ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Does articleship help in clearing your CA exams?

(Guest)

Hello,

As most of u must have gone through the October issue of CA MAgazines & the views of Rankholders of CA exams...All of them agreed that training had helped them in preparing for their exam in a certain way..

Do u really agree to this view..

AS far as my view is concerned, I dont think so that training has helped me in preparing for my exams in ANYWAY.....not even in a single matter..What do u feel??

49 Replies

CA Mani (Credit Analyst) (2804 Points)
Replied 02 November 2009

It depends upon what type of training we are getting but it will help in restrictive manner i think so anyway best wishes for future

Krunal Raichura (Financial Advisory) (2134 Points)
Replied 02 November 2009

I have been working with a big 4 right from the beginning. Unlike many of you, I have had an opportunity to work with all departments in all areas. Except for Audit and tax, Articleship training has not helped me prepare for any paper. Everybody at our firm is tech savy and we use the best technology in our official as well as personal lives. However, our IT syllabus is too theoretical, irrelevant and outdated for my articleship training to help me prepare for that subject. I have done hard core corporate finance work, worked with Private Equity guys, in debt, equity, PE, VC funding and honestly speaking I did not find any of the things in our FM syllabus relevant. We have been using the CFA and Damodaran's book always whenever we had to refer to books. Practically, there difference between FM taught to us and what goes practically is as big as the difference of plastic and gold...so no help for FM paper as well.

I do not have any exposure in Costing, so no comments for that. 

I would also like to say, that the exposure which I have got in this reputed firm and luckily in all areas has given me a broad mindset and enriched my learning. The practical experience of articleship in various areas as discussed above, in a way has distracted me and made me loose my interest in studying subjects like IT, SM and FM. I feel its a sheer waste of time. These subjects are just for the sake of it. And innocent people are being misguided especially in FM theories and concepts. And many of you have also developed an ego that CAs are big time knowledgable people of FM, IT or SM....but I feel thats a false feeling of superiority and would surely lead to disappointments in near future in case any of you are put to work on corporate finance, or put to work on such assignments where you have to be tech savy.

1 Like

santhosh (Student) (1174 Points)
Replied 03 November 2009

hey Manasvi...

I am also agree with you, If the persons getting articleship in big4 firms or in medium types  firms Like S.R.Battliboi will get a good experience in articleship, My town is a small one only 40 members are in my town. My pricincipal have only few company audits. which are  in service sectors like Hospitals, scan centres and also turnover is below 3crores only..... How can i study Excise duty, customs duty, service duty, SEBI, Fema etc.from these..... those persons getting in Big4 firms getting all these experience.... our president also saying should not go for coaching....  so, don't know how we will get these experience.....

CA.Shaleen Srivastava (CA , CWA*, Bcom(H)) (1999 Points)
Replied 03 November 2009

Our President think always for the Member`s . Really it is very bad.

Why always student face problems

CA Kingsley (Audit Manager) (470 Points)
Replied 03 November 2009

It depends on the firm u r doing articleship. I did articleship in 2 firms. The first firm made me forget whatever i learnt theoritically in auditing also. But in second firm, i got decent exposure in direct tax and accounts and it was very much relevant for exams. But i never got any practical exposure in mafa, audit , law, costing and indirect tax or mics.  I think as an audit course, it is enough to have exposure in accounts, tax and audit. for rest of paper, theoritical knowledge will be sufficient.

(Guest)

Well it depends with whom you have worked and what are the areas you have covered... People who have done Due Diligence, Tax Audits, Stock and Receivables Audits, Covered CARO etc along with statutory audit would have a different opinion as compared to those who are stuck with Internal Audits, Concurrent Audits of Banks or as Krunal says Private Equity etc.. So It is very difficult to come to a solid conclusion on this issue... But i must admit that the term of the training needs to be looked into...

BHAGYESH RAVANGE (C.A Job) (1528 Points)
Replied 03 November 2009

Training helps you only in the Income Tax and the Audit Papers only

Aarti (abc) (64 Points)
Replied 03 November 2009

I totally agree with KRUNAL as above.

In fact after u get interested in practical aspects of internship, u don't fel like reading the materials. There's lot of difference. The only plus is articleship helps u in preparing for a real life scenario andu will not be dumb in ur first job,    if no adequate exposure even though u cleared exams u will not be able to shine in the work place later.... i have seen many intelligent seniors doing good work but flunking in exams and viceversa. So i don't think it is any relevant for any of the papers u study for exams, i know a rank holder who does not hv a clue abt the job done by auditors practically... maybe we shd first complete exams and then go for articleship  as articleship cud distract us frm studies, again clearing and going for a job without articles too is not advisable, so maybe the institute shd. make it compulsory - Articles competion first and then only take up exams or upon completion of CA exams, articleship to be compulsory.  

2 Like

Rakesh Kumar (finance controller) (44 Points)
Replied 03 November 2009

A WHOLE LOT

(Guest)

Hey Manasvi,

Even I used to think the same before appearing for my exams. But once I appeared for my PCC exams this June, my opinion changed. This is so bcoz u never know that somewhere somehow u come accross some practical issues during ur training tenure which are very helpful while writing ur Audit and Taxation papers. This helped me as well.....

Agree that it also depends upon the kind of training u r undergoing, but in my opinion articleship helps in exams a lot specially in practical matters..

Deepak Jain (CA Final Student) (514 Points)
Replied 03 November 2009

Well if ur getting practical experience which is close or related to our ca exams, then it really helps.

sp (conf) (76 Points)
Replied 03 November 2009

Originally posted by :Krunal Raichura
"  I have been working with a big 4 right from the beginning. Unlike many of you, I have had an opportunity to work with all departments in all areas. Except for Audit and tax, Articleship training has not helped me prepare for any paper. Everybody at our firm is tech savy and we use the best technology in our official as well as personal lives. However, our IT syllabus is too theoretical, irrelevant and outdated for my articleship training to help me prepare for that subject. I have done hard core corporate finance work, worked with Private Equity guys, in debt, equity, PE, VC funding and honestly speaking I did not find any of the things in our FM syllabus relevant. We have been using the CFA and Damodaran's book always whenever we had to refer to books. Practically, there difference between FM taught to us and what goes practically is as big as the difference of plastic and gold...so no help for FM paper as well.

I do not have any exposure in Costing, so no comments for that. 

I would also like to say, that the exposure which I have got in this reputed firm and luckily in all areas has given me a broad mindset and enriched my learning. The practical experience of articleship in various areas as discussed above, in a way has distracted me and made me loose my interest in studying subjects like IT, SM and FM. I feel its a sheer waste of time. These subjects are just for the sake of it. And innocent people are being misguided especially in FM theories and concepts. And many of you have also developed an ego that CAs are big time knowledgable people of FM, IT or SM....but I feel thats a false feeling of superiority and would surely lead to disappointments in near future in case any of you are put to work on corporate finance, or put to work on such assignments where you have to be tech savy.
"

Of course, from exam point of view, what articleship, especially in Big4 will add on to is the practical applicability of standards.......... 

CA Abhiram Bharat. (Assistant Manager Taxation)   (508 Points)
Replied 03 November 2009

actually,, i also dont  prefer to hav the coaching classes. bt still some concepts rather discussed in te classroom may help the students to refine their knowledge & concpts regarding the partucular topics..

as far as the Articleship is concerned with the preparation of the CA exams.. i thnk one must go for the the pratical Trainings.. no mater whether the knowledge gained at the traings appear in the form of Questions in the exmas  or not bt still.... the confidence,, the ability to boost up one's self confidence,,, & some very interesting areas which we may nt find out in any books or at the tutions ... the pratical training works a lot...in fact... if u go for a dummy & hav a Rank.... worthlesss baby....

(Guest)

Agree with Mr. Maninder ...

It depends upon what type of training one is doing..if it is related to taxation and audit then of coursely it would be helpful...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags