Easy Office

MY FEELINGS ON TOUGH CA RESULTS

Page no : 3

Sunshine (Helping All) (10575 Points)
Replied 16 January 2014

Hello, 

I agree with each and every word of you sir.... I too got just 42 in FR and 52 in Audit which I consider a shame .... But to be very honest sir, the question papers in FR , Audit and DT this time were beyond normal........... I shud be not saying this but this is what I experienced... The intention was that the student shud have in depth knowledge even to secure qualifying marks (40)..... DT is my favourite paper,,,,, and i got strong affinity towards FR too... But they were bouncers.... DT I managed coz I love it a bit too much.... Got 62 in DT... not happy but relieved...!! (Just my personal experience)

Initially I thought of myself being unlucky to have faced nov 2013... But now I am very happy that after 5 years I can proudly say that I cleared Nov 2013....  hurray..!!

1 Like

Sai Mohan (Mr.) (44 Points)
Replied 16 January 2014

I agree, but if the demand is too low then the existing CA's won't survive due to entry of more CA. It's unfair to reduce the results suddenly. They want to have more income by way of increasing IPCC students as well as promoting CPT students at high rate.
1 Like

neha khandelwal (articled assistant) (73 Points)
Replied 16 January 2014

This is definately true dat in case of ca unlike engineering..entry is easy but exit is da toughest..nd so yes..time nd place need 2 b in favour of ny student..along wid earnest effort..gods grace nd luck is so dere..

Budding Professional (B.Com, CA & CS FINAL) (1686 Points)
Replied 17 January 2014

While advocating tougher norms for entry in CA Curriculum, we must also appreciate and respect the hard work CPT students put in to get entry into this coveted curriculum. And if it is being made stricter by way of curtailing the pass percentages or manipulating the scores, then its not the feasible solution because even in that case, the student will keep on trying and will ultimately end up wasting a lot of time.

ICAI has prescribed minimum percentages in graduation for those who want to enroll into IPCC under Direct Entry, can’t the same be done for those who wish to join CA after 12th? The students who do not score those minimum marks shall not be allowed to write CPT. Or in other case, it can have a kind of structure of CPT, where there will be a couple of few more subjects (can’t say exactly what those couple of subjects should be) and those who have got more than the prescribed marks shall get exemption in those subjects and those who haven’t got the threshold marks should write those papers. And the threshold should be decided giving weightage to the 3 subjects only, i.e Economics, Accountancy, Business Studies. (However, marks are not the sole criteria for judging students capability, but in case of school passouts, there aren’t any benchmarks available and also ICAI can’t afford to take personal interviews of the students)

There are many topics that are in Final that we have already studied about in IPCC, can’t there be some topics that a student be expected to study in CPT that he will find in IPCC? I am not advocating throwing up head turners at CPT students, but there can be things that they can be expected of having some understanding of. The study material should be thoroughly revised, the CPT may be rescheduled, the exam forms may be filed after Class XII results and most importantly, the registration fees in CPT should be reduced and the examination fees may be substantially increased. The arrangement should be in a manner that the total fees of CPT (Registration+Exam) remains more or less the same as it is presently.

And one thing that I find very hard to understand, “Why Economics is there in CPT if it isn’t there in IPCC and Final & Why Economics isn’t in IPCC and Final if it there in CPT”. CAs are known to be business solution providers, they are the torchbearers of the economy or as fondly called “Partner in Nation Building”. Shouldn’t those partners be expected to pursue advanced knowledge of Financial & Business Economics and other allied matters? If yes, why Economics isn’t there in IPCC and Final Level and if No, why it is there in CPT? That being said, Accounting, Audit and Tax are the core competencies of Chartered Accountants and those aspects should not be compromised.

Training remains a core part of CA curriculum and it is also the most compromised aspect by the students. I am not too sure, but I guess I read in the Training Manual that ICAI officials may pay surprise visits at the Principal’s office to see whether an Articled Assistant is getting training in the way he should be getting.  Forget about visits, I doubt that ICAI even calls a Principal to check if the things are in order. The reason of compromising with the training is “Coaching”. Instead of thinking of coaching as a “prerequisite”, it should be thought about like a “individual dependent need”. ICAI recently, with its e learning portal has taken initiatives towards giving students the time and flexibility to study at their own convenience and with further improving it, I believe that a lot of menace of coaching can be curbed.

As far as results of Final and IPCC are concerned, there has to be some certainty. They can’t swing between 3-30%. Though I do not believe in demand-supply theory, but if it is the case, then I think the whole structure should be scrapped and CA exams should be held by announcing the number of seats available, pretty much like the competitive examinations in PSUs. Atleast candidates will know the opportunity available and will accordingly try their luck. Also, if it is true that the results are based on demand-supply theory, then it’s a matter of grave concern. This signifies that ICAI itself believes that CAs are meant to be employed in industry only and not practice at their own, and therefore there may be dearth of practicing CAs in the future and as a result, CAs may well be devoid of the exclusive privileges that they are currently entitled to.

At the end, it feels very disheartening failing 5 times in CA Final. What further embarrasses me is the fact that my marks in first attempt (where I appeared with literally one and a half months preparation) were higher than what I have scored in this attempt. And I can’t understand what theorem ICAI have applied this time.

All that being said, I hope ICAI will adhere to the issues that are being raised numerous times on professional forums and the profession will continue its glory ahead.

I would request member’s comments on what I have mentioned above.

Thanks & Regards

Neeraj

2 Like

Daisy (student) (26 Points)
Replied 17 January 2014

respected sirs, I would like to know is there a mediator in between which can forward the message of flunked students filled with agony now ..to ICAI...I mean institute should be made aware of their mistake

Replied 17 January 2014

Respected sirs, I would like to know is there a mediator in between which can forward the message of flunked students filled with agony now to ICAI.. I mean institute should be made aware of their mistake

Replied 17 January 2014

Respected sirs, I would like to know is there a mediator in between which can forward the message of flunked students filled with agony now to ICAI...I mean institute should be made aware of their mistake

Replied 17 January 2014

Neeraj well said....

Dhanya Rose (Student) (147 Points)
Replied 17 January 2014

I do honestly believe at an individual level, the student has to only be bothered about the syllabus and his preparation and performance. For a student, the pass percentage should be meaningless and none of his concern. But as a CA, I am sure we all agree, variances should be explained. Does the ICAI mean to say that a drop from 13% to 3% pass percentages is purely because of individual students lack of efforts? Like any other institution, a professional body should be held responsible for the development of the profession even at the student level. If the pass percentages are dropping, what has the ICAI done to that effect? You cannot set a super tough November paper and an easy May paper The ICAI charges a whopping $400 for foreign exam centers, no foreign chapter is even equipped with any RTP /Suggested answers! It is not some fashion to be called a low-pass percentage course and hence, very tough. Honestly medicine and CFA are far more recognized,worthy and far far more difficult than CA to clear but the institution doesn't run its show by regulating the pass percentages and building stories around explain it. Also, an observation is most toppers these days are from the North. How is that possible? Some ICAI officials have their own institutes and others will blame coaching centers for poor performance. AICPA, ICAEW are comparable institutes, I dont see a single professional accounting body that blames coaching centers for their performances. Someone has to evaluate ICAI as an educational institution and a global degree. I will take explanations that students didnt perform well and all that is a students' self evaluation. Why preach standard costing /auditing and consistency principle and run an institution that show so consistency. Why would a global employer employ an Indian CA if he cannot rely on the difficulty level/testing quality within 5 year frame? How would I know if this candidate genuinely cracked CA when it was at 3% pass rate difficulty or at a 15% pass rate difficulty.

1 Like

Replied 17 January 2014

@ Rahul Patel. pls tell me which book u went thru for idt n costing... it will be of great help

Karan Teli (Life Is just an Illusion...!!)   (4573 Points)
Replied 17 January 2014

Relax Friends. Just shrug your shoulders and move on. Their are many more problems in future you have to overcome. Just keep calm and patient. Change your perception.

Have a look at this link. Their is a message for all those who are dishearted.

/forum/i-can-do-it--277654.asp#.Uthsi_mVOWw 

CA SURENDRA KUMAR RAKHECHA (Practising CA at Surat) (26258 Points)
Replied 17 January 2014

In CA Act, it is clearly mentioned that ICAI can restrict the results.

The act was made in 1949 and then amended in 1988.

After that; whole scenario has changed and many remarkable developents have taken place.  The wings of profession has spread wonderfully but during articleship training; most of the students don't have even an idea of corporate cosultancy because they just remained "booked" with traditional work.

From such atmosphere; if ICAI wants EXPERT KNOWLEDGE from all the students in all the subjects; means without creating infrastructure for its students; it wants SUPERB PERFORMANCE.

1 Like

Replied 17 January 2014

Interestingly, the student who has scored high marks in IDT now; is not the GUARANTEE that he is REALLY WONDERFUL in that subject because everyone knows well HOW TOUGH THE PRACTICE is in INDIRECT TAXATION (especially Excise and Service Tax). Actually; IDT paper of ICAI remains too simple compared to the practice area.

I can proudly say that at ICAI; many members are there who are excellent in their areas but unfortunate part is number of such members are not growing compared to the global demand.

ICAI claims for GLOBAL CAREER  but majority of its students have LOCAL ATMOSPHERE

3 Like

Replied 17 January 2014

When students wish to enter into CA PROFESSION; it is suggested by the PEERS that a CA has opportunity in HUNDREDS of DIFFERENT CAREERS.

( How one can enter into such hundreds of careers; is hardly known to even a qualified chartered accountant ). 

Hece, after declaring strict results, if it is ARGUED that :

DUE TO DEMAND AND SUPPLY;

THE PASS PERCENTAGE IS MANAGED........ is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE and MISLEADING THE MASS.

It is high time that at the ENTRY LEVEL; there must be clear instructions to the STUDENTS and THEIR PARENTS that :

"AT THE LAST MOMENTS of  DECLARATION of CA RESULTS;

ICAI M-A-N-A-G-E-S CA RESULTS AS PER ITS COUNCIL MEETINGS."

(As no prior information is given to the students what would be the percentage of results in a particular attempt due to demand and supply).

Just approx 10 days before ICAI president has told that Industry is facing shortage of CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS.

If he is true then it means in by declaring HIGH RESULTS for last 5-6 years ,

ICAI has "produced" those chartered accountants who were UNFIT to the INDUSTRY.

3 Like

sanjiv kumar singh (proprietor) (21 Points)
Replied 17 January 2014

Plz realise CA is tough this step was necessary coz of some known ministers who said there is huge deficit of CAs might pushed ICAI to improve results pleasa enter the market n u ll see still so many CAs are struggling to settle down their career

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: