remember Customer feedback is important.

Coaching or Self Study? Read detailed analysis here > How important is coaching?

P.S - I have nothing against the institute claiming themselves to be the best. Students should however take calculated and informed choices. They should not be bogged down by the advertisements and promotions by institutes. 

About the Author

The author is a Chartered Accountant and has ranks in PE I (1st), PE II (4th) and Final (2nd). 


Published by

CA Suraj Lakhotia
Category Students   Report

3 Likes   37 Shares   10767 Views


Related Articles


Popular Articles

Follow Book Book Book Business Course caclubindia books

CCI Articles

submit article

Stay updated with latest Articles!