Refund under the Income Tax Act, 1961 is Excess Taxes Paid - Actual tax liability of the assessee
The processing of the return takes place only after e-verifying the Income Tax Return.
There are 2 ways online to check the status of the refund.
- The e-filing portal of the Income Tax Portal.
- The TIN NSDL portal
Check the Refund Status on Income Tax Efiling Portal
- Visit https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal
- Log in Using the Username and Password
- Go to e-file tab and click on view filed returns
- Click view details on the desired Assessment Year.
Check the Refund Status on TIN NSDL Portal
- Visit https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/refund-status-pan.html.
- Enter the PAN, assessment year, and captcha.
- Click on 'Proceed' to check the status of the refund.
Reasons for not receiving a refund even after verification
- ITR is under Processing. The ITR filed is under process and the refund will be credited subject to the verification of the return by the Assessing officer.
- Defective Notice under section 139(9):While filing the returns some of the information may be omitted or there may be some errors. Examples for defective return are: Not filling the Annexures, mismatch is tax payable and tax actually paid. Gross Income as per 26AS not considered.
- Notice for adjustment u/s 143(1)(a) : This is an intimation from the Central Processing Centre (CPC) seeking clarification of the mismatch between the Income and deduction when compared to Form 16, Form 16A or Form 26AS.
- ITR Processed but no refund due: This means the Assessing Officer has recalculated the Income and determined that no refund is due to the assessee.
- Refund partially adjusted: If there is any previous demand outstanding then such refund shall be adjusted to the demand or set off of refunds under section 245 of the Income Tax Act, 1961
When to Request for Refund Reissue?
If you have received an intimation from the Income Tax Department or Refund Banker that the processing of refund has failed, you can submit a Refund Reissue Request on the e-Filing portal. With refund reissue request service, taxpayers can raise requests in e-Filing portal for re-issuance of refund.
When there is Incorrect/Non-Validated Bank Account
It is compulsory to prevalidate a Bank Account.
To validate bank account:
(i) In My profile tab, Click on Bank Details
(ii) Enter bank details
(iii)Enable the option Nominate bank account for Refund
Refund may also fail if
- The Bank Account is Closed
- The IFSC is wrong
- There is a name Mismatch in PAN and Bank Details (Contact bank for correction)
The assessee is entitled to an Interest on refunds under any of these Sections 243, 244, and 244A of The Income Tax Act, 1961.
How to Raise Refund Reissue?
- Go to https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal and click on login.
- Login Using user id and Password
- Go to Services and click on Refund Re-issue in the drop-down menu.
- Click on Create Refund Re-issue request
- Click on the acknowledgement number for the particular assessment year that has a refund issue.
- Click on Bank Name For a particular assessment year that has a refund issue.
- Enter OTP received on the Aadhar linked mobile Number and click on Validate.
- Submit the Request
Tags income tax itr