Issued by the Ministry of External Affairs, a passport is an essential travel document which serves as a proof of the Indian Citizenship of a person. However, it is not necessary that you only apply for a passport while traveling to a foreign country. A passport serves as a valid proof of identity, citizenship and address of a person. Thus, it is often an added advantage to have a passport.
In the 21st century, traveling to a foreign country is no longer considered as an unattainable dream. People frequently travel for different purposes like education, business, tourism, etc.
TYPES OF PASSPORTS
1. Ordinary Passport: This is a dark blue colored passport which is issued to ordinary citizens of India and is used for ordinary purposes like education, business, vacation etc. It is often referred to as the Type "P" passport, wherein, "P" stands for "Personal".
2. Official Passport: This is a white colored passport issued to citizens who represent the Indian Government and are travelling for official purposes. It is often referred to as the Type "S" passport, wherein, "S" stands for "Service".
3. Diplomatic Passport: This is a maroon covered passport issued specifically to Indian diplomats, Members of Parliament, High ranking government officials, members of the Union Council of Ministers and diplomatic couriers. It is often referred to as the Type "D" passport, wherein, "D" stands for "Diplomatic".
VALIDITY OF AN INDIAN PASSPORT
The Indian Passport is valid for 10 years from the date of issue. The date of issue and the date of expiry of the passport is mentioned on the passport itself, for the citizen to see. One must renew their passport before 10 years or the date of expiry, whichever is earlier.
HOW TO FILL THE PASSPORT RENEWAL APPLICATION
- Register on the Passport Seva Website Passport Seva Home | Indian Passport | Passport | Passport Seva Project.
- Provide basic details and create login Id and password.
- Login with the credentials on the website.
- Click on "Apply for fresh passport/Re-issue of Passport" to fill the form.
- After filling the form Validate and save the copy of the form.
- VVerify all the information to avoid errors and then upload the form and click "Submit".
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR RENEWAL OF PASSPORT
After filing an online application, an appointment slot is booked for further processing. Payment has to be made for the form and have to reach the Passport Seva Kendra minimum 20 minutes before, as you can only get in on your appointment time. A set of required documents and the originals are to be taken along. Such Documents are:o:p>
- Original / Old Passport
- Self-attested copy of First and Last page of passport
- Copy of ECR / Non ECR page. (Self-Attested)
- Copy of Validity Extension page, if any (Self-Attested)
- Copy of Observation page, if any
The list of required documents as per the requirement of the individual for his applicability can be checked at the website Documents Required : Reissue of Passport