Shares loss -income tax return file

Hi,

I have 2 questions.

  1. I had purchased some shares in 2008-2009 and am facing losses in the same. If I sell these shares in 2012 can I show the same in my income tax return?
  2. If I invest in agriculture land which will be 30 km away from the city, will I get any sort of income tax benefit on investment or on production yield in future?

 

Thanks in advance

 

 

Regards

Ravi K

Replies (1)

If STT paid then the income is exempt If not then this shall be speculative loss which should be shown to set it off with future Profit from selling such shares (max limit for set off being 4 yrs)

Aggriculture income defined in sec 2(1)(A) will be exempt and not the investment

However the said land shall be rural aggriculture land if its beyond the limit of 8KM from and municipality OR the population of municipality does not exceed 10,000

(There shall be no cap gain if you sale the land)

If not then the land shall be urban aggriculture land and if you plan to sell/transfer this land then exemption u/s 54B can be availed , if this land is compulsarily acquired then ap gain from compensation will not be taxable either

(provided conditions of the secs are followed)

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Articles

Saini Pati Shah & Co LLP, Chartered Accountants

Mumbai

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
29 September 2026
Work at home

Lottery.sambad.tv

Bhopal

Others

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details