COVID-19 - Nose-diving into Reality.
Firstly, I hope anyone who has tested positive for Covid-19 or is under observation/quarantine, walks out safely. Secondly, I request and beg everyone to please stay in their home ATLEAST till 14th April. It is indeed a very sad situation across the world, but now that we have time, let us try to utilize it.
अरसा बीत गया कुछ लफ्ज़ लिखके, पर अब ये मौका नहीं छोड़ना चाहता हूं.
The reason for naming the topic as 'Nose-diving into Reality' is because now, more than ever, we all may realize about the things that actually matter in our life and for our soul. We generally carry on with a very packed schedule through our work, our travel to work, meeting friends, family social commitments, phone use, etc. Our appointments and meetings are fixed a week in advance and we try ever other way in keeping ourselves occupied.
We would have heard from our body/our heart/our friends/parents to slow down but we weren't mindful enough. Somehow, we always cribbed about not having time because we always wanted to do more. The power of mindfulness is the freedom to pause and savor your life, the only life you have.
'Have you tuned in to the look in your mother's or child's eye when they sense you're rushing through your interaction with them? Odds are, if you did, you would drop everything.'
Beware the Barrenness of a busy life- SOCRATES !!
Now, here we are, with more time than ever imagined. EVERYONE has extra time now (Except people working in Hospitals, Clinics, and people related to work linked to COVID 19). Those people who still have similar amount of office work also have extra time as their travel time is saved.
Since National lockdown started, there is unrest amongst the public about their income, work, everyone's health, family functions, etc. But, one of the most striking and surprising worry is about what to do with so much time. It's funny how we always cribbed about not having time, and now when we have it, we are again cribbing. Probably, this is because over the years we have not invested time in the things we are passionate about, not developed our interest areas or our hobbies. Now, we may have all the money in the world, but we can't do anything with it. It cannot buy us our hobbies, it cannot give us inner peace, it cannot develop our interests, and it cannot kill/utilize our time.
I want to narrate an embarrassing incidence - On 28th March around 12.30pm, I planned to keep my phone away for 3 hours during day time and it really got me irritated at the 2/2.5 hour mark. But in those 3 hours, something magical happened - My Mind started to work again. It started to gather thoughts. It started to give me ideas about my writing. It started to make me realize how stupid I am in wasting so many hours in my mobile (irrespective of whether it is for work or talking to close friends, etc). I started helping my mother and sister a bit more during those 3 hours. Then I realized - थोड़ी देर ठहर जाओ, कुछ नहीं होगा. When I used my phone after 3 hours, everything was the same. I felt motivated to do this exercise again and again.
I firmly believe we can utilize our time in combination of many of the below options:-
- Starting back our Art - Drawing, Painting, Sketching, etc
- Playing games like Snake& Ladders, Cards, Ludo, Chess, Monopoly, etc
- Investing time in our hobbies - Playing Guitar, Singing, Dancing, Reading Novels, Writing Blogs and Poetry, etc
- Improving our skill set and knowledge in the areas of our interest (Eg. A financial advisor researching more about the different products)
- Collating your financial details and making a financial plan for future - Financial assets like FD, MF, Bank Accounts, Shares, Bonds, PF, etc with minute details; insurance policies; real estate; Loans; Vehicle related details; Locker facility availed; Paytm and other wallet balances; etc.
- Understanding in detail about how the World Economy works (Eg. How is Gold Price in India Linked to Gold Price in Foreign Countries OR the link of Crude Oil with Indian Petrol prices OR what is FDI/ECB/ODI/FCGPR, etc)
- Connecting with people who are from different professions and understanding their work and their current situation.
- Re-arranging your contacts, photos, work related files in Mobile and Laptop and taking backups.
- Learning Cooking and helping family in other household chores.
- Cleaning your cupboard, arranging physical files with your important documents.
- Getting physically fitter by regular exercise at home, get mentally fitter through meditation and various other ways.
- Preparing for an exam you want to give in the near future.
- Introspection (Very necessary but a warning: Helen Keller famously said - 'People don't like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.')
If we want to get motivated, then there are more than a dozen ways. This lockdown is a message for us to slow down in our life & focus on the things that are close to our heart along with prioritizing our health.
जो अच्छा लगता है करो, मगर कुछ ऐसा करो जो तुम हमेशा खुशीसे याद कर सको....जो तुम्हारे दिल को सुकून दे !!
Please remember that our work is going to increase at spectacular speed after lockdown as businesses will look to cover up the lost revenue.
Its upto us,
- Whether we want to keep cribbing about having nothing to do or want to get better?
- Whether we want to complain later about too much work after lockdown or want to carry on feeling better about your life?
- Whether we want to stay de-motivated or want to enjoy every moment of your life?
- On 14th April, we can either be proud with these 3 weeks by discovering ourselves OR we could end up wondering about what we did in these 3 weeks.
Happiness is a choice !! Motivation is a choice !! Fitness is a choice !! Living is a choice !!
!! जिंदगी जीने का मौका मिला है ,गवाना मत !!
The author can also be reached at Navinaga1202@gmail.com