Dear CS Aspirants,
As we all are aware that a CS student is required to complete 15 months/03 Months training with Companies, Law Firms, Consultancy firm and other organizations to get the membership of ICSI. Needless to say that good training is the backbone of successful career for any professional course. Further now the ambit of Company Secretary Profession has increased manifolds with new Companies Act, 2013. Nowadays finding good training is not easy, but with constant effort you can find good CS training as per your vision.
Through this brief write up I would like to discuss some of the basic needs and pre-requisites of CS Training as according to me only passing of ICSI Exams are not sufficient as far as your interview for CS training is concerned. Many times a question strikes the mind of a prospective CS trainee regarding the list of general and typical questions that can be asked in a 15 month training interview in a company.
According to me following points are very important to be kept in mind, for a CS students while appearing for Company Secretary Training interview:
Workout on your vision: CS Practice or Job
For a successful career as a Company Secretary it is very important to be clear about your vision and decide whether you want to be in employment or practice. If you are interested in practice then go for apprenticeship training in a CS or Law Firm or else go for Management training in a reputed company.
Company or Firm Selection:
Basic understanding about the company is must. I mean you have to be very careful while choosing your company. Focus on business of the company along with your proposed profile. There is no need to hurry…simply take your time and explore your interest. This suggestion is also applicable while choosing a CS or Law Firm for Company Secretary ship training.
At the same time of searching if firm or company, it is equally important to brush up your skills.
So keep working on your skills, knowledge and update yourself with latest amendments in law and other regulations.
Also prepare yourself for interview for the position of CS Training. It is a fact that as a fresher not much is expected from you except knowledge. But you have to prepare well and give your best shot.
Kindly observe the points mentioned below for successful interview and training:
1. As mentioned above small research about the company or firm is very much desired as nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don’t belong.
2. Get ready with a realistic Resume. According to me your resume should be simple and impressive. One more thing should be taken care of is that you should possess the requisite knowledge of all things that you have mentioned in your resume.
3. Needless to say confidence is the key. Just be confident while appearing for the interview and just be yourself and do not try to copy anyone else. Just remember in this first professional interaction of your career, your self confidence is highly important.
4. Workout on your basics as most of the questions are field based. Here I would advise you to prepare the following things for CS Trainee Interview:
1. Read the topic of incorporation of company and ROC e-forms.
2. What are the basics of MCA e-filing. For more info regarding this kindly check www.mca.gov.in
3. Maintenance of statutory records/registers in a company.
4. Basic information about General and Board meeting along with type of resolutions etc.
5. Basic information about Companies Act, 2013 including 98 sections already notified by the MCA. Lots of study material and articles are available on internet. Please go through the stuff as the same would be very useful for future understanding.
Also prepare Basic sections:
A.) Sections 163, 205, 292A, 293, 295, 297, 299, 314, 269, 309, 310, 372A
B.) Rules for issuing Share Certificate, share transfer are also very imp keeping in view the day to day working of
C.) Circular Resolution u/s 192A for General Meetings and u/s 289 for Board Meetings. Resolutions requiring unanimous approval.
D.) Listing Agreements along with basic understanding of Corporate Governance. Thorough knowledge of Listing Agreements is must for an interview in a Listed Company along with compliances like filing of Share Holding pattern, Corporate Governance Report, SEBI Declarations (SEBI Takeover and Insider Trading etc)
E.) SEBI - SAST, Delisting Rules and connected compliances and quarterly and Annual compliances.
F.) Point of difference between Companies Act, 1956 and Companies Act, 2013.
G.) Study section 185 (Loan to Director) of Companies Act, 2013 and its comparison with 295 (Loan to Director) of erstwhile Companies Act, 1956.
One more thing keep yourself updated with latest amendments and trends. Your confidence, positive attitude and ability to work as a team should be bang on target. Also prepare yourself ready to work under pressure. You know this is something I have experienced personally. So there is nothing to fear…but avoid overconfidence.
A sample resume for CS Management trainee is attached herewith for your reference and record. You may download the same and use accordingly. Well I hope the above points will help you in one way or the other…Would request you to please share your thoughts.
CS Ankur Garg
Join me on Facebook!