The evolution of a Chartered Accountant- from that of a "Munim" to today's "CFO"!
The profession of Chartered Accountancy has grown leaps and bounds during the last few decades with a continuous development path being followed ahead. From a traditional Munim role – taking care of the preparation of books of accounts/ auditing, the profession has gained growth and has new avenues for the Chartered Accountants and students. The graph from the traditional time zone to that of today is somewhat like this:-
This article focuses to throw light upon the various boulevards open for CAs. The role has now spread across multi-dimensional prospects like:-
It can be very well said that you name the field, and you shall find CAs there and the above list is not even exhaustive. The role incorporates all the areas which are today accessible to Chartered Accountants. However, to be able to apply to these jobs few things need to be kept in mind:-
• Proficiency in communication & drafting skills. In particular eloquence in English attracts the interviewers.
• Strong hold on the technical front in the field for which you are exploring opportunities.
• General Knowledge about current scenarios i.e. Financial & Economic development in India as well as major developments worldwide.
• Knowledge about the Company/Firm’s background (Example:- Business Lines, Geographical Expansion, Turnover Details) in which you are appearing for an interview. The same can be easily obtained from their website.
• The common trend now is case study based interviews. They test your professional and moral ethics along with testing how you work practically during peak hours of pressure.
• The futuristic approach of the candidate towards his/her own professional growth.
• Lastly, skills of presentation verbally/dressing code as well as expertise level at MS Office is also assessed.
The CFOs today are expected to be a one stop solution for all the business problems and Chartered Accountants have become a best fit for such a role. The reason is quite logical. This course gives you such an immense knowledge of all the areas of business to begin with. With the introduction of GMCS and Orientation classes, the students are given a wide perspective of where they stand individually and how to improve upon further.
Our Institute is our alma mater. If we actually follow the guidelines and take the trainings provided seriously, the day to become a CFO shall not be far off!