Easy Office
LCI Learning

Sap FICO and CAs

Page no : 9

Sheli Sehrawat (SAP Business Consultant)   (767 Points)
Replied 16 January 2013

Dear All, Its been long that I last saw the thread updates. I know its a bit late but still I would like to answer the last left queries. Here are my answers:

KAMAL RUSTAGI:

I understand your situation and appreciate the fact that you want to cover the risk with some additional qualification. However I feel that if you do not have even slight exposure of SAP (even in your articleship), only a certification won't help.

I won't say the SAP certification does not add value, it surely does. But one module certification costs you around 4 lacs (if you are not a qualified CA) and its a big risk to invest this big amount in the certification unless you already have some references ready where you will be able to find work after SAP certification.

I would also like to suggest you to take a look at the past working experiences you have had and see what you are good at... then try to add the degree in THAT area.. eg.g if you are good at Taxation, you can do some certification in International Taxation (just an example).

In the end, I would suggest you to do your research on a wider scale and select your option from a wider list. And if money is not a constraint, then you can go for the certification please.

Cheers

Sheli

Replied 16 January 2013

Dear Srinivas,

Here are the answers to your queries:

1. Whether this imbalance will change after doing the SAP FI,

Yes off course the work-life balance will be better after you join consultancy profile in SAP.

This is because here, the manual work of vouching and report preparation is replaced by real time configurations in SAP. Also, because there is always a standard time given to complete a project, we never feel loaded too much at any point.

1. As you mentioned in one of your Post that there could be a Saturation point, but is it at earlier level or at the same level as normally CA in the industry.

For a CA in Finance and reporting role or in Auditing role, he/she is always working in same industry area, with the same team, for the same profile (internal audit/stat audit/annual reporting); so it gets monotonous after about 2 years or so.. You can’t find new work area unless you leave the organisation itself.

However as an SAP Consultant, you might be working with Life Sciences and Healthcare industry once and Telecom industry at another time. Always with a different team with different sub-modules to concentrate (sometimes Bank Accounting, sometimes Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payment Programs, Accounts Receivable, Asset Accounting, Profit Center Accounting, Cost- Budget Analyses etc), Different client exposure etc.

It can be said very safely that it takes about 5 years to know each and every detail of FICO modules of SAP, then there are more modules to explore.. Treasury, BPC etc.. the saturation point is out of sight even at 10 years down the line.

1. When I look in the industry, I see many CAs are working like dog for the very small compensation,is the same continues in this field also?

I feel that after a point of time it’s not money that you want, you want a perfect balance in Compensation-Amount of work you do- Career Progression- Personal Life. If I take this equation in mind, the package offered by IT giants to CA + SAP Consultant are pretty good, the starting package being 40,000 PM in hand to a fresher.

1. Whether we work as CA or we also become an Engineer by work?

It’s up to you how you approach the new profile. You wouldn’t have posted this query had you been satisfied with the current profile. Most of the CAs in Reporting, Auditing profile seek change in profile only because they are not finding it exciting and challenging anymore. They want something new and challenging to do.

I respect those who always stick to working in what they have studied. However I feel that learning new things everyday is a challenge in itself. You are respected, appreciated and rewarded for that.

So I would say, yes, you should be open to having some technical know-how to better perform your work without the help of engineers but you always have the choice to say NO to any technical works.

Cheers

Sheli

1 Like

Replied 16 January 2013

Dear Narayana Sir,

Age never becomes an issue unless you yourself want it to be. However, yes, some technical know-how always gives you an edge in getting the right job in ERP.

Whether you should switch will totally depend on the previous profile you were working in. SAP has almost every corporate process covered in their ERP tool. Whatever area of Costing/ Budgeting/ Analysis you have been working, they are all covered by CO (Controlling) Module of SAP.. If you were in Finance and Reporting, then FI (Financial Accounting) module is best for you to work in.

Since I don't have much details, I am not being able to give you a clear idea of things. I would just like to say that SAP is an evolving technology in India and there's quite a lot of scope in it.

Regards

Sheli Sehrawat

1 Like

Replied 16 January 2013

Dear Akansha,

Here are the answers to your queries:

1. Is my decision to switch my line from finance to SAP consultant is rite or not. And if I do so, then what about my 6 yrs if experience which is from non technical background, is my exp count at the time of getting into sap field.and in what particular  profile.

Your 6 years of experience will be counted but not as the actual experience but as a secondary experience (an experience to help you develop right base for learning a new technology).

On the face of it, 6 years of analysis experience in Finance does not really give you the idea that somebody will switch to SAP profile. However there are riders attached with every belief and thought.

I would personally not go for a change of profile after developing 6 years of technical expertise in Equity/Finance research when I know that the compensation, career progression and corporate experience offered by two profiles are almost same. I would rather switch to a better organisation with more challenging role.

1. I spoke to many ppl who r currently in same field and they have suggested me many modules which suites me like.. saP FICO ....sap FSCM ....sap IS banking......so plz suggest me which would be better for which suites me requirements and exp both.

For answering this question, I would like to know your area of expertise.

1. as authorized training centres are very expensive , so is it advisable to go into unauthorized training institutes and  what parameters should I keep in mind which searching the same. If u have any idea about decent institute in Bangalore  or any other place as I am searching for online training ,  plz suggest the same to me

When you want to go for a change of profile, you don’t want to appear unprepared right. So, I would suggest, if money is not a constraint, go for the certification only. You won’t be able to show the course joined at unauthorised centers in your resume’.

You can go for online training from authorised institutes if you want. They have some credibility in the market.

I am not certified since I received internal training from the organisation I am working in. I won’t be able to help you in finding the right institute. Internet offers a lot of help. Please do your research.

Cheers

Sheli

1 Like

Anusha Kondapani (SAP Business ByDesign Consultant)   (624 Points)
Replied 06 March 2013

Hi Sheli,

I am CA Final Student, unexpectedly for some reason joined job in SAP Business By Design cloud solution, from past 11 months I am working in SAP Business By Design - Financial module. Since, it is difficult to centrate on studies along with job, now i am in confusion whether to continue in Business By Design or FICO to gain experience in SAP or quit job and continue CA.

Any suggestion please.

Thanks & Regards

Anusha P

Replied 21 May 2013

Dear Anusha,

You will have to elaborate more about what kind of work you do in SAP Financials in order to clearly see which alternative gives you a better career.

Thanks

Sheli

Kiran Patil (Accounts Manager) (121 Points)
Replied 27 May 2013

Hi Sheli,

Really appreciating your effort for answering to almost all quries regarding SAP. 

I hv also some qurries can u pls. suggest me ..

i have experiance of more than 6 year in acct, Finance & Taxation with CA final(1st grp passed) and MBA, MCOM.. & expecting will clear 2nd group this time..

i am also working in good organisation with handsome packages having key role in organisation

But in last few months i had call from big MNCs & High Turnover companies.. but due to still working in  Tally ERP & Companies need SAP working experiance, could not be shortlisted .

Now i want to learn SAP & i think SAP FI & CO Moule be the best for me....else suggest relevant

Secondly whether course done through uncertified institute is beneficial for me & where i can find these institute, 

waiting ur reply ..

p.sreenivasulu reddy (21) (21 Points)
Replied 02 June 2013

HI SHELI,

I AM DOING IPCC NOW I WANT TO DO SAP IS IT NECESSARY TO DO SAP NOW OR MAY I DO THAT IN AFTER IPCC EXAMS. WILL U PLZ SUGGEST ME WHAT I HAVE TO DO I AM IN DILEMMA RIGHT NOW AND ALSO PROVIDE ME CLEAR CUT DETAILS ABOUT SAP & IT'S OPPURTUNITIES DESPARATELY WAITING HERE  

shweta (jglig;oihohj) (53 Points)
Replied 05 June 2013

Hi Sheli,

I'm a recently qualified CA and i'm really confused with the path to choose.I'll be moving to canada next year to join my husband.Do you think FICO will help me to give a good career start (to start with in india and later in toronto) ?

Thanks,

Swetha.

Replied 19 June 2013

Originally posted by : p.sreenivasulu reddy

HI SHELI,

I AM DOING IPCC NOW I WANT TO DO SAP IS IT NECESSARY TO DO SAP NOW OR MAY I DO THAT IN AFTER IPCC EXAMS. WILL U PLZ SUGGEST ME WHAT I HAVE TO DO I AM IN DILEMMA RIGHT NOW AND ALSO PROVIDE ME CLEAR CUT DETAILS ABOUT SAP & IT'S OPPURTUNITIES DESPARATELY WAITING HERE  

Dear Sreeni,

SAP is a few months' course and one needs extensive hands on in order to gain expertise. So, If you join the course now and do not remain in constant touch, I'm afraid you will long forget the application till the time you clear your CA Final.

Hence, I would suggest you to wait untill your CA Final examinations. Meanwhile, keep exploring internet for available learning material for SAP FICO. There are some websites which provide SAP server access for hands on, you might want to try that.

Concerntrate on getting good marks in CA first. When you have decided a career path for yourself, you are already halfway through, I am sure you will go a long way.

Keep Learning!

Cheers!

Sheli

1 Like

Replied 19 June 2013

Originally posted by : shweta

Hi Sheli,

I'm a recently qualified CA and i'm really confused with the path to choose.I'll be moving to canada next year to join my husband.Do you think FICO will help me to give a good career start (to start with in india and later in toronto) ?

Thanks,

Swetha.

Dear Swetha,

SAP is an internationally accepted ERP, grabbing 60% of the ERP market throughout the world. And in your case, this profile looks even more relevant since you are moving to a country where same accounting principles and reporting standard are not followed and you might want to settle in a profile that gives you flexibility to work in either country. 

From the information I have, there is a good number of organisations using SAP in Canada. I myself did one implementation for a Govt. funded hospitals group in Canada.

I think the CA degree will also give you an edge against many who are not professionally qualified in Finance & Accounts. Organisations all over the world prefer a CA + SAP than a B.Com + SAP.

So don't be confused, start learning from whatever source available. Or you can also try unauthorised SAP learning centers providing SAP know how (without certification).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sheli

shweta (jglig;oihohj) (53 Points)
Replied 04 July 2013

Originally posted by : Sheli Sehrawat

Hi Sheli,

Thanks a lot for the insight.

Originally posted by : shweta

Hi Sheli,

Thanks,

Swetha.

Dear Swetha,

SAP is an internationally accepted ERP, grabbing 60% of the ERP market throughout the world. And in your case, this profile looks even more relevant since you are moving to a country where same accounting principles and reporting standard are not followed and you might want to settle in a profile that gives you flexibility to work in either country. 

From the information I have, there is a good number of organisations using SAP in Canada. I myself did one implementation for a Govt. funded hospitals group in Canada.

I think the CA degree will also give you an edge against many who are not professionally qualified in Finance & Accounts. Organisations all over the world prefer a CA + SAP than a B.Com + SAP.

So don't be confused, start learning from whatever source available. Or you can also try unauthorised SAP learning centers providing SAP know how (without certification).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sheli

GAURAV JALAN (PRACTICING) (23 Points)
Replied 04 July 2013

HI,

will it be better to get SAP certification from ICAI or ATOS?

Replied 17 July 2013

Originally posted by : GAURAV JALAN

HI,

will it be better to get SAP certification from ICAI or ATOS?

Hi,

ICAI is better for following reasons:

1) Lower Cost

2) Though you will get more hands on trainings and improved coaching in ATOS, it doesn't really matter because they are all aimed at passing the certification exam only. However, what matters is exposure to real-time developments which you can get only when 1) you have a dedicated system with SAP, which you will anyway have at ICAI and 2) when you practise, practise and practise.

3) Relevance (Because all the candidates in the batch would be CAs (and not MBAs, commerce grads, engineers etc) and the class will be oriented towards common financial scenarios that every CA faces. It will help you relate with the sessions better.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sheli

AlishaD (MM) (28 Points)
Replied 28 July 2013

Hi Sheli, 

I am commerce graduate and keen to pursue SAP in FI-Co module. I have 6 yrs. of work experience and aware of accounting. Could you please suggest me some good institutes in Delhi/NCR or Hyderabd? Is it necessary to join classroom training or I should go for online training? Your thoughts/inputs would be appreciated. 

Thanks  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: