ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Is it too late for a career switch to Accounting at 34....?

John (N/a) (24 Points)

31 May 2011  

Hi everyone,

Hi im currently 34, from India and would like to do a career switch into the Accounting field. I'm planning to start with the ICWAI foundation as I am 12th passed (Not a Graduate) & then finish upto Final level.I know this process will take 3 - 4 years to complete which I am willing to do.On the side I can start an entry level accounting job to start gaining experience in this field ( though I know that will be difficult getting a job for a person not having accounting work experience). As much as I wish to expedite the learning process as a late starter in this field, I believe in getting my foundations right and would appreciate if someone can give me some advise on the following:

a) Is the ICWAI course class based or correspondence based ?
b) In the ICWAI website it has been about coaching / training done by ICWAI.Are they classes which I have to attend or I have to take private classes on my own to solve any problems of grasping accounting concepts.
c)For the Intermediate course do I have to be a graduate ? That means I also should take an undergraduate degree program & passed it to be eligible for the ICWAI Intermediate course ? Or the passing the ICWAI final course is considered to be graduate enough ? 
Please correct me if I am wrong.In case would taking the ICWAI's B.COM WITH MAJOR IN FINANCIAL AND COST ACCOUNTING [B.COM (F & CA)] programe with ICWAI foundation course. 
d)Passing / Getting the ICWAI final certification is equivalent to the US CMA ? 

I need your kind guidance with regards to a career in accounting field.I have been working for 10 years in different fields.I had some financial problems due to which I couldn't complete my graduate studies.
I have worked in sales & back office in a securities firm for 5 years.Then I shifted to Dubai working for a reputed local bank in back office for 4 years.Then the recession hit Dubai badly & the bank had to lay off excess staff.I got married then & had worked for a private firm in a sales position in Dubai before that company had to be closed down due to cash problems.

I am now having financial problems. 

I have been doing a lot of thinking about my future planning.In college accounts used to be my favourite subject as I used to liked tallying things in the balance sheet, etc.I was initially interested in doing the CMA (Certified Management Accountant) course of USA.But then I know it is very expensive & time consuming.I believe that in India we have the ICWAI which is equal to the US CMA.Please correct me if I am wrong.

But first I want to my get my Accounting basics correct.I know that most companies hiring CMAs/ ICWAI accountants hire people who have a Bachelors in Accountancy.I also feel that it has been a long time since I have done college, so I would have forget most of the Basic Accounting principles.

My 2nd option is to enrol for the ICA's 3 year B.Com (Finance & Investment) program & working part time in account related jobs to gain pratical knowledge.After finishing my B.Com I can do the same ICA's CIA Plus program to gain higher knowledge in practical Accounts.You can check the site https://www.icajobguarantee.com

Guys I am confused & in a very tough situation.The reason why I am looking for accounting field is that I have interest in it & I believe it has stability & good growth prospects in today's recession economy.
I look forward to receiving good advise and thank you in advance.

Sorry for the trouble & posting such a big Question .. :-)

Thanks & Regards,
John D

9 Replies

Sasanka Bhalaki (Student) (1935 Points)
Replied 31 May 2011

Hai Sir..offcourse u can go for CWA.u can start from foundation ..u register for foundation before june 5 for december attempt..after completing foudnaiton u will be eligible for doing CWA inter there is no requirement of degree. And it is a correspondence course..if u are not in touch with the topics u may go for coaching..there are lot of institutes providing such CWA coaching.So without any fear u can join in it..it will help u a lot.and offcourse u can do simultaneously b.com also..and after finishing CWA u will be treated as CMA in INDIA it is recent announcement for CWA people..So all the best.

AJAY RITTO (IPCC , CS EXEC) (109 Points)
Replied 31 May 2011

If u have will to do, you can, Whats your inner feeling in your heart......! Dont bother about others

Have a glorious 26 years in accounting field assuming u retire by 60.

John (N/a) (25 Points)
Replied 01 June 2011

Thanks guys ....Appreciate your help in advicing me ..... Really thanks a lot !!!

CA Bijoya (ca) (77 Points)
Replied 02 June 2011

sir, i appreciate n salute ur ability to stand n achieve this much where most people lose confidence n get lost in dis competitive world...so i wish dat u dont lose confidence at a time when u need it d most....

As far as ur age is concerned....i would like u to know about C.A S.D. BALA SIR...he has the unique record of joining  the c.a course at d age of 57 n completing it by 60...

Wishing u d very best of luck

CMA. Rakesh Kataria (Practising Cost Accountant)   (531 Points)
Replied 02 June 2011

Age is no bar for doing any professional cource, if you have courage then join and do the CMA from ICWAI, you will be getting better prospects in your life.

It is the best course for the working peoples.

CMA.Ravindran D. K. (Management Accountant) (46 Points)
Replied 04 June 2011

Dear Sir,

First orf all I appreciate your courage and initiative at this age to start a professional course....AGE IS NO BAR FOR A PROFESSIONAL COURSE SINCE IT LEADS DIRECTLY TO A PROFESSION.../ PRACTICE (LIKE A PRACTISING DOCTOR...)

also age is a factor of the mind and is not written anywhere in the body.......if you are mentally strong then , it is God's will and your destiny that has made you to think like this......believe me you will end up in achieving big things in life after five years.....

even in the worst case scenario, there is nothing wrong in studying as it improves ones knowledge and it will definitely increase the confidence of you.....and more over these courses are not expensive like engineering or medical....

My friends' colleague is working at ITC Ltd. and has joined ICWA at the age of 46 and he cleared Inter after two years and then he got promoted......we know there are many examples like this....

to be specific to your queries  :

a) Is the ICWAI course class based or correspondence based ?— IT IS A DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAM….CLASSES ARE NOT COMPULSORY BUT STILL IT IS ADVISABLE TO JOIN CLASSES SINCE YOU HAD LOST TOUCH WITH THE SUBJECT….

b) In the ICWAI website it has been about coaching / training done by ICWAI.Are they classes which I have to attend or I have to take private classes on my own to solve any problems of grasping accounting concepts.—
SAME LIKE (a) above

c)For the Intermediate course do I have to be a graduate ? That means I also should take an undergraduate degree program & passed it to be eligible for the ICWAI Intermediate course ? Or the passing the ICWAI final course is considered to be graduate enough ? 
–you can join ICWA Foundation course which is designed for 10+2 students…..

Please correct me if I am wrong.In case would taking the ICWAI's B.COM WITH MAJOR IN FINANCIAL AND COST ACCOUNTING [B.COM (F & CA)] programe with ICWAI foundation course.
 –studying B.COM is optional for you since you are joining the ICWA Foundation course

–When you pass ICWA Final exams and after 3 years of post qualification experience, you can become an associate member of ICWA and then you can directly apply for the CMA of USA without writing any exams….

My sincere suggestion is below :

ICWA IS A 4 YEAR COURSE….BUT THE CMA FROM USA IS A ONE YEAR COURSE….AND IT HAS ONLY TWO PARTS /  SUBJECTS TO BE PASSED…..IT IS A FULLY ONLINE EXAM WRITTEN IN COMPUTERS THRU OBJECTIVE TEST AND IS MUCH EASY WHEN COMPARED TO ICWAI….THE EXAMS FOR CMA ARE CONDUCTED IN MOST OF THE CITIES IN INDIA AND IT CAN BE TAKEN AT ANYTIME DURING THE YEAR…….visit the website www.imanet.org

If you pass the CMA from USA, then you can get the ICWAI degree , with just one or two paper or even complete exemption from exams….

Hence it is advisable to do CMA of USA and get ICWAI easily….you can check the same in www.myicwai.com

1 Like

CMA.Ravindran D. K. (Management Accountant) (46 Points)
Replied 04 June 2011

Dear Sir,

First orf all I appreciate your courage and initiative at this age to start a professional course....AGE IS NO BAR FOR A PROFESSIONAL COURSE SINCE IT LEADS DIRECTLY TO A PROFESSION.../ PRACTICE (LIKE A PRACTISING DOCTOR...)

also age is a factor of the mind and is not written anywhere in the body.......if you are mentally strong then , it is God's will and your destiny that has made you to think like this......believe me you will end up in achieving big things in life after five years.....

even in the worst case scenario, there is nothing wrong in studying as it improves ones knowledge and it will definitely increase the confidence of you.....and more over these courses are not expensive like engineering or medical....

My friends' colleague is working at ITC Ltd. and has joined ICWA at the age of 46 and he cleared Inter after two years and then he got promoted......we know there are many examples like this....

to be specific to your queries  :

a) Is the ICWAI course class based or correspondence based ?— IT IS A DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAM….CLASSES ARE NOT COMPULSORY BUT STILL IT IS ADVISABLE TO JOIN CLASSES SINCE YOU HAD LOST TOUCH WITH THE SUBJECT….

b) In the ICWAI website it has been about coaching / training done by ICWAI.Are they classes which I have to attend or I have to take private classes on my own to solve any problems of grasping accounting concepts.—
SAME LIKE (a) above

–you can join ICWA Foundation course which is designed for 10+2 students…..

–studying B.COM is optional for you since you are joining the ICWA Foundation course

–When you pass ICWA Final exams and after 3 years of post qualification experience, you can become an associate member of ICWA and then you can directly apply for the CMA of USA without writing any exams….

My sincere suggestion is below :

ICWA IS A 4 YEAR COURSE….BUT THE CMA FROM USA IS A ONE YEAR COURSE….AND IT HAS ONLY TWO PARTS /  SUBJECTS TO BE PASSED…..IT IS A FULLY ONLINE EXAM WRITTEN IN COMPUTERS THRU OBJECTIVE TEST AND IS MUCH EASY WHEN COMPARED TO ICWAI….THE EXAMS FOR CMA ARE CONDUCTED IN MOST OF THE CITIES IN INDIA AND IT CAN BE TAKEN AT ANYTIME DURING THE YEAR…….visit the website www.imanet.org

If you pass the CMA from USA, then you can get the ICWAI degree , with just one or two paper or even complete exemption from exams….

Hence it is advisable to do CMA of USA and get ICWAI easily….you can check the same in www.myicwai.com

Sudeshna Mazumdar (NA) (63 Points)
Replied 15 April 2012

Hi Every1 :)

Thanks Thanks Thanks for discussing the topic in so excellent way :) I also wanna opt for the ICWA curriculum and I am 32+ now. So, I was really confused and wanted to know whether I am eligible for the curriculum ... Thanks a billion to all of you for discussing the topic and providing the guts to move for the ICWA. You know, there always remains a hell lot of people surrounding; who are always ready to pull you down mentally !!!

In my case, I got 1st class in MBA Finance ( Regular -Part II ) and done MCA and GNIIT (97%) also. Done Quality Management with 82% too; BUT I always feel like there are still full of world to grasp. I wanna discover, what is the ICWA and what can I learn to proceed with it, by pursuing with it !

I want to go for ICWA; because, I love to know the things I don't know... and unfortunately there are still almost 99% things in the world, I am completely in greek with !

So, I would again like to convey my hearty thanks to all of you to push me up through my destination. Thank You so very much.

I shall be really thankful if someone guide me about what level I have to start up with the ICWA curriculum and what is the current course fees.

Please reply ... my mail id - atprofession @ gmail.com

Thank you so so much to everybody for being there ...

Regards,

Sudeshna ... :)

CMA Sonu... (Asst. Manager - Finance)   (158 Points)
Replied 03 July 2012

Hie Jhon,

Today is only the first day of ur life, yet to come ahead.

You're never too late for a New Begining.

Becomming a CWA really nt a big deal..just be cool & u can do it...!!

But also as u have not done ur graduation i would recommend you to go for a B.Com from correspondence.

That would help enrich  you work exp. also.

And finally till the time you complete your cwa, work with any company which is 5 days working in deed.

Best....sonu

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags