The Ministry of Labour and Employment, the Government of India, and the State Governments regulate 44 labor laws in India. These include 'The Industrial Disputes (Central) Rules, 1957', 'The Trade Union Act, 1926', 'The Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972', 'The Employees Provident Fund & Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952, etc.
Due to the vast nature of labor laws spread across these 44 acts, it becomes tedious, time-consuming, and difficult for companies to comply with all of them. As a result, they often end up neglecting these laws. Due to this, employees do not receive what they are entitled to under these laws.
About the Shram Suvidha Portal
As a means to ease the complexities of the already existing labor laws in India, the Ministry of Labour and Employment announced a one-stop-shop for all labor law compliance activities in the year 2014. This single unified portal, known as the Shram Suvidha Portal covers 16 labor laws for Online Registration of Units, Reporting of inspections, and submission of Annual Returns.
The Shram Suvidha portal will also bring transparency and accountability in the enforcement of labor laws and will also cater to the four main organizations under the aegis of the Ministry of Labour & Employment i.e. Office of Chief Labour Commissioner (Central), Directorate General of Mines Safety, Employees' Provident Fund Organization, and Employees' State Insurance Corporation.
Salient Features of the Shram Suvidha Yojana
- A unique Labour Identification Number (LIN) will be allotted to all business units
- A unified Electronic Challan cum Return will be filed under Employees' Provident Fund Organization and Employees' State Insurance Corporation
- Transparency and accountability for enforcement of labor laws will be ensured by making a provision for an inspection system and an online inspection report
- A system of filing self-certified and simplified online shram suvidha annual returns will be made. This will reduce the complexity of complying with multiple labor laws.
Objectives of the Shram Suvidha Portal
- To consolidate the information on labor inspection and its enforcement
- To ensure transparency and accountability in inspections
- To ease the process of filing forms by reporting compliances in a Single Harmonized Form
- To monitor the performance by using key indicators and making the evaluation process unbiased
- To replace all employment codes issued by separate labor enforcement agencies like ESIC, EPFO, CLC(C), DGMS, etc. by issuing a common Labour Identification Number (LIN)
Services available under the Shram Suvidha Portal
- Labour Identification Number (LIN) generation
- Labour Identification Number (LIN) data modification and validation
- Pre-assigning user ID and password
- E-mail and SMS notification availment
- Entry verification by the law enforcement agency
- Submission of Annual Return of CLC(C) and DGMS
- Common submission of EPFO and ESIC monthly returns
- Online entry by employer, establishment, and enforcement agency
- Managing, creating, and updating establishments and their inspection reports
- Password change
Special Services offered by the Directorate General Labour Welfare (DGLW)
- Building and other Construction Workers (https://bocw.shramsuvidha.gov.in/)
- Elimination and abolition of Bonded Labour (https://bonded.shramsuvidha.gov.in/)
- Revised Integrated Housing Scheme – 2016 (https://housing.shramsuvidha.gov.in/)
How to register under the Shram Suvidha Portal?
Step 1: Visit the Shram Suvidha Portal at https://registration.shramsuvidha.gov.in/user/register
Step 2: Fill your credentials and click on 'Sign Up'. You will be given a login ID and password instantly.
Step 3: Login using the credentials given and register yourself in the relevant act
How to know your Labour Identification Number?
Step 2: You will now be given two options in the given form.
Option 1: Know your LIN by Establishment Name – Herein, you have to enter your Establishment Name, Country, State, and District. After that, click on 'Submit'. You will now be able to see your Labour Identification Number.
Option 2: Know your LIN by Establishment Identifier – Herein, you have to enter your identifier registered with LIN, values of selected identifier, and Verification Code. After that, click on 'Submit'. You will now be able to see your Labour Identification Number.
How to know your minimum wage?
Step 2: Enter the Wage City, Worker Category, Scheduled Employment, and Verification Code. Then click on 'Submit'. You will now be able to see your minimum wage.
Different registration forms under Labour Related Laws
- Form A: Employee Register
- Form B: Wage Rate
- Form C: Loan Recoveries
- Form D: Attendance Register
- Form E: Leave Related
Benefits of the Shram Suvidha Portal
1. Ease of Reporting
The Shram Suvidha Portal consolidates the reporting of all major labor laws under one umbrella. This helps the user in avoiding confusion and saving time as multiple reports are no longer to be filed. The user can now simply file a consolidated return for all labor laws.
2. Transparency in Labour Inspection
The Shram Suvidha Portal provides complete transparency and unbiased reporting structure when it comes to labor inspection and monitoring of labor inspection as this will be done based on key performance indices and in an objective manner.
3. Online Reporting by Inspecting Officials
The Shram Suvidha Portal makes it easier for inspecting officials by giving a provision of online reporting of the harmonized inspection report by them. They will no longer have to prepare separate reports for separate inspection.
4. Simplifying business regulations
The biggest advantage offered by the Shram Suvidha Portal is simplifying business regulations. Earlier, business personnel had to study the major labor laws in the country and comply with each of them separately. With the introduction of the Shram Suvidha Yojana, businesses can simply register on the portal, find the law that they have to comply with, and adhere to its regulations.
5. Employee Satisfaction
Prior to the Shram Suvidha Portal, businesses had to comply with separate labor law regulations. Due to the difficulty and tediousness of the procedure, employers often did not comply with the same. This had a huge impact on the employees as they were not being given the minimum benefits under labor laws. The Shram Suvidha Portal provided ease of compliance with labor laws due to which employee satisfaction rate has reached great heights.
Tags :corporate law