Arjuna (Fictional Character): Krishna, the Income Tax Department launched the new income tax e-filing portal on 7th June 2021 to make it more taxpayer-friendly. But instead of providing an easy and smooth interface, the new portal has posed various issues.
Krishna (Fictional Character): Arjuna, after the launch of the new portal, due to technical glitches, the functioning of the portal was affected. Even though more than a month has passed, problems seem to be being faced by the taxpayers, professionals, and other stakeholders.
Arjuna (Fictional Character): Krishna, what were the issues in the functioning of the new portal of income tax e-filing?
Krishna (Fictional Character): Arjuna, some of the major issues faced by taxpayers and other stakeholders, in brief, are as follows:
- The portal was working very slow.
- Registration of the digital signature could not be done on the new portal.
- The income tax return for the financial year 2020-21 could not be filed.
- Income Tax appeals could not be filed.
- TDS returns could not be e-filed.
- There were problems with trust registrations.
- Form 15CA/CB for foreign remittances could not be filed.
- The utility of e-proceedings was not available.
- The Vivaad se Vishwas compliance window was not available.
- E-verification could not be done for e-filed returns and other forms.
Arjuna (Fictional Character): Krishna, how much the department is successful in resolving these issues?
Krishna (Fictional Character): Arjuna, the department is continuously working for resolving the issues and updating the new portal. Some of the issues have been resolved such as:
- The slow functioning of the portal has been addressed to some extent.
- ITR-1 and ITR-4 can be filed with some difficulties.
- The registration of a digital signature is now being accepted.
- Now the TDS returns can be filed on the new portal.
- The utility of e-proceedings is working now.
Arjuna (Fictional Character): Krishna, there are so many issues still pending to be resolved. What will be the impact of the same?
Krishna (Fictional Character): Arjuna, the new income tax portal aimed at providing a modern and friendly interface to the users for easy compliance. But due to technical glitches and other issues, many problems have arisen. The department had to allow the manual filing of forms for foreign remittances and extended the same to 15.8.2021. If the problems are not solved soon, the due dates of various compliance will have to be extended. The launch of the new features like mobile app, online tax payment system, etc has also been delayed. The department is expecting that the website will function properly by the first week of August. This has given rise to a situation of 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham'.
Disclaimer: This Karneeti tax update is only for the purpose of information and does not constitute or purport to be advice or opinion in any manner. The information provided is not intended to create an advisor-client relationship and is not for advertising or soliciting. The author does not intend in any manner to solicit work through these Tax update articles. The articles are only to share information based on recent developments and regulatory changes. The author is not responsible for any error or mistake or omission in this article or for any action taken or not taken based on the contents of this article. Business decisions are best taken in close consultation with the advisors. A small attempt is made to update all on Income Tax / GST. This is for guidance purposes only. No legal action against the writer or presenter can be taken. Refer to relevant provisions and facts of the case.
Tags :income tax