Filing and maintaining the info relating to your Income tax returns was never so easy. But, thanks to the Income Tax Department, they have come up with a comprehensive and more user friendly website. No need of going to a professional for filing the ITR-1. Just login to incometax indiaefiling.gov.in. They have provided a prefill form in the efile tab after logging in. But if you want to file the other ITR's u should download the Excel utility.
Apart from this they have modified the website appearance. It is now easy for even a new user to handle it. There are some special features enabled which were not available erstwhile. I have listed a few useful features:
1. Pre-Fill - Personal and Tax Information can be pre-filled in the Income Tax Return. - Login to e-Filing application - GO TO --> Downloads --> Download Pre-filled XML . Save the XML in the desired path/destination in your desktop/system. - Open the Excel utility (ITR) and click the "Pre-fill" button. - This will require you to select the path/destination where you have saved the XML and click OK. - The details will be uploaded into your utility. You may edit the tax details, if needed
2. View Status – Income Tax Return, ITR-V, Demand/Refund, Rectification - Login to e-filing application GOTO --> Services -->Refund/ Demand Status and give the details for viewing the status of your refund.
3. View e-Filed Return/Form - View the Income Tax Returns, ITR-V Acknowledgment Form and the uploaded XML for the last three assessment years. You can view these documents online anytime or save and print. GOTO -->Services --> My return/Form to see your return.
4. File Rectification - Rectify e-filed Income Tax Returns online, if required, only after completion of Income Tax Return processing by CPC of the Income Tax department. GOTO -->Services -->Rectification request
5. Refund Re-issue request - Request for refund re-issue if the Income Tax Return has been processed. If a refund is determined and it fails to reach the taxpayer then a request can be raised. GOTO -->Services -->Refund reissue request
6. e-File Defective Income Tax Return u/s 139(9) - Taxpayer can e-File Income Tax Return against the Defective Notice issued to them u/s 139 (9). GOTO -->efile --> efile in response to Notice u/s 139 (9).
7. Help - A new help tab has been introduced for general instructions and FAQs.
8. Update Address - You can update the address anytime using the profile settings tab.
9. Subscribe for mailing alerts and SMS alerts - You can subscribe to mailing alerts provided by IT using Mailing list and Alerts, reminders and Notification tab of Profile settings.
10. Grievance - You can register your complaints using the Grievance tab and see its status.
11. Tax Calculator - You can calculate the tax applicable using the tax calculator tab.
12. E-Pay tax - You can pay taxes online using the e-pay tax tab on the left side
By: Ilayaraja K T