Capital gain tax

Hi Team,

 

I have a query. I bought a house in 2010 in Mumbai and now I want to sell it. I will buy another house with the proceeds. Can you please let me know if there will be any capital gain tax.

 

Regards,

Ujjwal Jha

Replies (2)

Dear Mr. Ujjwal,

I dont think you would be eligible for exemption since the property you are selling is a SHORT TERM CAPITAL ASSET. Exemption from capital gains by investing in new house is available only on Long Term Capital Asset. Hence, sec 54 would not be applicable in your case. 

You will have to pay tax on STCG arising out the sale / transfer of your residential house property.

Being short term capital gain Tax would be levied according to the slab.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details