Easy Office

company secretary career options

Page no : 5

Astha ( ) (72 Points)
Replied 23 April 2010

@ Kavin, I agree with u. Functional area of CS is not wide although we study accounts,taxation,Financial Management ,Banking ,Insurance apart from corporate law .but Companies do not have faith in us .They think that that being CS is not enough.Besides this ,Company Secretary also brings a different image to a layman and mostly consultants don't understand what is CS ?They misunderstood it with PA or something like that .So name should be changed and course should be made known.

varun prabhu (Student) (102 Points)
Replied 09 January 2011

About the name section i agree with my whole heart....But the thing is even "Secretary" must be changed. Maybe Advisor.

varun prabhu (Student) (102 Points)
Replied 10 January 2011

well i agree also with kavin about the fact that CS shud be allowed to go into investment banking. the problem area for us is the name itself, tho respected among students but still, people still perceive us to be secretarial oriented professionals, although opportunities are springing up these days and our roles have expanded....

about the very first post, kavin pointed out that CS can do as well in investment banking as a CA...yes he/she can...but the fact is that the professionals consider CA as the one who is a genius in the financial field and in any sector related to it...moreover CA has been well marketed and promoted and has come to be a respectable profession...not that CS/ICWA isnt but our institutes have done very less to promote our cases....to get into investment banking and any other wealth management related areas, i think NCFM certifications might help in adding value...you could check out the folowing modules that might help:

1 - Securities market module basic

2 - currency derivatives module

3 - capital market dealers module

4 - derivatives market dealers module

5 - investment analysis and portfolio management module

6 - Corporate Governance Module

7 - NSDL Depository Operations

8 - Compliance Officers Corporate module

yes, i think some of these 8 modules might just add value to the CS course especially if you want to go into financial and capital market sector (if u want to do anything other than just doing compliance related works, if you want to go for investment advisories, market research, i-banking, stock broking, etc)

i hope this has helped...

espionage (human being...) (769 Points)
Replied 13 January 2011

one hello'va dis cussion goin on here...

its good to see the rise of the cs profession...

im also interested in investment banking , stock broking, consultancy etc.

the main drawback is that ICSI isnt takin any initiatives to promote CS ... coz icai taken end less steps to promote CA......na na its not right ..ill also send the above mentioned mail to icsi... plus i have a  well known person whos has just been elected to the NIRC of ICSI... ill talk to him surely...its high time..

the underdog(CS)  has to rise.....

*PEACE*

Replied 13 January 2011

here ive edited the letter written by kavin so as to make it more humble :-)

critisism and improvements are welcome ...

To ICSI,

I am a Company Secretary student and I would like to bring to the notice of the Institute Of Company Secretaries of India that the CS course has a broad based curriculum and provides in depth knowledge on all the subjects in the course which enables students to learn and acquire knowledge in various fields.

However, my only concern is that once a student completes the course and looks for a job, he does not get opportunities in avenues other than secretarial and legal fields. But while studying for the CS charter ,the students learn about Accounts, Taxation, Law, Financial Management, Forex Management, Economics, Mergers and Acquisitions etc. The students have in depth knowledge of the above mentioned subjects and should be able to bag in opportunities in such fields as well. So, in this regard it would be a boon for the students if the Institute takes up steps to tie-up with established Corporates or other Institutions namely investment banks, stock broking firms, management consultancy firms etc, to ensure that CS Profession gets due recognition in different fields and thus resulting in a healthy competitive environment and generation of interest and respect for CS among other professionals and enterprises thriving in the economy.   

As a CS student, I am of the opinion that the existing name ‘Company Secretary’ could be proposed as  “Chartered Secretary” because the term Company Secretary does not present the image of such an important profession to the outside world in the manner it is intended to. We, the students and qualified members alike, have been facing problems with lack of recognition for this profession. ICSI took a good initiative with the logo change, similarly it would be great if the name be changed to Chartered Secretary.

We present a humble request to the institute to come up with more promotional activities so as to make Society and Corporates aware of the role a CS professional can play in various fields and sectors apart from secretarial and legal activities. Promotional activities will not only benefit the existing Members and Students but also will attract more students to take up study to obtain this highly valued charter.

Please take our humble request into consideration and take the necessary steps which will benefit the CS Profession in the immediate future.

Thanking you

the CS student community

Ranjeet kumar sahu (CWA Qualified/CA/CS) (186 Points)
Replied 13 January 2011

HI All,

By reading the above comments from everyone i would like to share to the students who completed their CS or pusuing their CS course please kindly note that there are lot of opportunities in our country for CS like CA & CWA. So first of all i would like to say that dont be scared or hopeless as you dont get enough scope for the same just think yourself that after joining CS course who helped you to acheive success in the examination and the answer will be "you" am i right? in the same way before joining or after joining the profession prepare a road map as in which field you want to enter into the Market i.e. by joining a company or starting as a career by practising the profession.

As far as  institute is concerned it has already mentioned the various fields in which a Qualified CS can enter into and the same can be known from the following link:

https://www.icsi.edu/Member/SegmentwiseRole/tabid/1612/Default.aspx

Just make sure that the role in which you want to enter into there should not be any loopholes for your side i.e. "knowledge wise".So make your self healthy knowledge wise and i am sure no one can compete you in the world if you have enough knowledge and you use it in a proper manner or in a proper channel

Regads,

Ranjeet

Kavin (Emplyment) (149 Points)
Replied 13 January 2011

Halo to everyone,

I see a lotta participation in this thread ..

I tried for a job in investment banking division for 2 months,,  The job consultants will forward ma resume to the companies but I did not get any call from any company .. I applied to around 150 companies .. The companies don recognize CS professional as a person competent for and investment banking profile ,, Cant blame da companies as they are in the stereotype tat Company secretaries can handle only corporate matters ..

After completing my CS and 15 months training … I attended MSOP arranged by CS Bangalore Chapter …  I met many professionals ,, few from investing background .. I tried to ask them as to “why cant Company Secretaries work in an Investment Bank” .. All dey could ans is .. try getting some additional certifications or an MBA or a CA …

After all the job applications .. I hadn’t even got one interview call…

Finally one small company which was not so keen about qualification called me for an interview … tat was my first interview and I cracked it ,, now I am workin as an equity analyst for a private equity firm …

My advice would be ,,, while doin ur CS course ,, please try to learn as much as possible abt investing .. read articles written by fund managers, wealth managers, investment banking professional etc ,,

Cos da opportunity tat u will be getting will be very less and if at all u get one shot to prove ur self ,, u should capitalize on tat ,,,

Its not impossible to get into investment bankin .. but its not easy at all .. lack of recognition for CS is da only problem ..

As more and more people start earning higher salary,,, the investors in the equity market or financial instrument will keep increasing ,, hence ,, the need for more investment advisors, financial planner and wealth managers .. There will be many job opportunities in the future .

and yes .. If you chose investing as a career ,, its very rewarding .. good pay packages ,, stressful work .. the job will always keep u in ur toes ..

In my opinion .. It is the most bad ass job in the world 

Only knowledge will get u their ,,, NCFM certifications are good for some basic knowledge ,, Keep ur self updated wit current affairs ..

Even if u don want to become an “Investment Banker”.. U can still learn to invest the money u earn as a “Company Secretary” 

Replied 13 January 2011

well a huge congrats for the new job... par bhai ye to abhi shuruvat hai... aage aage dekho hota hai kya...

by the way jhave u recieved reply from icsi for the letter we emailed to them????

*PEACE*

Replied 13 January 2011

thanks .. no reply ... did not expect any reply ...

hota hai bhai !! just be calm ..

Replied 14 January 2011

every one reading this ..its my humble request to all of u to please email the letter given above to icsi so as to be of benefit to you and all.

thanks

*PEACE*

venkat (NIL) (111 Points)
Replied 14 January 2011

hi kavin,

the future of the cs qualification is bright as there is a huge demand supply gap in the market,the lenient and liberal evaluation and pass percentage is ample proof.....i would advice u to go in for cwa course after ur cs or u can also try for a cia certification if u r interested in internal auditing.for more details-www.theiia.org/ or www.iiaindia.org/.

venkat (NIL) (111 Points)
Replied 14 January 2011

dear kavin ,

i really appreciate ur concern for the cs profession and fellow cs students .......keep up the good work .

with refernce to the earlier discussion on the name change of the institute from company secretary to chartered secretary the same is not possible as the government has already rejected the application of the institute citing the reason as india is a free and independent country and not under the british raj..and hence bestowing the title of 'chartered 'would not be appropriate.

CS Jithesh (ACS,) (COMPANY SECRETARY ) (485 Points)
Replied 14 January 2011

This is not a valid reason. The meaning of Chartered is Approved by Statute/Government . If that is the case how Chartered is used by CA's and Chartered Engineeirs.....

Chartered is the symbol of ultimate profeesionalism in the area, thats all for which there will be a body approved by govt to regulate the approvals to become the member of that particulars profeesional body.

This is my view with regard to Changing the word to Chartered. According to me it can be done only thing is the modification should be done on enactments.

Withregard to the CS as profession I can tell you once you are having the knowledge excellence, you cannot be stopped. Professionalism is a platform through which you have to build your career. It is  you who has to plan your future. Don't be depressed, in the coming years and even now also the market for CS is excellent and it is growing like anything.

Trust me. Only thing is you try to pass CS and once pass, you pass and come outside, you will come to know. One thing I woud like to suggest is, never stop learning and CS is one of the best professional course which deals with viberent of multi discipilnaries....

Best  Wishes everyone..  :)

Replied 14 January 2011

well said jithesh sir..

btw kavin in which company are u workin?

*PEACE*

Replied 14 January 2011

probe equity research private ltd !!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: