Based upon the exhilarating response to my previous article (Tips to manage stress at work especially written to benefit Articled Assistants and others alike :) ), i am now writing this article on how to manage your studies while Doing Articles:
1. Please do not carry your work home. If you do that you wont have time to read anything. Start off from the first day at work.
2. People generally have the wrong impression that attending classes gives us all the exposure that we need to write our PCC exam or our Final exam. However, it is not so easy. (Many of the members of this esteemed site will agree with me). So start off with a time table first.
3. If you have 8 Subjects(Final) 3 Subjects(IPCC) or 6 Subjects (PCC) doesn't matter. What matters is how well you are planning your studies and how well you are sticking to your Time Table.
4. Come home and instead of jus sitting and relaxing, develop a hobby, so that while relaxing, you also have an activity to do. ( HOBBIES DO NOT MEAN WATCHING TV OR SITTING AND PLAYING GAMES ON YOUR PC, PS OR XBOX). Philately, Numismatics, gardening, cooking, etc comprise hobbies.
5. After an hour or two of relaxation, have a bath, have something light to eat and sit down to do some R&D with your books. Do your own R&D so that you will develop your own methods of study and ways to make the subjects more interesting.
6. Keep eye catching charts of important points of an act or anything that you feel important. So by having glance at them, you can revise and recapitulate.
7. Maintain very good health. Health is very important. People : PLEASE CONCENTRATE ON YOUR STUDIES BUT HEALTH IS MORE IMPORTANT. EAT NUTRITIOUS FOOD AND AVOID JUNK FOOD. IF YOU HAVE A FULL STOMACH, YOU CAN CONCENTRATE ON STUDIES.
8. If you get sleep during studying, don't stop it, because it is a natural phenomena. But set your alarm to wake you up after 15 min. You will be more refreshed and thus can do better work with your studies.
9. At work, if you have free time, please go to informative sites instead of chatting with your colleagues or over messengers. That is good only for refreshment sakes. According to me CACLUB is one site wherein there is knowledge everywhere. Also you can browse to Citeman, ICAI, VakilNo1 etc. They all contain informative information.
10. Also develop your GK. We are professional students and need to have knowledge of all fields. Also i feel ours is the only profession in which we come across different fields of the world and also we come across different industries, businesses etc. So make use of the same and browse through the sites of all that's possible. So that by doing this you will not only be increasing your knowledgebase but you ll also kill boredom.
11. Keeping books while you work is a good idea because what we read can be applied at work. Subjects like Income Tax and Audit have a direct bearing on our work at clients place. So keep these books ready with you while you are out at the clients place so that you can refer and help the client in more than one ways.
12. Improve you Communication skills (I will write an article on this in a few days). Communication skills can be improved by Listening, Speaking and Writing. So listen to good speeches, Speak to people in English(as that is now the universal language of Business) and Write. What ever you think of put it down on paper so that you can improvise on the same.
13. Please do not be under the misconception that sleeping late in the nights can fetch you good marks. Wake up early and start revising for about 2 Hrs. (In case you wake up at 5 AM, Revision timings 5AM to 7 AM). Try to sleep by 10AM daily so that you will have adequate sleep and rest. But then while working, i think we can put in 4Hrs a day for our studies.
Friends these are a few tips that you can follow.
Please note that these are tips only and people may improvise on these. This is just a humble attempt to present tips to manage your studies while doing your articles.
Comments are welcome.
All the best and God Bless