ITR2 weird behaviour

3 hours ago, my AY2020-21 ITR2 excel was filled completely. I pressed Calculate Tax and I got some tax amount to be paid. I immediately paid that tax amount (Self assessment) and entered the BSR details on Schedule IT.

I saved the ITR2 excel within 2 mins and pressed Calculate tax. It showed me Net Tax Payable as zero. I did not generate XML then.

Three hours later I opened my ITR2 excel again, no changes to any income head for sure. Now ITR2 shows some very small amount of tax still to be paid.

How can this happen? What changed in 3 hours? In the ITR2 excel I changed nothing.

Replies (5)
Quick Summary
A user reported a peculiar issue with their ITR2 tax return where the payable tax amount changed inexplicably within a few hours, despite no data modifications. Following advice, they found that disabling the internet connection while filling out the form and calculating tax resolved the problem. This suggests that an active internet connection during these stages might be causing the unexpected tax discrepancies.

Download a fresh copy of Itr 2.
do not import data from the previous file.
while filling the required details.
internet must be switched off.
after your XML is ready upload the XML.Now internet is required.
You can use pre filled XML
Originally posted by : sabyasachi mukherjee
Download a fresh copy of Itr 2.do not import data from the previous file.while filling the required details.internet must be switched off.after your XML is ready upload the XML.Now internet is required.

Thank you, this trick worked. I had to switch off the internet WiFi on laptop during entering details and till the Calculate of income tax. The old ITR2 excel is now deleted. The small tax payment due is not appearing now.

 

What happens when the WiFi internet is kept ON and we enter and Compute Tax?

How does internet connection changes the Tax Payable amount?

I have tried this out for myself numerous times.
It worked.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details