BLACKBERRY AS A TOOL
I found a marked difference in my life after usage of blackberry for last five years.
IN ONE LINE WHAT IS THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE?
YOU CAN CHECK EMAILS IN SMALL SLOTS OR FRACTION OF MINUTES, OF UNPRODUCTIVE TIME DURING THE DAY AND HENCE POST USAGE OF BB YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPEND SEPARATE TIME FOR GOING THRU EMAILS, NOR NEED A SECRETARY.
Let us first talk about blackberry in spirit – let it be reliance or airtel or Vodafone or even Nokia providing same functions or latest aircel. It is a common professional’s internet. In fact, somewhere I have read that 85% of computer usage time, is spent on internet and 85% of that time is spent on email/chat in India.
First of all let us understand what functions are available in a blackberry?
1. Voice calls as a mobile 2. SMS – forward in any mode 3. MMS 4. Email like gmail, hotmail, yahoomail, rediffmail 5. Orkut, Facebook, linkedin, etc. 6. Office email a/c. 7. Map 8. GPRS 9. GPS 10. Alarm 11, Calendar 12. TO 1)0 list – tasks 13. Internet 14. Call list 15. Unlimited address book 16. Camera 17. MP3 18. FM 19. Blue tooth 20. Vibrator 21. Memo pad 22. Voice recorder 23. Speakerphone 24. Teleconference 25. Calculator 26. Games 27. Voice dialing 28. Roaming 29. Yahoo messenger 30. Google talk 31. Windows live messenger 32. Big storage capacity 33. Wi-fi 34. World date/time 35. Yahoo search 36. Scheduler 37. USB port – BB to LCD connections 38. CNBC 39. Battery backup upto 30 days 40. Bowling
1. Excel worksheets cannot be prepared.
2. Attachment reading is a pain – for excel, tables in word or memo
3. Replication of sent emails not available
4. You mix up personal and official life. Beware of wife (which normally executives are) However, frankly one can reach home earlpith BB used effectively and can get even leave at critical times as well, since one can function as effectively.
5. Search function on emails needs major improvements.
6. Small fonts a bother for eyes
7. Ensure to have scratch guard fixed alongwith to ensure long life
8. Purely for voice use, BB becomes bulkier than cell (hope it comes in a hand-watch form)
9. Storage of emails is possible for a month around only.
DO AWAY WITH
1. Laptop (Get rid of) Attachment to LCD projector directly possible. No need to carry laptop (nor even pendrive), nor organiser of seminar/trainings/ meetings need to arrange laptop or desktop. Especially for decision-makers, whose prime need is speed and are getting summaries in body of email for decision-making parameters and choices. And they themselves are not required to prepare excel attachments or large word attachments or PowerPoint
2. Pen drive (do away pen drive, CD/DVD – copying, not working, getting corrupted)
Do not carry since BB can be attached to LCD projector directly.
3. Mobile (combined with BB) of course, everybody knows BB is used for voice
4. Enquiring people about address (stop losing way & unproductive time of enquiries) Use GPS function and search the place. e.g. Your exam centre is in sydneham and you have never been to south Mumbai. No need to ask. Your interview is at DAKC Reliance communications – Just walk with GPS directions. Save time and petrol.
5. Search hotels by asking people Hungry and cannot find food place. Search hotel thru GPRS maps
6. PEN for ‘smiting – recording (do away pen – keeping, missing, borrowing, losing, lending) Somebody calls up and you do not have a pen and paper. Simply ts,,pe in memo pad as per need.
7. Paper for writing (do away dairies – keeping, searching & losing) Somebody gives address, simply type in address book
8. Make calls to different people for same thing Do teleconference for 1 plus 9 people at a time.
9. Lack of Transparency A talks about B and B about A, take them on spot conference, to remove bureaucracy.
10. Speak-o-phone A calls you. You have to tell later same thing to B who is geographically seats next table. Simply hold on speak-o-phone with A’s permission and call B to hear directly.
11. Visiting card Do not print visiting cards. Simply forward E-Card. Save on stationery costs.
12. Meeting invitation Same lotus notes function, use thru blackberry, ensures invite to all.
13. Receive meeting invites Ensure to receive invites, conflicts, cancellations in time
14. Ensure long SMS It is as if sending and receiving long SMS, at limited fixed costs. In fact, SMS will become redundant when BB spreads a lot.
15. Watch No need to wear, just carry BB (hope soon BBs come out with belts for hand-wear – Respected Anil Ambaniji and Sunil Mitt* – This is an appeal to you please. This will also ensure when females are required to keep in big purses during commute and unable to receive calls)
16. Remind meet or action with alarm Keep as many for all meetings
17. DIALLING not needed – thni voice-dialling (use mouth than fingers, my surati friends would adore it as they must use mouth every time for talking or eating. I am one among them anyway) Presently you need American ascent, to dial a call just by speaking a name. But soon with our BB revolution it will be Hincli and Hindavi dream come true (again let us appeal respected ADA and SM).
By Rammohan N. Bhave, Limca record holder on IFRS, CA, CMA, CS, LL. B. (G). Dip IFRS London, Certified IFRS, ICAI and Six Sigma Green Belt
To signup for an IFRS course by Ram Mohan Bhave click here.