The Government of India founded the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) on 1st March 2002 under the provisions of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001. The mission of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency is to help in developing policies and methods with a thrust on self-regulation and market principles, within the framework of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001 with the first objective of reducing the energy intensity of the Indian economy.
Role of BEE
BEE co-ordinates with designated consumers, designated agencies and other organizations and recognize, identify and utilize the present resources and infrastructure, in performing the functions assigned thereto under the Energy Conservation Act. The Energy Conservation Act provides for regulatory and promotional functions.
The Major Promotional Functions of BEE include
- Create awareness and disseminate information on energy efficiency and conservation
- Arrange and organize training of personnel and specialists within the techniques for efficient use of energy and its conservation
- Strengthen consultancy services within the field of energy conservation
- Promote research and development
- Develop testing and certification procedures and promote testing facilities
- Formulate and facilitate implementation of pilot projects and demonstration projects
- Promote use of energy efficient processes, equipment, devices and systems
- Take steps to encourage preferential treatment to be used of energy efficient equipment or appliances
- Promote innovative financing of energy efficiency projects
- Give financial assistance to institutions for promoting efficient use of energy and its conservation
- Prepare educational curriculum on efficient use of energy and its conservation
- Implement international co-operation programmes regarding efficient use of energy and its conservation
BEE Registration in India
- The manufacturer(s) should complete the testing and documentation required by BEE India so as to certify the merchandise with BEE Star Rating.
- Submit the sample(s) and technical documents to NABL accredited lab for Testing and find the test report.
- Compile the mandatory documents and register Brand on BEE portal together with online remittance of the protection deposit fee.