TDS on Rent Paid

If I am paying house rent to someone.  Do I have to do TDS if yes then :

a. What is the limit after which I should do TDS?

b. TDS at what rate?

c. What to do with Tax I have deducted?

d. What all details of my land lord will I require?

e. Will I require a TAN?

f. If yes then how do I get a TAN?

g. What form / Certificate do I need to give to my landlord for the Tax Deduction done?

Replies (3)

Hi Ritesh

        An Individual or HUF* cannot Deduct TDS As per section 194 I. So if ur an individual U cannot Deduct TDS. If ur not an Individual then

A) U have deduct TDS if aggregate amount paid to ur Landlord exceeds 180000.

B) 10% - Land & Building , Furniture & Fittings & 2% - Plant & Machinery, Equipment

C) U have to deposit to Govt through Challan no 281 within 7th of next month in which u deduct TDS to avoid Interest. Then for Apr - Feb the last date of deposit of TDS is 31st mar & for Mar it is 30th Apr with interest of 1.5% every month. If u didnt deposit the TDS deducted amount within respective dates then the rental expenses will be disallowed.

D) U need ur Lanlord's PAN No that is enough if he didnt give his PAN NO. then u have to deduct TDS at 20% instead of 10%

E) Yes ur Firm/Company shoul need a TAN No.

F) Fill the TAN Application & submit to the Income tax Office They will allot u the TAN No as soon as possible.

G) Form 16A.

* Individual Or HUF has to deduct TDS if his Gross Receipts Exceeds the monetary limits specified under clause (a) or clause (b) of section 44AB during the financial year immediately preceding the financial year in which such income by way of rent is credited or paid, shall be liable to deduct income-tax under this section 

Thanks I hope this info helped u.

R Shriram.

When you are an individual and in the previous financial year,  your business is coming under Tax audit situation, then in the current year you have to deduct TDs.

 

Otherwise,  NOTHING to worry.

 

correct me if i am wrong.

Hi Siva

       Ur Correct............

Thanks for info.....

R Shriram

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details