Purchase return under gst

GST EXPERTS PLEASE HELP!!!

I WANT TO KNOW WHETHER MY ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FLOW FOR PURCHASE RETURN IS CORRECT

I MAKE A PURCHASE RETURN IN THE MONTH OF JULY TO MY SUPPLIER HE DOESNT ISSUE ME A CREDIT NOTE WHICH REFLECTS IN MY IMS DASHBOARD, HOWEVER I VOLUNTARILY REDUCE THE ITC IN THE TABLE 4(B)2 OF ITC REVERSAL IN THE 3B , NOW WHEN AUGUST MY SUPPLIER FILES HIS CREDIT NOTE IT SITS IN MY IMS DASHBOARD I SIMPLY ACCEPT THE CREDIT NOT BUT WITH "NO" FOR REVERSAL FEATURE THUS THIS DOESNT REDUCE MY ITC TWICE PLUS MY SUPPLIER GET THE LIABILITY SETOFF FOR THE RETURN I MADE 

IS THIS CORRECT PLEASE HELP

Replies (3)
Quick Summary
A taxpayer asked whether ITC should be voluntarily reversed in GSTR-3B for a purchase return before the supplier issues a credit note. The discussion focused on avoiding double ITC reversal when the credit note is later accepted through the IMS dashboard.

Summary: Your current process of manual reversal plus accepting the credit note leads to double-reversal. Instead, skip the manual GSTR-3B entry and use the IMS "Accept" feature, selecting "Yes" for reduction if you haven't reversed it, or "No" if you already did.

Sir thank you for your response , what you have pointed out about using the ims feature to accept and then use 'NO' for reversal of ITC I do precisely that

However in the month I have returned the goods to my supplier I voluntarily reduce itc by showing that in table 4(B)2 ITC REVERSAL  of 3B now is that part correct showing the purchase return in the ITC REVERSAL when there was no credit note in the IMS ,

Sir could you please elaborate your explanation a little further I would be great full to your reply

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details