Arjuna (Fictional Character): Krishna, GST provisional registrations has now started. The work of GST has come to a standstill in parliament due to discussion about old notes. Then why did GST provisional registrations get started now. For whom is it and how is it to be done?
Krishna (Fictional Character): Arjuna, it’s like a movie is about to release, its advance booking starts, the same situation is for GST. Before the GST law coming into implementation, the queue for its e-registrations is being lined up. Whether the movie will be super hit or Flop is not known before it gets released, similar is the case with GST.
It is happening for the first time in the history of India that even if a law has not been passed its provisional registrations have started. The government wants to make GST applicable form 1st April 2017. In India, there are almost 80 lakh indirect taxpayers. If everyone starts registering at the same time, then system may collapse. That is why, the GST provisional registrations must have been started now. Most importantly, the GST provisional registrations are started only for those who are already registered with Sales Tax Department. The registrations has not been started for those taxpayers who provide only services. Also, the registrations for new dealers/taxable person under proposed GST has not been started. The government has specified a time limit within which all states are required to get the provisional registrations id . For Maharashtra state, this time limit is 15th November 2016 to 30th November 2016 for getting provisional ID. Thereafter the taxpayers has to to GSTN site get provisional registration. Further who are not registered in this time period can get registered till 31st January 2017.
Arjuna: Krishna, what will have to be done for provisional registration in GST, if he is exiting dealer under MVAT?
Krishna: Arjuna, for provisional registration of GST, everyone would have to first go to the MVAT website www.mahavat.gov.in and get provisional id. For that he will have to perform following procedure:
1. Log in to the MVAT website i.e. enter TIN no. and password.
2. Click on the first tab "GST in provisional ID" after logging in.
3. Then quote e-mail id and mobile number
4. After that, a sms stating five digit password will come on mobile number which shall be entered. Also, name of tax practitioner, his e-mail id and mobile number will have to be mentioned.
5. Later, an acknowledgement of the taxpayer's provisional id will be displayed. Also, copy of acknowledgement is sent on the e-mail id. This will include the name, email id, mobile number of the taxpayer and the tax practitioner and a 15 alphanumerical provisional id and access token.
Arjuna: Krishna, what will have to be done after receiving the provisional id?
Krishna: Arjuna, after receiving the provisional id, one will have to visit the website www.gst.gov.in for obtaining registration for GST. Provisional id and password will have to be entered there and a password will be received on e-mail and mobile. After quoting it, one will have to mention user id and password. Also, questions for security purpose will have to be answered. Further, the taxpayer will have to give business details, business place, details of other business places, the details of goods traded or services rendered (as per HSN code under excise), bank account details. Lastly, the form will have to be uploaded with digital signature of the authorized person.
Arjuna: Krishna, which documents will be required for taking GST registration?
Krishna: Arjuna, while registering for GST, some documents will be required to state specified details and some documents will be required to be attached for registration.
1. Copy of PAN card
2. Copy of Aadhar card.
3. In case of a proprietor copy of shop act. In case of partnership or LLP, a copy of partnership deed. A copy of memorandum and articles of association in case of a company.
4. Letter of authorized person.
5. Bank account statement or pass book copy.
6. Photo of proprietor or all partners (in this case, direct selfie can also be attached).
7. Photo of authorized person.
8. In case of non-resident partner or director, copy of passport will be required to be attached.
Arjuna: Krishna, what should people learn from this?
Krishna: Arjuna, while getting provisionally registered for GST, all taxpayers should first verify all the required details and then state it in the form. Even though the last date i.e. 30th November is coming closer, taxpayers should not get bungled as registration can be done till 31st January 2017. Everyone would get the advance booking and ticket of the GST movie. But whether the film is a hit or a flop, will be understood in coming days. The GST is going to get implemented anyhow. So everyone should do e-booking (registration) for GST in the given time period. It means that every business men should study GST law and start planning. New draft law of GST is released on 25th Nov, one should refer it. Final law will take some time. This is the just trailer of movie, “Picture to abhi baki hai, mere dost!