Avail 20% discount on updated CA lectures for Dec 21 .Use Code RESULT20 !! Call : 088803-20003

ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vidhyashankar (CA)     03 July 2009

Vidhyashankar's Book shelf

Hi students,

Many have asked me to give a list of books I read.While this is practically not possible, given the volume of books I have read, am reading and would read, I intend to create a thread here in this forum space where I post every now and then some book(s) I found interesting with small comments below it(I dont have time to sit and pen book reviews for each book, so just small blurbs beneath each book).

This has no connection with CA syllabus and I urge you to read these books in your free time, if you happen to choose, and in no way waste your precious CA study time.These books are in no way recommendations but merely what I have read or currently reading.

This is a "Live" thread and I will updating it now and then with new posts in this thread, so watch out every week.

I will start this week with Speed-reading.

My topics for books might go from what is needed for students to absolutely quacky topics like "Taoism" or "How to solve Su-do-ku easily" or "Cliff-climbing made easy", so bear with me.NO HOLDS BARRED here.

I will see to it that I do not post any erotic  or sensational books(even if it is "self-help books" like "Modern Kamasutra" or the like) I have read.That I leave it to your better discretion and judgement.

ALSO, PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME WHERE TO PROCURE SUCH BOOKS.

Try: Online sites like Amazon.com or Barnesand Nobles.com

Or try decent bookshops

or Try secondhand bookshops

or Streetpavement bookshops.

(I got the best deals for books in the last two categories and also the usedbooks section of amazon.com)

So lets start! Happy reading!

P.S(Also, if there are any useless or abusive comments, I would approach the admin as before and such comments would be removed promptly.Do not waste anyone's time here)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed reading books:

Photoreading 4th Edition

Nice book but not all can get a hang of it, it requires lot of practice.Nice read though.

This is one good book for those who hate photo-reading and find it dubious.

This has good info on eye exercises,drills on 2 stop reading,etc.Very useful book.

Remember Everything You Read: The Evelyn Wood 7-Day Speed Reading & Learning Program

The subtitle more accurately describes this book's contents. Frank offers in book form what has been available in courses and in computer software under the Evelyn Wood name. The techniques cater to secondary and college students who are professionally oriented. Chapter headings like "Supersonic Writing" deliver techniques based on research. This manual, used as a study guide, can help students, parents, and teachers to be aware of their own knowledge and to monitor their learning for understanding.

Speed Reading for Professionals (Barron's Business Success Guides)

This book is for us.

Super Memory - Super Student: How to Raise Your Grades in 30 Days

Harry Loraine.Touchwood! Yes, this book is good provided one follows what he says in it.He has some nice methods for speed-read it in.

Breakthrough Rapid Reading

This is the new book on the block and some swear by it.Breakthrough Rapid Reading makes conquering information overload a reality. So whether it's cutting down on that backlog of business reports and technical matter or scaling that mountain of newspapers and leisure reading, getting up to speed is only a matter of time and practice.Its good.I had "speed-read" this book and found it to be useful and later I went slowly through the content and the methods described.

35 Replies

dasapra

dasapra (stew)     03 July 2009

this is public forum so i think i can tell my opinion

these above books are utter waste

Vidhyashankar

Originally posted by :dasapra
" this is public forum so i think i can tell my opinion
these above books are utter waste
"

Ofcourse, you have every right to tell your opinion(but use it properly).I have just listed what I have read and these are not recommendations for anyone to follow.Also, if you can please adduce your reasonings as to why "these above books are utter waste" it would be wonderful in dissuading students from not buying these books mentioned, else you would be construed as one 'hell-of-a-frustrated-reader".And for heaven's sake don't bring in readers' comments from amazon or the like.I can identify such reviews easily, just base the whole thing on your reading experience of the books.

I'M SURE, you would not have in all probability read all these books for anyone who has read all these would selectively say...such and such a book is good and such and such a book is bad and waste of time.So, do not give such stray and vague statements and risk a backlash from serious students.Be specific dude!

To me, there is no good or bad book.It all depends on the reader and how well he or she absorbs.Every book has one or two usable ideas in the least.I take those usable ideas and trash the rest.However usability is sometimes subjective.

1 Like
Vidhyashankar

My Days RK Narayanan

Two books before I sign-off for the day.The day had been really taxing with lot of pending official work only CAClub provided me some entertainment, I should say.I got to beat the stress by sleeping fitfully and walking the treadmill tommorow.Oflate been working into late nights and even early mornings!

Recently I finished this book while in Chennai.I have been a lover of RK Narayanan for hsi down-to-earth style and themes of commonman(lateron his style was adopted in crass/ vulgar manner by Aravind Adiga and the ilk, who even get Booker prizes for the garbage they pen.Atleast Aravind Adiga's style is very good and it touch one's heart and you keep getting the events again and again in your mind but some others are plain no good!)

Shashi Tharoor

One Congress snobbish politician,Shashi Tharoor(who is from Nair community  yet was not accepted by local Nair communities and organizations when they went to him for help for local issues in Kerala for his snobbish behaviour with them and got the dubious recent title given by them as "Nair who is not really a Nair") had very abusively undermined the ability of RKNarayan and the comments were really out of sheer jealousy and a feeling that graduating from Stephen's College Delhi automatically qualifies him to become an intellectual of sorts! Ha!

This book "My Days" is the only memoir(more of it than a wholesome autobiography) yet it makes for some interesting reading.I grew up watching Malgudi Days as a kid and so it touched my heart once more nostalgically.

P.S.: Im an apolitical animal, so please do not construe me as against Congress because of this Shashi guy!

{{Between P.S. means here: Politically correct statement (coming from an apolitical guy)..Hmm, then it should be PCS, I guess but then you would be wondering what the heck P.C.S would mean, so just kept it P.S(Post scriptt)}}

---------

The Art of Japanese Foot Massageauthor: Mochizuki

I got this book from a secondhand bookshop here for a whistle!($3.50)

This is the popular edition of Zoku Shin Do : The Art of East Asian Foot Reflexology Book One : Japanese Foot Massage.

Since Im an accupressure enthusiast, I found this book immensely useful to relieve my ached legs and feet and also improve my energy levels.

Thats all for now guys!

1 Like
Nishant chauhan

Nishant chauhan (student(FINAL))     03 July 2009

hi...i do want to read a book on this topic(speed reading)...but how do i know which one is going to be the best for me..

Vidhyashankar

Originally posted by :Nishant
" hi...i do want to read a book on this topic(speed reading)...but how do i know which one is going to be the best for me.. "

simple: browse through a bit and skim-read(flipping thru pages fast) and see if it appeals your taste and then buy the book.You gotta make a start somewhere! I normally skim-check first 10 pages, then middle 10 pages and last 10 pages fast.If all the three are interesting, I go ahead and buy the book.99/100 cases, Im not disappointed with the result.

Lakshmikant

Lakshmikant (CA pcc student)     03 July 2009

thanx for sharing

Arpita

Arpita (CA)     04 July 2009

Sir, please don't mind, but in one article you said that you are from low middle class family.

I want to ask a very simple question-Do you really think even after so much study you have justified yourself.

What I mean to say is that your father is a govt servant. Then also you wasted/invested his money on going abroad & on doing CPA (although you are already a CA). As per your articles you have taken coachings of almost all subjects-Herealso again I want to ask you why don't you opt for self study at that moment inspite of wasting/investing money of your poor father.

Further, you said that you are still studying to you are in late twenties....doing some part time course of MBA.

I want to ask you whether you have truly justified with your poor father in wasting/investing his money in so many degrees, you could have earned same amount of money even if you would have been just CA. In terms of qualification also you have just added your degrees not knowledge by doing these courses, because all courses provides almost same knowledge & have approx same course as CA.

I don't know how much you earn right now but before thinking about your earning i would think about the expenditure you have done till yet and other expense like living in other country, etc. you have doing right now.

Lastly I must not say but people like you first do brain drain to our own country and then preaches others about everything.

2 Like
Vidhyashankar

Vidhyashankar (CA)     04 July 2009

Originally posted by :Arpita
" Sir, please don't mind, but in one article you said that you are from low middle class family.
I want to ask a very simple question-Do you really think even after so much study you have justified yourself.
What I mean to say is that your father is a govt servant. Then also you wasted/invested his money on going abroad & on doing CPA (although you are already a CA). As per your articles you have taken coachings of almost all subjects-Herealso again I want to ask you why don't you opt for self study at that moment inspite of wasting/investing money of your poor father.
Further, you said that you are still studying to you are in late twenties....doing some part time course of MBA.

I want to ask you whether you have truly justified with your poor father in wasting/investing his money in so many degrees, you could have earned same amount of money even if you would have been just CA. In terms of qualification also you have just added your degrees not knowledge by doing these courses, because all courses provides almost same knowledge & have approx same course as CA.

I don't know how much you earn right now but before thinking about your earning i would think about the expenditure you have done till yet and other expense like living in other country, etc. you have doing right now.
Lastly I must not say but people like you first do brain drain to our own country and then preaches others about everything.
"

This posting bespeaks again of  envy/jealousy albeit laced with humble words.People simply cannot take brilliance of any sort and unless one appreciates the best in all one cannot proceed further in life.This is my advice to you, humbly, Arpita.

1. My family condition is known only to me and my kith and kin not you.It is true that my father was a govt servant and we hailed from a low middle class family at the time of my doing CA.Do you think we would be doomed thus for eternity? What made you think so?

2. How do you know I "wasted/invested" his money to go abroad? If you are uncomfortable with the fact that one can even pass CA and then go for an MBA and then finish CPA in USA, then it bepseaks again of envy and jealousy, which needs correction.I think I do not need to explain to you how I went abroad and what makes you think, I spent his money for my education? There  are words called "Scholarship","Graduate assistantship","help from friends and other relatives","on-campus jobs",bursaries",etc which are given to meritorious students IMHO you might not have heard about them.Yes, you might not have heard about all this as you are prone to think "how the heck can someone be successful despite coming from a lower strata--it simply is crazy" than working out your own destiny.True, very true.

3. How can you, of all people, speak for me that I have not added both knowledge and qualifications? Do you think one who has a higher number of qualifications,meritorious,well placed,earning very well,helpful to others,etc cannot have knowledge? Infact, the odds would favour him/her I suppose.Without knowledge, pray tell me how i can even speak in the forum or gain and retain my job.On the contraray by such words, you have betrayed your ignorance and stereotypical mass thinking here.Im prepared to resign my job here in USA with a top company if you are willing to hire me and gift me that wisdom and knowledge as to how to succeed in this life and lead a happy life with maybe passing just CA after many attempts of failure and staying with you in a rut-mindedness.Hell no! I was just joking here! I wont even take that job even if you pay me million dollars per minute(LOOK! Haven't I displayed some wisdom  and knowledge here?)

4. Also, your logic has taken a goodbye from your brain when you say ALMOST all courses give the same knowledge as CA.Is that so? Then pray tell me why people are doing CWA,CS or MBA? My MBA in Stern School in USA is same as per your rating with Indian CA and not a bit different.Where Indian CA is more to do with Indian scenario, The MBA in Stern School would give me the same direct taxes,indirect taxes,etc knowledge. Wow! you are some specimen! The same goes with CFP and other qualifications.Try saying this to someone who is doing CS or CWA simultaneously and they wont even deem you competent or their level to give a reply back.Im patiently giving this reply back to portray some common myths in student's minds.You being a classic specimen.This bespeaks of your naiviete, your lethargy and your rut-thinking.I humbly submit this at your holy feet.

5. I beg you to leave the epxenditure part to me and you think that a person who types all this for the benefit of students,who helps others in the memory of his friend,who does not forget his mother's words, would go ahead and torture his living father, who has been well provided for by this fellow who is typing behind this name Vidhyashankar, with all sorts of comforts and has also been pleaded many times to come to USA but he prefers to stay in India.Mind you, I have not taken a single penny from him after my CA and BCom, whether you want to believe it or not.

6. "Brain-drain" is better than "drain-of-the-brain".The later being represented by people like you.Just because you are a girl or a male student coming in a girl's ID, I really dont care.I call a spade a spade.What do you know about me, about my contributions,etc. Before speaking further,please tell me your most obliging contributions to this caclubindia.com how many students' lives have you touched, how many people have you helped, apart from getting jealousto the core and passing these self-righteous "patriotic" comments.With people like you in India and getting my "brain-in-the-drain", I thought let me maintainmy sanity and stay out and help India.I can learn manythings synergistically from other countries where I visit,share it with my receiving and openminded Indian brothers and sisters than waste my time parading my ego or defending egoistic arrows with my shield of words from loser-mentality people like you.Pray tell me is this wrong? I guess even our father of the nation Shri Mahathma Gandhiji was a Bar-at-law from UK,then worked in Natal province in SouthAfrica, was influenced by Leo Tolstoy(a white russian) and others into sathyagraha movement and did something for the nation and was finally killed by an Indian(not a white man). The samething with other greats of our nation.Say these dialogues to ambedkar who came from the lowest of low strata, a Mahar, and went abroad for education and raised the consciousness of Dalits and upheld their dignity and fought for their cause.

Ask first these greats of nation, who came fromthe lowest of low strata and how they went abroad and how they did education? Whether they sqeezed their father and mother's blood or whether they worked their way up and gained knowledge.

If you have something to talk, talk, do not talk for the sake of talking or trying to dole your two cents and show up your insecurities and incapacities here.If there is any issue with me PM me. Do not bring personal things about my life here and try to act smart.This is my piece of advice, which I humbly submit at your feet.

Goodday Madam!

p.s. I had no need to reply to such comments but incase you really are a woman, you are going to be the mother,most probably, tommorow of a child who would be an Indian and if you raise him or her with such attitudes, our country cannot progress an inch further and whether I have justified myself or not only god should tell.I do what my conscience and divine consciousness in me tell as the right thing to do.

2 Like
shaju

shaju (accountant)     04 July 2009

hi vidyasankar

nice works.........good to read your artcles...... curious to know whether you read the upanishads?

ANANDA VAIDYANATHAN

ANANDA VAIDYANATHAN (ACA)     04 July 2009

hello vidya shankar ji,

Very useful  contributions. keep it up and carry on. never  mind the critics. when u will be back to india? Do you have any plans here.

(Guest)

To Arpita,

I am really shocked to hear such a rubbish thoughts of yours.

U don't have any right to comment about someone's personal life, unless & until u know him/her personally. Even if u dare, then do it on a personal level & not publicly.

Your mind set does not seem to be of an educated girl on the first look. U sound like a typical illiterate person who cant think out of the box. As an educated girl, it becomes your responsibility to motivate people……. (this is the least u can do) about higher level of education. Instead, u seem to discourage them.

I was under the impression that an educated woman always think of educating their children & others(Mulgi shikli pragati zali)...Sometimes, a father may sacrifice for eduacation of  their children due to personal or financial consrtaints but a mother would always think of their children first...but sorry to say u proved me wrong.

Please try to come out of the box because the world is very  beautiful & u need to have an open mind & beautiful  heart to love it.

Wish u all the best for ur future..

sivaram

sivaram (Asst Mgr-Taxation)     04 July 2009

can u post articles on SAP since you are FICO Certified.Everyone will be benefitted .Your Next Article/Project Should be on SAP but Step by Step please.Awaiting Your Reply on this request

Vidhyashankar

Originally posted by :shaju
" hi vidyasankar
nice works.........good to read your artcles...... curious to know whether you read the upanishads?
"

Yes, I have read in detail certain Upanishads like Sweteshwara Upanishad,Isavaashya Upanishad and a book called 108 major Upanishads.

Upanishads contain the gist of the Vedas and are highly scientific too.My father joined me for Sanskrit classes with a local mutt, so that I be brought up as a proper Hindu with some knowledge of Sanskrit.During the course of it, I also learnt a few sukthas and veda mantras.

Im in love with Advaita Vedanta as explained by Adi Shankara.I have read Shankara Dig Vijayam, his exegises on Upanishads,and commentaries on Katha and Bruhadaaranyaka Upanishad.My father however had a sentiment like many Nambudiri brahmins that Aranyaka kandas and related Upanishads should not be kept at home and must be learnt in either a "forest" or "Gurukula".So, I had to sit in an Oriental library and read those texts.

However, reading is onething,but the real Upanishadic sense lies in absorbing it,meditating,contemplating the truths in an experiential manner and cultivating the truths in daily life.Else once becomes a "Pinjara shuka"(parrot in a cage reciting mantras) as AdiShankara puts it.

Vidhyashankar

Originally posted by :sivaram
" can u post articles on SAP since you are FICO Certified.Everyone will be benefitted .Your Next Article/Project Should be on SAP but Step by Step please.Awaiting Your Reply on this request "

Please see articles posted in the Career section-ERP.I have given a couple of posts,including a book list for SAP FI/CO.I will dealing with it there.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion

Popular Discussion

view more »

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags