In GST we have provisions for filing returns in Form GSTR-1, GSTR-2 and GSTR-3 for all normal tax payers on a monthly basis.
GSTR1 - For Outward Supplies
GSTR 2 - For Inward Supplies
GSTR 3 -This Form shall be electronically generated on the basis of information furnished through FORM GSTR-1, GSTR-2 and any liability towards tax, interest, penalty, fees or any other amount payable under the Act or rules has to be discharged before submitting this return.
Since GST is a new law and tax preparedness is not upto the mark government extended the filing of GSTR1 and GSTR 2 for the month of July and August to September 5th and September 20th respectively.
However as per GST Return Rules, whenever govt extends time for filing GSTR1 and GSTR 2 taxpayers are required to file a return in FORM GSTR-3B in such manner as may be notified. Hence govt has notified that this form has to be filed before 20th Aug for the month of July and 20th Sept for the month of August.
GSTR 3B is fairly a simple form in which tax payers are required to give a summary of:
- Value of outward supplies and tax paid including supplies subject to reverse charge
- Input Tax Credit availed, Reversal and Ineligible ITC
- Value of exempt, nil rated and non-GST inward supplies
- Payment of Tax through ITC available and by cash payment.
Questions & Answers
1. I am a dealer who opted composition scheme, do I need to file GSTR 3B?
Ans: Composition dealers are not required to file this return as they are required to file only quarterly return in Form GSTR 4 and not GSTR 1&GSTR 2
2. Whether any revision to this return after submission is possible?
Ans: No, We cannot make amendments to this GSTR 3B return however you can make amendment through GSTR1 and GSTR 2 for the respective months and you will be required to pay interest on the outstanding liability.
3. Whether am I eligible to take transitional credit available on my stock in hand?
Ans: No, transitional credit on stock would not be available since the Form GSTR TRAN-01&02 has not yet notified and GSTR 3B is a simple return in which a summary of inward and outward supplies are given.
4. I haven’t effected any taxable supplies during the month, do I need to file this return?
Ans: Yes, Even if you have not made any taxable supplies during the month you are required to file a NIL return.
5. Can I claim refund through this return?
Ans: No, You cannot claim any refund through this return
6. If my Input tax is more than my output tax, Can I carry forward this excess credit to next month?
Ans: Yes, If Input tax is more than your output tax liability, then balance input tax would be available on your electronic credit ledger which you can set off against you future output tax liability.
7. Since I already filed the return in Form GSTR 3B for the month of July &August, Do I need to file GSTR 1, GSTR 2 and GSTR 3 for the month of July and August?
Ans: Yes, you are required file GSTR 1, 2 & 3 for the month of July and August within the due date notified by the government irrespective of the fact that you have filed GSTR 3B because GSTR 3B is an additional compliance to the taxpayer due to the extension of filing dates of Form GSTR 1 and GSTR 2.
8. Do I need to file GSTR 3B in all months?
Ans: No, you are required file GSTR 3B only for the month of July and August provided government does not extend the due date for filing GSTR 1 and GSTR 2 in the subsequent months.
All the best for your first GST compliance.