A story with a moral: building a mansion for the here-after.

CA. Tanvi Joshi (Chartered Accountant) (2729 Points)

06 August 2013  

Years ago there lived a rich man, who was so rich that he had multiple properties in many different countries.

He had a servant whom he always called by the name “fool”. One day before his overseas trip to US, he called his servant, “Fool come here! Tomorrow I am heading to New York…” His servant asked, “Where will you be staying over there master?” To which the man laughed and replied, “Fool don’t you know? I have built myself 2 houses and 3 hotels there.”

Some other time, when he had another overseas trip due he called his servant, “Fool come here! I’ll be leaving to Manchester tomorrow.”

His servant asked, “So where are you going to stay there master?”

Again the man laughed and replied, “Fool don’t you know? I have prepared ahead and bought 3 mansions and 4 Penthouses there.”

Years passed, the man grew sick and during his last hours he was on his death bed.

Weakly, he called his servant, “Fool come here! I am very weak and i feel I’m heading towards my next life soon.”

To which the servant jokingly asked,” Where are u going to stay over there master?”

The man swelled up in tears and said, “Oh fool, I worked so hard and spent so much money building myself places to stay in many different parts of this world. But I never did anything to build myself anything in the hereafter. I called you fool all this while, but instead I have been the foolish one.”

Moral: Dear Friends, yes this may look like an imaginary story but after all what is the meaning behind this? We spent money and time building our futures in this world, which is of course important. But what have we done in preparation of our next life? Have we prayed enough so that we have mansions in paradise? Or have we done enough good deeds to at least earn a tree to lie against and to eat fruits from in paradise? May this will make all of us reflect and work harder for the afterlife.