Extraordinary vs. Ordinary:

Kashish Grover ( CA-FINAL, CS-FINAL) (1671 Points)

06 February 2011  

Extraordinary vs. Ordinary: what's the real difference?

Extraordinary. Ordinary. The real difference is just a little extra. However, it is actually a whole lot more if accumulated through time.

Every person has the opportunity to be extraordinary. All that’s needed is the decision and the determination to consistently do the extra.

In the 1940s a respected senator who was admired for his knowledge was asked, “You never spent much time in college, if any. How did you acquire your understanding of national and international affairs? Where have you learned so much about so many things?”

His answer was direct, “When I was 18 I made a rule that I would read 2 hours everyday. Whether I am in a train, in hotels, in waiting rooms…”

Reading for two hours everyday made him an expert without spending much time in college.

That little extra accumulated through time compounds. People who will never sacrifice for that little extra everyday or every week will never be extraordinary, they will remain ordinary forever.

In basketball, an extra field goal, or an extra rebound, or an extra steal, or an extra turn over; can determine between winning and losing.

The coach understands the importance of that little extra in every area. A dynamic team will always strive to give a little more than their best.

If every member of the team gives ten percent more, the end result is not ten percent increase in the bottom-line. It is so much more.

This is also true for any business. Try increasing the rate in every sales activity by ten percent.

If we increase the number of leads, conversion rate, number of transactions, and profit margins each by ten percent; the result is not ten percent more in the bottom-line. It is so much more.

That little extra accumulated through time compounds. Teams who will never sacrifice for that little extra will remain ordinary forever.

Do you want to be extra-ordinary?