Easy Office
LCI Learning

Teamwork-must read.....

Page no : 2

rahul (Chartered Accountant) (5570 Points)
Replied 06 April 2012

Awesome read. Thanks s lot and keep sharing.

Jaiveer Singh Rawat (Learner) (130 Points)
Replied 06 April 2012

Gr8 slid sow sanjay sir........really a funny one but very inspiring.......Thats really a gr8 story i can share with my colleagues & in the business meetings as well.

Thanks a lot 4 sharing this story wid us sir ji......

Have a gr8 day & please keep sharing....!!!!!!

1 Like

Padmavathi (Studying C.A-Final) (132 Points)
Replied 06 April 2012

Nice story .....   funny as well as informative one. And your PPT also good.

Sourav Banerjee MA,MSW (Shabda Bramha) (8842 Points)
Replied 06 April 2012

Good Morning, Dear Sanjay Ji.

Last-in-First-out : Do you really think i am 'SLOW' & 'STEADY'  smileyYes, you are. But you are Fast and Accurate too. And both the combinations are virtues not vices. None of the two genres is PURE and a person as competent as you are would certainly have in you the two in RIGHT PROPORTION.

The main problem, with these attributes as with many abstract ideas, is objectivity. Please consider :

" we the CA/CS/CMA's associate ourself as fast and accurate not only in decision making process but also in doing compliance part.

Here fast does not mean that doing work with breathtaking speed. It means doing work timely and efficiently. Speed will differ from person to person, but as you very well know organization will prefer the persons who are 'RELATIVELY' fast and accurate "

No doubt, in this era of speed every professional from all walks of profession, having high ambition is willing to put in that little extra effort that may help them move up the ladder in respective organisational hierarchy. And needless to say, a worker, with his/her competitors breathing right at the neck, would try to accomplish the job entrusted to him/her as speedily as possible, maintaining 100% accuracy all the time. But, here arises some doubts :

1. Is it possible for a person to do this for say, 30 - 35 years? If s/he ever makes a mistake or two, will s/he be given a break from the present job and the person standing next in line to him be posted in his/her place? If yes, then Fast does mean Breath-taking speed and Accuracy means nothing less than 100%. Recent sacking of 42 Executives of a World-renowned company may be a case in point. One of the reasons for this, I think, is availability of easy replacement. Replacement and development don't go hand in hand, that's why some Management Gurus has questioned the viability of the words Human Resource Development – of course the scenario is not the same in all the sectors of the job market but for a long time I have seen how Human Resources have been MANAGED instead of being DEVELOPED.

2. I am convinced that you are absolutely right in saying - Speed will differ from person to person . It can't be truer. It’s a RELATIVE concept. That's why, it all depends on the Boss. And we have to match our speed with the expectation of the boss. Change the boss, change your speed. That's the problem of subjectivity. You may say that we have to rely on our boss's prudence and in his ability to make the right decision. Yes, that's the only way out as it appears – dancing to the tune played by the authority – more often than not. Can a person who is eager to move up the corporate or non-corporate ladder frequently disagree with his/her boss ( Let us consider that such situation arises in some cases) and still think that his/her Fast and Accurate traits will be given due recognition by the same boss? Hence, there is a need to match the pace and expectation of the authority.

Creative work does not mean that looks unique or artistic. We create something that did not hitherto exist. And “ the best fruits of creation are produced  in the moments of leisure “ – where leisure means mental calmness coupled with eagerness  and not mental idleness. If anything can be routinely done, it is not creative by the very definition of the word “creative”.

“Further if a person is fast at something it does not meant that his chances of makinhg mistake will increase. But if a person is slow by nature and tries to react or do work fast he will make mistake.”

What will happen if the Fast person is forced to act slowly? Will his accuracy not suffer? None is born truly Fast or truly Slow, each one of us have both of these qualities – the degree may vary. But if a person is motivated towards his/her job he will adapt himself/herself to the situation. Now, whether the person will be given time ( this too is relative ) by the authority, is another question.

To gel different people with different qualities ask for the presence of a good leader, like Clive Lloyd did with the West Indian Cricket team of the late 70’s and early 80’s. Or if there is a common goal – to achieve something like a better career – both can stay together. But it’s a forceful coexistence and not a free choice – a virtue out of necessity.

Lastly, a bit off the track but not completely out of it, don’t you think that not only many ambitious Indian youth but also their Global contemporaries are suffering from frustration, depression, shattered family life and other such problems because their life is so exclusively dictated by a search for Fast and Accurate way of accomplishing set goals?

4 Like

Resham (Carpe Diem !!!) (6535 Points)
Replied 06 April 2012

Time to pour my views on the same topic. Setting aside the Effiiciency point of view much discussed by all who replied... I would rather discuss about the organisational behaviour of individuals based on what I have perceived through this something more than a year of Articleship.

As seen in the slide-show, the Rabbit and Tortoise decide to bank on their core competencies to achieve maximum. I am reminded of Absolute and Comaparative cost advantage theory of International trade by Adam Smith and David Ricardo respectively. While Adam Smith believed that only one country can be better-off from international trade David Ricardo, with the help of his Comparative Advantage theory suceeded in showing that Both the countries can be better off by international trade.

Though these two concepts are way too different to be compared or even commented upon by taking them as the same basis, I rather see some sort of similarity in these two. If the individuals in an organisation stop being way too selfish to let the other person also gain a situation will surely arise where all are better off. just the difference being that some will be gaining more and some a bit less. that is, comparative advantage.

Giving it a more practical view; consider a situation where A is enthrusted with a job. While A knows 78% of the work he lacks in 22% area of work. B, who is a bit new to organisation knows 15% of that remaining 22% which A doesn't know.

Here A has two options. Do the part of 78% that he knows and leave the rest for the boss to do

OR

Take in B also so that B may gain from that 78% knowledge and gets to apply his own 15% and A gains from the 15% knowledge of B. the remaming 7% can be done by consulting other employees and taking tits and bits of help from others.

If A goes for option 2, all will be better off though some making more gains than others. But most Importantly - All will Gain!!! (not to forget the boss too will be happy) devil

4 Like

CMA. CS. Sanjay Gupta ("PROUD TO BE AN INDIAN")   (114215 Points)
Replied 06 April 2012

Sourav Da please appreciate that looking for purest form in not the point here. Then, if that the case in fable Cheetah would have been selected in place of hare. Here the point of discussion is that in a corporate culture we may have a Fast & Accurate and a Slow & Steady employee and how both of them can be utilized to deliver the best for their organization, as a team. It is not a disrespect for the slow and steady as we saw with tortoise that though slow he had the quality of swimming across the river which the fast hare did not have. You raised a point that can the fast and accurate nature be maintained over 30-35 years and if not shall should they be given a break. Answer is no by that time they have the experience which will be required to groom the fast and accurate younger ones. It is the mix of youth and experience what is required.

“Fast does mean Breath-taking speed and Accuracy means nothing less than 100%”.

I don’t think so. If I want to reach home fast and have only two options either to walk or use my cycle, I will use cycle. Can not wait or hope for the purest mean of fast transport say taxi or bus to reach home.

The best explanation I think is already given with a beautiful example by ‘Resham’. When I received this reply in my mail, I read it and I knew it was posted by Resham, as that is the kind of reply that can only be expected from her.

About the news of sacking of 42 executives, I have no idea and this presentation I think is not conveying any idea to sack the slow and steady peoples. The presentation only aim to get the best out of both type of employees. As each of them has some core competency.

About not being born fast or slow. It does not hold true to tortoise and hare…As the are born slow and fast respectively…..hahahahaha. Yes human are not fast or slow by birth. But dear Sourav da no two person can be same. And that’s the matter under consideration and not the speed (Slow or Fast) from birth.

Usain Bolt has this core competency of running fast, even if motivated I can not run like Usain Bolt. We have to respect the core competency of every individual. And sometime to do a certain job we also need the help of core competency of other peoples. That’s why teamwork is important.

The main concept over here is that of teamwork. But you have considered this post sans teamwork. Comparing individually the fast or slow people, that to in purest form. Sourav da aaj ki duniya mai pure kuch bhi nahi hai…..So purest form dhundhna band karo…hahahahha.

And don’t worry sourav da youth is not suffering from search for fast and accurate ones as you also need slow and steady guys also in your team. But yes with more and more quality personnel one have to develop some core competency for which any organization will hire that person.

But any ways nice debate Sourav da, without any debatable issue….hahahaha

2 Like

Manikanta.A (Sr.Accounts Officer) (35 Points)
Replied 07 April 2012

Dear Sanjay ji,

Thank you so much for sharing such an inspirational story.....

every one who reads this story will definetly revise themself .....!

yes

1 Like

Replied 07 April 2012

Originally posted by : Manikanta.A

Dear Sanjay ji,

Thank you so much for sharing such an inspirational story.....

every one who reads this story will definetly revise themself .....!

That is what required. If you are slow and steady then try to develop some core competency. If you are fast and accurate dont relax try to utilize your strength. But at times both will need each others help so work as a team. 

This story says---

On some route you may succeed alone but on difficult and touher routes you will have to help each other not only to attain your peronal goals but also organizational goals.

Sourav Banerjee MA,MSW (Shabda Bramha) (8842 Points)
Replied 07 April 2012

Good morning, Dear Sanjay Ji.

Thank you very much for participating in the non-existent debate through brevity of thought and comparative analysis.

Have a great weekend ahead.

1 Like

Replied 07 April 2012

Good Morning & Thank You Sourav Da....

But this debate also gave an oppurtunity to explain the presentation in details. Let us wish the future of Corporates in India is along the lines and morals depicted in the presentation.  

Have a Great Weekend ahead....

KURIAN XAVIER (Freshly Qualified) (222 Points)
Replied 07 April 2012

Absolutely Great lessons from the story.Downloaded & Kept it in hard disk for future sharing and inspiration.Except more from you like this.

1 Like

Ajay Mishra (Company Secretary) (74337 Points)
Replied 07 April 2012

Good Morning Sanjay Ji…….

Very New Concept about team work of Tortoise & Hare. From childhood we all read the different story between Tortoise & Hare.  Really very nice ……….

Thanks for sharing………………. 

1 Like

Ajay Mishra (Company Secretary) (74337 Points)
Replied 07 April 2012

We all are waiting for new sharing………………. 

RaGHuRaM (The Easy are never Good and the Good are never Easy....)   (4952 Points)
Replied 07 April 2012

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story, Sanjay Sir........smiley

1 Like

*RENU SINGH * (✩ §m!ℓ!ñġ €ม€§ fℓม!ñġ ђ♪gђ✩ )   (21627 Points)
Replied 19 February 2013

when things have changed you have to change ... irrespective of ur wish sometimes.

so better to combine your heart and mind ....so that you can accept d change by heart and make d strategy frm mind.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: