Types of Audit
- Audit by Tax Authorities
- Special Audit
Audit by Tax Authorities
- Under What circumstances: Not Specific, means order can be given under any circumstances.
- Who can order: Commissioner or any officer authorised by him.
- What kind of order: General or Special in GST ADT-01.
- Period of audit: Such period as prescribed in order. It shall be a financial year or multiple thereof.
- Frequency of audit: as given in order.
- Manner of audit: as prescribed. (Rules)
- Place of Audit: Registered office of the taxable person or office of the proper officer.
- Notice period: not less than 15 days .
- Time Limit of Completed Audit: three months from the date of commencement.
- Extension of Time Limit of completed Audit: extend to further period of 6 months
- Who can extend: Commissioner
- How can extend: The Commissioner should record the reason in writing.
- What is the date of commencement of Audit: Date when the documents or other information is made available or Actual institution of Audit at the place of business whichever is later.
Information for Audit: A.O. may require the registered person
- Afford the facility for the audit
- To furnish such information and render assistance for timely completion of audit.
- Time Limit of giving findings: within 30 days of completing the audit.
- What will be included in findings: Findings, Right, obligation and the reason of the findings. (GST ADT-02).
- Results of Audit: In case of tax not paid, short paid , erroneously refund or wrong tax credit availed or utilised, action under section 73 or section 74.
- Who can direct for special audit: Officer not below the rank of assistant commissioner with prior approval of commissioner to the registered person to get his account audited . (GST ADT-03).
- When such direction shall be made: At the stage any scrutiny, inspection, inquiry or any proceedings before him, having regard to the nature and complexity of the case and the interest of revenue.
- Value has not been correctly declared.
- Credit availed is not within the normal limit.
- Who will conduct the special audit: Chartered Accountant, Cost Accountant or person nominated by the commissioner.
- Time Limit of Completion of special Audit and submit the report: within 90 days
- Extension of special audit: further period of 90 days.
- Who can apply for extension: Registered person or Auditor
- Opportunity of being heard: The registered person shall be given the opportunity of being heard before the final audit report being submitted.
- Who will pay the cost of special audit: Expenses including remuneration shall be determined and paid by commissioner and such determination shall be final.
- Results of Special Audit: In case of tax not paid, short paid , erroneously refund or wrong tax credit availed or utilised, action under section 73 or section 74. (GST ADT-04).