To know your Permanent Account Number, Income Tax Department has provided this service on its own website. Apart from this one can also go through NSDL or UTIITSL portal. Applicants can know their PAN Card details like PAN Number, Address, Name, and Date of Birth. The method to know the PAN details is easy and quick. Scroll down and get the most convenient procedures to know your PAN details.
Table of Content:
Step1: Go to ‘e-Filing' Portal www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
Step 2: Click on 'Verify Your PAN details' hyperlink from the 'Quick Links' Section.
Step 3: Enter the PAN, Full Name(as per your PAN),Date of Birth & select status as applicable.
Step 4: Enter the Captcha as in the image and click on 'Submit' to verify your PAN details.
Step 5: You will be redirected to a new page, and it will show 'Your PAN is Active and the details are matching with PAN Database'
It is quite a short and simple process. Once you apply for a PAN card or update/correct misinformation in your PAN , you get an acknowledgement number which can be used to track the status of your PAN application or PAN Card correction status. You can check PAN card status either at the UTI Portal or at the NSDL Portal
Here are few steps that you can follow-
Step 1: Click on the tracking page on UTI site Click Here
Step 2: Enter the Application Coupon Number or your Existing PAN
Step 3: Enter the Captcha Code and submit
Step 4: After clicking the submit button, you will get to know the PAN status through UTI
Step 1: Go to NSDL portal Click Here
Step 2: Select " PAN-New/Change Request" from drop-down menu in "Application Type" option.
Step 3: Enter your Acknowledgement Number and click on the "Submit" button and the status of PAN will be displayed on your screen.
We know very well that PAN nowadays became a basic proof to carry on various financial transactions. It is widely used for almost all financial activities as well as non-financial activities. So, let's figure out the importance of this card-
• For employment: Any individual who is going for a salaried job, should have a PAN Card because almost all employers require your PAN card details for the purpose of salary accounting and taxation. This is required when deducting TDS, professional tax, etc.
• Proof of identity: PAN card is taken as a valid proof of identity in India. It is a document issued by government authority.
• For filing Income Tax return: It is a mandatory requirement to have a PAN card at the time of filing of income tax returns.
• Banking: A PAN card is required when opening a bank account whether it is savings or current account. All kinds of banks whether public, private, rural or cooperative banks require the submission of PAN card. This has been made mandatory in order to prevent money laundering.
• To prevent tax evasion: The card was issued in order to prevent tax evasion by individuals and entities as it links all financial transactions made by a particular individual or entity. In this way, the Income Tax Department has a detailed record of all major transactions for tax purposes.
• Cash Deposits>Rs.50,000: PAN has to be mentioned in case you are making cash deposits of more than Rs.50,000 in a single day to prevent money laundering.
• For fixed deposit: You are also required to submit PAN card details when opening a fixed deposit that exceeds Rs.50,000. This is because Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) will be deducted for the interest that such deposits accrue.
• Post Office Deposits: To open a deposit exceeding Rs.50,000 at a post office, you would be required to furnish your PAN details.
• Loan applications: If you are looking to take out a loan for any purpose require you to submit PAN card details. If your loan application gets rejected for want of PAN card details or any other details, it will impact on your credit score.
• Debit or credit card applications: PAN card details have to be furnished for credit and debit card applications as well. Applications that are rejected for want of PAN card details or any other details can negatively impact your credit score.
• Purchase of jewelry: PAN card is required if you are going to purchase jewellery worth more than Rs. 5 lakh.
• Vehicle purchase: For the sale or purchase of all vehicles, with the exception of two wheelers, PAN card details are provided.
• Mutual funds: As per the revised regulations, If you are planning to invest in mutual funds, bonds or any kind of securities, you are required to submit details of the PAN card data irrespective of size of investment..
• Share trading: PAN card details have to be furnished by both the broker, and the demat and trading account provider when trading shares.
• Foreign Exchange: If you are going abroad and wish to convert your Indian currency into foreign currency, you are required to provide details of your PAN at the money exchange bureau/bank/institution where you are converting the money.
• Insurance payments: The insurance watchdog in a circular had made it mandatory for issuers to collect PAN of every customer paying an annual premium more than Rs. 1 lakh as a part of the 'Know your customer'.
• Telephone connection: It is also mandatory to mention PAN for obtaining a telephone or mobile connection.
From the above, we can conclude that the significance of PAN cannot be questioned as this has become the primary document sought in all important legitimate dealings.
Can I get a PAN card even if I am not required by law to have a card?
Yes, anyone can voluntarily apply for a PAN card even if they are not required to do so under law.
Can I get a PAN card for my minor child?
Yes, Even PAN card can be issued for a new born Baby if the application is made by a Representative Assessee on behalf of the applicant.
Do I need to furnish PAN card details if I am buying jewelry worth Rs.50,000 or more?
You only need to furnish PAN card details if the jewellery purchase value exceeds Rs.5 lakh.
How many days does it take for a correction to be made in the PAN card details after such a request has been submitted?
It will take at least 15-20 days for the correction to be updated in the PAN card.
Will my PAN card number change if I make a change in my name?
No, your PAN will remain the same even if there is a change in your name as it is a Permanent Account Number.
Can PAN card be issued as ID proof at the airport?
Yes. A PAN card can be used for photo identity verification at the airport(both at the entry gate and check-in counter). The Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) has issued a list of 10 identity documents that can be used to gain entry to airport terminals and for checking in, dispelling confusion over the issue.
Tags :pannsdltin nsdl