Easy Office

company secretary career options

Page no : 4

Kavin (Emplyment) (149 Points)
Replied 15 April 2010

I am mentioning it again ... i don mean any offence to CA course or CWA course ... CA is a wonderful course ... I'm not tryna say that CS are no less than a CA or better .. 

The discussion is just bout the opportunities a company secretary has when he or she looks for a job ... The recognition the course has .. and what has to be done to make a change ... 

thanks ..

please don misunderstand ... 

Krunal Raichura (Financial Advisory) (2134 Points)
Replied 15 April 2010

Dear Kavin,

You can directly become a stock broker either by purchasing your own trading rights (which requires an investment of i guess a crore), or through a franchisee of any brokerage house (which doesn't require a huge investment). Anyone right from a dropout to the most qualified person can do this and become a stock broker. The success achieved after being a stock broker is purely a matter of your own efforts than degree. It will depend upon your understanding of markets (when to buy and when to sell is not tauth in any course or book so its not like anyone has an edge over others), you ability to network with people, luck etc.

If you want to work with a stock broking firm, there are many profiles and you may clarify what you want to do. In a brokers office, you will find some people sitting on the system, executing orders on behlaf of clients, some will be ensuring risk management - monitor client limits and compliance etc, some would be sitting and interacting with new people who wish to open accounts, some will be doing book-keeping work, some will be doing research about companies and their managements and figuring out investment opportunities, some will be looking at past trends of prices and try to prediuct future prices and there are many other things which are done in a brokers office which people from different backgrounds do.

Like in CAs, the doamin area is accounting, auditing, taxation, it is surely difficult for CAs to find jobs outside these three areas (PS - I said only "difficult" and not impossible). Its always difficult to get a change. See even in case of engineers, they get into finance mostly after doing an MBA only.

Knowing what to do early in life is surely quite difficult thats what even Mr. Buffet says.

You may refer to my blog and read articles on personal branding, "the buffet style of success" etc. I have shared my insights on what it takes to achieve what you want.

1 Like

Replied 15 April 2010

Things arent as great as it seems even for CAs. See /forum/response-to-eco-times-article--78355.asp

I am always of the believer that everything depends on individual than the degree. If there are CAs, CS, MBA from IIMs etc who are VPs, Directors, CEOs, there are people who are none of these an bigger than all of them, have recruited thousands of CAs and MBAs from top institutes. You may call them exceptions or whatever, but you have better ideals to look at, so you can always aim to be an"exception" just like they did.

To be quite practical, if you choose a field you want to get into, ask yourself, how all your qualifications, skillsets, knowledge etc can help your employer make money. Once you know that, make it visible, market it well. You should be able to convince the employer as to how all your marksheets, knowledge etc will make money for him. There are people who are ordinary gradautes who have got great jobs just by doing this. And there ae many highly qualified people who dont know how they can make money for the employer, how they can make life easy for others and themselves...andthose guys are still struglling for 10-20% more.

Replied 15 April 2010

Dude ..

very nice man ...  you have a different way of looking at things man .. ..thats cool .. super cool .... I am getting myself prepared for the job .. investing small amount to learn how the market works ,,, learning technical analysis .. reading articles .. understanding charts etc etc .. i am doin my bit of home work .. i jus wanna have enof knowledge before i go search for a job ...  ,... well ... i understand that more than qualification .. knowledge plays a bigger role in getting jobs or rather the desired job ...

thanks buddy for your time 

VENI. (CS-Trainee) (227 Points)
Replied 15 April 2010

Hello,

Greatful to know about the views who are getting experience or already experienced in the same feild..

Though i am CS-Final student and undergoing training under TCIL (Ministry of Telecom) and i somewhat agree to your vies as far as Govt. Co is concerned they basically don't have  9 to 5 job..if that person hasn't have to do something specified...otherwise CS is just to conduct 4 BOD Meetings & 1 AGM.

Though with full respect i do beleive that we are dealing with Disinvestments, Reconstruction, Arbitration etc..

So, i do prefer to enhance my knowledge in every field and try to get expert knowledge as far as it possible..

Replied 16 April 2010

Dear Kavin,

I am happy to know that you found those thoughts useful.

You should continue this learning always, its a never ending activity. At the same time, start networking, develop other skillsets esepcially those which are required to face clients.

Good Luck.

Harish (CS) (92 Points)
Replied 16 April 2010

probably Mr.Jithesh is right .i am ready to start to start my career in the secretarial field but i am not getting any interview calls even after posting my resume at various job sites.Its been 2 months since i have been looking for a job but i have not got any interview call.Are the jobs for Company Secretaries very few. How should i proceed

Harish (CS) (92 Points)
Replied 17 April 2010

I think Mr Jithesh is right .One can start his career in secretarial field and later progress to other areas.But sir i am a fresher CS  and have been looking for a job for the past  3 months but i have not got any interview calls even after posting my resume at various job sites.What should i do.Please advice.

CS Jithesh (ACS,) (COMPANY SECRETARY ) (485 Points)
Replied 17 April 2010

According to me jobs are there in the market. In most of the companies salary incriment will be on May or April. Once the salary got incrimented, So most of the employees wo are looking for a change will waite for these months. So that they will get  and can show extra 10 to 15 % CTC increase in their CVs.

But having said the above there are enough job opporunities. I have only almost 2 years of experience but I can assure you there are roads to exploit and you will get the job. Update your resume and submitt all job sites, check newspapers. Provide your CV s to consultancies. Check ICSI website. If you are not getting the job with in 1 or 2 months don't get upset, use that time properly by updating all that you have studied and also new things and spread your wings.

Everything is just a matter of time. Once your time comes for attending interviews, you wlll be more confidence in yourself and with the CS profession as a whole.

I can only tell you one thing CS is just a profession which gives you a platform yo lauch you life and career. It is you who has to drive your life to acheive your dream. At this point I can only tell you one thing "JUST BELIEVE IN U AND TRY HARD, THINGS WILL COMES YOUR WAY..............

Regards

CS Jithesh
1 Like

Replied 17 April 2010

Hi,

I am a Company Secretary student and I would like to bring to the notice of the institute Of Company Secretaries of India that the CS course has an amazing curriculum and good commentary on all the subjects which enables students to learn and acquire knowledge in various fields.

However, my only concern is that once a student completes the course and looks for a job, a company secretary does not get opportunities other than secretarial and legal fields. But while studying the students learn about Accounts, Tax, Law, Financial Management, Forex Management, Economics etc etc. The students have a good knowledge of the subject and we should get job opportunities in such fields as well. So in this regard if the Institute take steps to tie-up with Corporate or other Institution to ensure that CS Profession gets recognition in different fields  and would result in healthy competition and interest among the professionals and will produce quality CS Professionals who will be able to adopt  themselves to different market situations.   

As a CS student, I am of the opinion that the ‘Company Secretary’ (Existing Name) could be changed as  “Chartered Secretary” because the term Company Secretary gives a different image to the outside world.  We have been facing problems with lack of recognition for this profession. ICSI took a good initiative with the logo change, similarly it would be great if the name be changed to Chartered Secretary.

We request the institute to do more promotional activities so as to make Society and Corporate aware of the role a CS professional can play in various fields and sectors apart from secretarial activities. Promotional activities will not only benefit the existing Members and Students but also will attract more and more students to take up the course.

Please take the request into consideration and take necessary steps which will benefit the CS Profession.

Replied 17 April 2010

I sent the above mail to the institute ... if anyone shares the same opinion as mine .. please send the same or a similar mail to the institute  .. the institute  will take steps .. 

thanks 

Kiran Toshniwal (Practicing Company Secretary)   (142 Points)
Replied 17 April 2010

I also sent the above mail to the institute. 

Kuldeep Sharma (Service) (48 Points)
Replied 17 April 2010

Hi All,

I also have sent a mail in this regard. I request all the students who are of the same opinion to join hands in this initiative.

Regards,

Kuldeep Sharma

Manali (Trainee) (24 Points)
Replied 17 April 2010

I have also sent above mail to below mentioned E-mail Ids

sutanu.sinha @ icsi.edu, 

vp.sharma @ icsi.edu, 

sudhir.dixit @ icsi.edu,

alka.kapoor @ icsi.edu,
ak.sil @ icsi.edu,
ma.joseph @ icsi.edu,
sonia.baijal @ icsi.edu,
s.kumar @ icsi.edu,
sk.arora @ icsi.edu,
sohan.lal @ icsi.edu,
ashvini.srivastava @ icsi.edu,
vinod.jetly @ icsi.edu,
Ankur.yadav @ icsi.edu,
asit.rath @ icsi.edu,
rakesh.goyal @ icsi.edu

Nagendra (Company Secretary) (46 Points)
Replied 17 April 2010

I have also sent the same 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: