My Mom

(Guest)

I hated my mom who had only one eye. She was such an embarrassment. My mom ran a small at a flea market. One day during my elementary school’s field day my mom visited my school. I was so embarrassed. How could she do this to me? I threw her a hateful look and ran out. The next day at school my friends taunted me, “Your mom only has one eye?!!”

I wished that my mom would just disappear from this world. Days passed and I studied really hard. I left my mother and came to the big city and got accepted in one of the great universities. Then, I got married. I bought a house of my own. I had kids, too. Now I’m living happily as a successful man. I totally forgot about my one eyed mom.

One day, a letter regarding my school reunion came to my house. I lied to my wife saying that I was going on a business trip. I traveled to my hometown. After the reunion, I went down to the old shack called my house and found my mother on the ground with a piece of paper in her hand, which was letter to me. She wrote:

“My son,

I think my life has been long enough now. I miss you so much, I’m sorry that I only have one eye, and I was an embarrassment for you. You see, when you were very little, you got into an accident, and lost your eye, As a mother, I couldn’t stand watching you having to grow up with only one eye…..so I gave you mine. I was never upset at you for anything you did. You mean the world to me.”

My word shattered, I hated the person who only lived for me.

The heart of a mother is a deep obyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.   – Honore de Balzac