Vidhyashankar's Book shelf

Vidhyashankar (CA) (1292 Points)

03 July 2009  

Hi students,

Many have asked me to give a list of books I read.While this is practically not possible, given the volume of books I have read, am reading and would read, I intend to create a thread here in this forum space where I post every now and then some book(s) I found interesting with small comments below it(I dont have time to sit and pen book reviews for each book, so just small blurbs beneath each book).

This has no connection with CA syllabus and I urge you to read these books in your free time, if you happen to choose, and in no way waste your precious CA study time.These books are in no way recommendations but merely what I have read or currently reading.

This is a "Live" thread and I will updating it now and then with new posts in this thread, so watch out every week.

I will start this week with Speed-reading.

My topics for books might go from what is needed for students to absolutely quacky topics like "Taoism" or "How to solve Su-do-ku easily" or "Cliff-climbing made easy", so bear with me.NO HOLDS BARRED here.

I will see to it that I do not post any erotic  or sensational books(even if it is "self-help books" like "Modern Kamasutra" or the like) I have read.That I leave it to your better discretion and judgement.

ALSO, PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME WHERE TO PROCURE SUCH BOOKS.

Try: Online sites like Amazon.com or Barnesand Nobles.com

Or try decent bookshops

or Try secondhand bookshops

or Streetpavement bookshops.

(I got the best deals for books in the last two categories and also the usedbooks section of amazon.com)

So lets start! Happy reading!

P.S(Also, if there are any useless or abusive comments, I would approach the admin as before and such comments would be removed promptly.Do not waste anyone's time here)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed reading books:

Photoreading 4th Edition

Nice book but not all can get a hang of it, it requires lot of practice.Nice read though.

This is one good book for those who hate photo-reading and find it dubious.

This has good info on eye exercises,drills on 2 stop reading,etc.Very useful book.

Remember Everything You Read: The Evelyn Wood 7-Day Speed Reading & Learning Program

The subtitle more accurately describes this book's contents. Frank offers in book form what has been available in courses and in computer software under the Evelyn Wood name. The techniques cater to secondary and college students who are professionally oriented. Chapter headings like "Supersonic Writing" deliver techniques based on research. This manual, used as a study guide, can help students, parents, and teachers to be aware of their own knowledge and to monitor their learning for understanding.

Speed Reading for Professionals (Barron's Business Success Guides)

This book is for us.

Super Memory - Super Student: How to Raise Your Grades in 30 Days

Harry Loraine.Touchwood! Yes, this book is good provided one follows what he says in it.He has some nice methods for speed-read it in.

Breakthrough Rapid Reading

This is the new book on the block and some swear by it.Breakthrough Rapid Reading makes conquering information overload a reality. So whether it's cutting down on that backlog of business reports and technical matter or scaling that mountain of newspapers and leisure reading, getting up to speed is only a matter of time and practice.Its good.I had "speed-read" this book and found it to be useful and later I went slowly through the content and the methods described.