Frequently Asked Questions on verification of marks:
Please note that this paper is merely an attempt to provide answers to questions on the subject, posed to us, by the candidates from time to time, to the extent possible and with reference to the extant scheme of examination. However, this compilation is neither exhaustive not does it purport to be a source of complete information on the subject. Hence, candidates are advised, in their own interest, to refer to the “Guidance Notes” supplied along with the examination application form, besides referring to the Chartered Accountants Regulations, 1988.
1. What is meant by verification of marks?
The process of verification of marks covers the following:
· Whether the answer book(s) compilation is complete
· Whether any question or part thereof has remained unvalued
· Whether there is any totaling error in any question or total marks on the cover page
· Whether there is any discrepancy between the marks for each question and or/part thereof and marks for each question indicated on the cover page of the answer book
· Whether the handwriting of the candidate in all the answer books is the same.
However, revaluation of the answer book is not permitted under the Chartered Accountants Regulations, 1988.
2. What is the procedure for verification of marks?
A candidate can apply for verification within 30 days from the date of declaration of results, necessarily in his own handwriting, giving specific details of the following along with the requisite fees:
· Roll No
· Paper(s)/subjects to be verified
· Student Registration No
· Address for communication
The application for verification of marks must be in the handwriting of the candidate.
If the candidate had appeared in Hindi medium, his/her application should be in Hindi.
Typewritten applications will not be entertained.
There is no standard format as such for such application. However, the application should be duly signed by the candidate.
Candidate should not write their e-mail IDs or mobile number or landline numbers in such verification requests.
3. Where should the application be sent:
The application for verification along with the fees should be sent so as to reach ICAI within a period of one month from the date of the declaration of results, at the following address :
The Additional Secretary, (Exams)
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
New Delhi 110 002
4. What is the fees for verification of marks?
· For Final, PCE, IPCE/ATE/Units-Rs 100/- per paper subject to a maximum of Rs 400/- for all the papers of a group/both groups.
· For CPT: Rs 200/-.
· For Post qualification courses ISA, DIRM, ITL&WTO, MAC/TMC/CMC: Rs 500/-
5. What is the mode of payment of the verification fees?
The verification fees is payable by way of a demand draft drawn in favour of “The Secretary, The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India” payable at New Delhi and sent along with the application for verification.
6. How long does it take to get verification result?
The verification process is meticulously drawn up exercise and it therefore takes time which may run to about 6-8 weeks. Though it will be our endeavour to inform the outcome of verification in respect of an exam at the earliest, yet the same cannot be assured, due to time consuming processes involved. However, all such candidates who do not receive the response latest upto 10 days before commencement of the next exam, may send an email to the exam dept. at the contact details as given below.
7. What are the possible outcomes, that may arise out of verification of marks:
The verification exercise may result in
· No change of marks
· Increase of marks, impacting result or exemption in one or more papers
· Decrease of marks
The outcome of the verification exercise is hosted on our website www.icai.org and a written communication is also sent to the candidate concerned, at the address mentioned by him/her in his/her application. In case of revision of marks, a revised mark statement/result ( as the case may be) is also communicated to the candidate.
8. Can a candidate get a refund of verification fees in case of change in marks pursuant to the verification?
Yes. In case of change in marks, the verification fee is refunded to the candidate automatically. There is no need to make a separate claim for refund. In case, he/she had also applied for the next exam, pending the outcome of the verification and the outcome of verification results in his passing the earlier exam, the examination fees paid by him/her for the next exam is also refunded.
9. I have not received any communication from the Institute regarding my application for verification of marks of the previous exam, so far. However, the last date for submission of application form for the next exam, is fast approaching. Should I apply for the next exam or not?
You may submit your examination form for the forthcoming examination, if you so wish, pending receipt of the outcome of verification of answer books of the earlier exam.
10. How does a candidate contact the Institute to check the outcome of his/her verification application?
The outcome of the verification will be hosted on our website www.icai.org and a written communication will also be intimated to the concerned candidates individually.
The candidates are advised to check the website of the Institute from time to time regarding the outcome.
They can also send an email at the following email IDs, as per the exam: