Karnataka Professional Tax

I am a GST Composition dealer. Sole Proprietor. Business: Website. No employees. I manage the website.

Last year, Commercial Taxes Dept. emailed me notification to pay Rs.2500 as Karnataka Professional Tax, via vat.kar.nic.in website. (I had not registered for KPT. But the commercial tax department has my data from GST registration.)

Questions:

1) I have NO employees. So I am not an employer. But I am the sole proprietor for my biz. Am I liable to pay Karnataka Professional Tax? 

2) I still have not registered for KPT thru e-Prerana. But paid KPT via  vat.kar.nic.in  filling my GSTIN number. I got a CTD reference number for successful payment. Is it ok or should I file returns in e-Prerana even if I have no employees?

Please advise. 

Thanks

Replies (1)

1) I have NO employees. So I am not an employer. But I am the sole proprietor for my biz. Am I liable to pay Karnataka Professional Tax?  = Employer (corporates, partnership firms, sole proprietorship etc) also being a person carrying on trade/profession is also required to pay professional tax on his trade/profession again subject to the monetary threshold if any provided by respective State's legislation

 

2) I still have not registered for KPT thru e-Prerana. But paid KPT via  vat.kar.nic.in  filling my GSTIN number. I got a CTD reference number for successful payment. Is it ok or should I file returns in e-Prerana even if I have no employees? Please advise.  = You should and must register for state professional tax and file NIL Returns and pay the yearly charges as applicable otherwise you may also be penalized as per you state laws and regulations
 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
07 October 2026
Senior Account Manager

Amplio Invest

Mumbai

M.Com

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details