Is cost of smartphone deductible?

Hi there,

I work as a freelance mobile application developer. I bought two phones - Android phone (cost Rs.11k) in April'11 and an iPhone 4S (Cost Rs.44.5k) in Dec'11. The purpose of these phones are strictly for development, testing and debuging of apps that I develop. I rarely use these phones for my personal use (I have a cheap nokia phone for that).

Question:

1. Can I show cost of smartphones as expenses? Is it fully deductable? (Btw. I wish to allocate 80% of invoice value as expenses, if possible).

2. Can I claim depreciation of those phones in next years filing? if yes, is it @ 15% for Smartphones?

As per requirement of my profession I may have to purchase more than 1 phones every year and I'm wondering if deductions and depreciations are allowed here.

I'd reallly appreciate your reply.

Thanks!

Tamal

Replies (2)

Your profession is developing mobie apps and the phones you have purchased for your research and development purpose,should be categorized as depreciable capital assets .You can claim depreciation @ 15%p.a on the WDV on the same every year.And you cannot show these as expense and claim depreciation as if that happens, logically that would amount to Double Tax shield which would,in no way be permissible.

 

Thanks for ur reply. Yea I was thinking about that 'Double tax shield' as well. Many thanks for the clarification.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details