- CBIC extends late fee amnesty scheme to 30th November 2021
- CBIC extends the timeline for filing of the application for revocation of cancellation of registration
- CBIC amends Form GST ASMT-14 via CGST (Seventh Amendment) Rules, 2021
Click here to read the official announcement
Whenever you are going to pay any invoice, it is very important to first ensure that whether the mentioned GST number on the invoice is correct or not. Goods and Service Tax Identification Number is your business identity number registered with the Government of India. Many times the suppliers misuse fake GSTIN to collect taxes from the customer and to issue bogus invoices for fake inward supplies to claim Input Tax Credit.
To protect honest taxpayers from such malpractices and catch the malicious taxpayers from carrying out such illegal practises, the GST Portal gives an online facility for GST Number Verification.
The GSTIN Verification tool shows the data from the GST portal to check whether the GST number you searched is a genuine registered number or not. The process to verify is very simple.
GST Verification by GSTIN/UIN:
- Visit the official GST Portal at https://www.gst.gov.in/
- Click on the dropdown of the Search Taxpayers
- Click on Search by GSTIN/UIN.
- Enter the GST Number and the captcha shown and then click on Search.
By using this GSTIN checking tool , you can check whether the given number is correct or not. If the GSTIN provided is incorrect, then you will get an error message. If correct you will see the details attached to the GSTIN such as:
• Legal Name of Business
• State Jurisdiction
• Center Jurisdiction
• Date of registration
• Constitution of Business
• Taxpayer Type
• GSTIN / UIN Status
• Nature of Business Activities
GST Verification by PAN Number:
1. Visit the official GST Portal at https://www.gst.gov.in/
2. Click on the dropdown of the Search Taxpayers
3. Click on Search taxpayer by PAN
4. Enter the PAN and then click on Search.
5. By using this online tool , you can check whether the given number is correct or not. If the GSTIN provided is incorrect, then you will get an error message. If correct you will see the details attached to the GSTIN linked to the respective PAN.
GST Verification by Name:
You can not search the GSTIN Number with the Company or person name. At present, you can search the details by GSTN number and PAN
• The first 2 digits denote the unique state code like the state code of New Delhi is 07 and for Haryana is 06.
• The next 10 characters are the PAN number of the taxpayer.
• The 13th digit shows the registration number of the taxpayer with the same PAN number.
• The 14th digit is "Z” by default
• The 15th digit is the check digit – can be a number or an alphabet.
If you find that GST number is fake then you must inform the respective authorities. You can mail your complaint at firstname.lastname@example.org or can also call at public helpline number.
Tags gst pan