The GST Council in its 32nd meeting held on 10th Jan 2019, interalia, had taken following decision which is made effective from 1st April, 2019 by way of relevant notification. Copy of that notification is attached for your reference.
1) Higher Exemption Threshold Limit for Supplier of Goods: Notification No. 10/2019 - Central Tax dated 07.03.2019 exempts person from obtaining registration and payment of tax who is engaged in the exclusive supply of goods and whose aggregate turnover in the financial year does not exceed Forty lakhs rupees. This benefit will not be applicable to a persons a) required to take compulsory registration, b) persons engaged in making supplies of goods such as ice cream and other edible ice, pan masala, tobacco and manufactured tobacco substitutes c) persons engaged in making intra state supplies in the State of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Puducherry, Sikkim, Telangana, Tripura and Uttarakhand. d) persons obtaining voluntary registration under Section 25(3).
2) GSTR 3B Return System further extended till June 2019: Notification No. 13/2019 Central Tax dated 07.03.2019 specifies that the return in FORM GSTR-3B of for each of the months from April, 2019 to June, 2019, shall be furnished electronically through the common portal, on or before the twentieth day of the month succeeding such month.
3) GSTR 1 Return System further extended till June 2019: Notification No. 12/2019 Central Tax dated 07.03.2019 extends the time limit for furnishing the details of outward supplies in FORM GSTR-1 under the Central Goods and Services Tax Rules, 2017, by such class of registered persons having aggregate turnover of more than 1.5 crore rupees in the preceding financial year or the current financial year, for each of the months from April, 2019 to June, 2019 till the eleventh day of the month succeeding such month.
Further, notification No. 11/2019 Central Tax dated 07.03.2019 hereby notifies the registered persons having aggregate turnover of up to 1.5 crore rupees in the preceding financial year or the current financial year shall furnish the details of outward supply of goods or services or both in FORM GSTR-1 effected during quarter April-June 2019 till 31st July, 2019
4) Increase in Turnover Limit for Existing Composition Scheme: As per notification no. 14/2019 Central Tax 07.03.2019 an eligible registered person whose aggregate turnover in the preceding financial year did not exceed Rs. 1.50 crore may opt to pay tax under composition levy. In case of states that is Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura and Uttarakhand the turnover limit is 75 lakhs for opting composition levy for the eligible registered person. Further, the registered person shall not be eligible to opt for composition levy under sub-section (1) of section 10 of the said Act if such person is a manufacturer of the goods that is ice cream and other edible ice, pan masala, tobacco and manufactured tobacco substitutes.
5) Composition Scheme for Services and Mix Supplies: Notification no. 2/2019 Central Tax (Rate) dated 07.03.2019 has made available composition scheme for suppliers of services (or Mix suppliers) with a rate of 6% (3% CGST and 3% SGST) having first supplies of goods or services or both upto an aggregate turnover of fifty lakh rupees made on or after the 1st day of April in any financial year, by a registered person. This befit shall not be available to persons engaged in making the interstate outward supply.
For the purposes of this notification, the expression “first supplies of goods or services or both” shall, for the purposes of determining eligibility of a person to pay tax under this notification, include the supplies from the first day of April of a financial year to the date from which he becomes liable for registration under the said Act but for the purpose of determination of tax payable under this notification shall not include the supplies from the first day of April of a financial year to the date from which he becomes liable for registration under the Act.
The author can also be reached at email@example.com