Response to Eco. Times article ;"MBA losing to CA......"

jose.p (CA in service) (1676 Points)

12 April 2010  

An article has been posted in Economic Times "MBAs losing to CAs.....". Link is https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News-By-Industry/Jobs/MBAs-losing-out-to-CAs-as-decision-makers/articleshow/5786033.cms?curpg=1

Here's my counter-arguments against the author.

a) I read the article and I remembered the same news company had lambasted starting salary being given to CAs in its another newspaper “Ahmedabad Mirror” in the same city where this was published. I didn’t know within 2 weeks ; the value of fresh CAs has increased so much and disproportionately.

b)  The same city; where placements of CA in 2009 and 2010 was so unsuccessful; and even good passouts didn’t get jobs and their average salary was 3.5 lacs(if they were lucky to get jobs; many went home empty handed).TY undergraduates in DU got better starting average salaries ie 4lacs pa.( 2 TY students ; not doing any other course got 34lacs pa each).

c)  I can feel pity at the logic of the writer: he is comparing good CA students and MBA passouts from unrecognized, gandaa, or even show-off college( one I will name for u: IIPM). IF you wanna compare; compare Ricky Ponting with Sachin Tendulkar(how-so-ever ricky tries; saching will remain 3 steps ahead: Same with MBA); DON’T compare Michael North and Sachin! Got it…………

Bro, compare dummy articleship wala CA and MBA from Harvard. Aukat maluum padh jaegaa.

d) The author should have taken current market situations and the opinions of senior HR officials in top-notch companies: they will show you the true picture.

e) And they say after CAs will have already undergone 3/3.5 years rigorous articleship ; that they can kept at work from first day.

I) Mr author; are all CA students trained in PWC,Ernst and Young,KPMG, Deloitte?

ii) How can a article trained in a small firm who only does tikdaa in a small town say Pali, be able to handle all the so-called functions that “budhhoo” MBAs can’t even handle?

iii) Even a CA student from a metro say dilli wont be able to handle all work in a co. from day one.

f) All the quotes are from CAs or accountants. So there are chances of that being BIASED.

g) And they are saying MBAs, due to peer pressure, ask for bigger salaries; and are less loyal to organizations and CAs are namak halaal like Amitabh Bachhan. MBAs ho yaa CA; they will expect salaries as per their academic profile, their area of preference, market demand,etc.  So, as per the author; MBA waale pagal hain; even a MBA from some Jhumritalaiya Uni. Will demand 1 Crore annual salary (which IIM,ISB wale get) as starting salary; while CAs will say,” Jo marji, aapki malik.”

The second part may be true, kyunki CA pass karne mein agar jyada time ,attempt lag gaya; jo CAs will be desperate for a job, and wont negotiate.(Read the same Ahmedabad Mirror article).

h)Changing tax scenarios will obviously tilt it somewhat in favour of CAs in the junior/middle level. But as per the article as “decision maker”; as if all the decisions is taken by the main person(say ceo); and he is not having facility to have brainstorming sessions with his juniors. As per me; if the need of such tax system is so paramount; the non-CA can be given small course; for nitty gritty his juniors who are CAs/lawyers/CMA will explain that too me. Mr author, don’t me; that the MBA CEO is a duffer.

i) Lemme quote something,” While MBAs are being hired for purely sales, marketing or international trade functions” from the article. Majority of directors/ chief executive of finance dept. are non-CAs. Gotchaa. They may be MBA,CFA and even CMAs too.

j)One thing that is very much true; that the scenario and healing economy surely has shown the world that we CA or CA students are not simply “muunim”. We too can make decisions.

k) And the author is weighing the articleship of CA more better and fructifying than that of small selective internship of MBA( he names 3 years of articleship as the decisive factor); lemme re-iterate one thing that 80-90 pc of CA students are LANGUISHING IN SMALL FIRMS where our exposure is very limited. Income tax returns banaoo;TDS return file karo, tikdaa maro; tally mein purchase bill entry karo; audit report banawo as per tally BS. So when we get job at reliance; our boss will tell us to make ITR of Mukesh Ambani.;)

While , barring b-schools who are frauds; other give proper  exposure to the industry; say IIM student doing internship at  Barclays bank; that will help him to gauge his abilities and deficiencies before joining it before hand.

On the other hand; FRIENDS PLEASE TELL ME HOW ICAI HAS MADE INDUSTRIAL TRAINING ACCESSIBLE TO STUDENTS. AND THEY FURTHER CUT DOWN THE SCOPE OF EXPOSURE BY BANNING TRANSFER TOO.AND WHAT ABOUT THE CASE IN 2007 WHERE ICAI REJECTED PROPOSAL OF ARTICLESHIP UNDER CAs IN INDUSTRIES.

To conclude; CAs will be CAs and MBAs will be MBAs. It is true that CAs value has increased a lot than it was 10 years back. But we still have a lot way to go.