A Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a unique 10-character alphanumeric code issued by the tax authorities. It's used to identify individuals and entities for taxation and financial transactions. PAN helps track financial activities like income, taxes, and investments.
Documents required for PAN application for citizens and non-citizens
- Proof of Identity: Passport, Aadhar card, Voter’s ID card Driving License, Photo ID card which is issued by the central government, state government or any undertaking of public sector, A certificate issued by a bank that should be duly attested, containing applicant’s photo and the bank a/c number, Arm’s license, Central government health scheme card, Pensioner card copy with applicant’s photograph
- Proof of Address: Electricity Bills, Bills for Broadband connection, Voter ID card containing a photograph, Aadhaar card, Statements of Bank Account, Statements of Credit Card, Driving license, Property Registration Documents
- Proof of Identity: Non-citizens can use various documents to prove their identity, such as an OCI card, PIO card, passport, other citizenship ID, national ID, or taxpayer ID. These documents need to be properly verified by either getting an 'Apostille' or by having them attested by an Indian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate in their home country.
- Proof of Address: For proving their address, non-citizens can use documents like bank account statements from their country of residence, registration certificates issued by the Office of Foreigner's Registration showing an Indian address, appointment letters from Indian companies, or an original certificate of address in India. Similar to proof of identity, these documents should also be verified through an 'Apostille' or attestation by an Indian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate.
Change Name In PAN Card After Marriage
PAN card contains crucial information such as the individual's name, gender, date of birth, and PAN. Ensuring accurate details on the PAN card is essential to prevent future complications, particularly in cases where women change their names after marriage.
Necessary documents for updating PAN card details due to name change after marriage include:
- Marriage Certificate or Proof of Marriage: A legal document that validates the marriage and serves as evidence for the name change.
- Publication in Official Gazette: A copy of the name change published in the government's Official Gazette, further substantiating the change.
- Valid Passport Copy: A copy of the passport with the updated name, which is an accepted identification proof.
- Certificate from Gazetted Officer: In case of a name change, a certificate issued by a Gazetted Officer provides official confirmation of the change.
Click here for the process to Changes or correction in existing PAN data
Duplicate PAN Card Or Reprint PAN Card
A duplicate PAN card is needed when the original is lost, stolen, misplaced, or damaged. It's also used to update changed information. Applying for a duplicate PAN card can address these situations.
Click here for the process to apply for duplicate PAN Card Or Reprint PAN Card
PAN Card Fees and Charges
- PAN card fees in India: Rs 110 for residents, including processing fee and GST.
- For citizens abroad: Rs 864 (excluding GST).
Reprint charges for PAN card:
- Within India: Rs 50.00
- Outside India: Rs 959.00
Know Status of PAN Application
To know the status of your PAN card application, you can track it online through the official website of the NSDL using your application or acknowledgment number.
Click here to know how to Check Pan Card Status
Click here for Various Types of PAN Applications